84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ifflandtoyoter's 1985 Truck Build up thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ifflandtoyoter's 1985 Truck Build up thread

hey guys .. I just bought an 1985 toyota truck ... I am 16 and wanted one of these since i first saw one..

i have some work to do to it .. fix a hole in the frame clean up rust ..and i want to do a couple of things to it .. down the road can anyone tell me if this is an sr5? or a reg toyota truck it has the 22r in it and 31 inch tires.. i love it! ... its fun in the snow up here in michigan
has smitty built bumbers well thats what she looks like for now ... got alot i want to do to it .. there is to many options to choose from ... but for starters i a mgoing t oput new shocks and rubber joints on the shackles to smooth out the ride .. the shocks in the front are rusted off ahahaha.. and there isnt any rubber shackle joints ... I think theres a lift on it but cant really tell bye the leaf springs cause it looks stock under there to me.. and there is brand new exaust on here too... Tell me what u think about her... I need to come up with a name for her too

for sum reason only one image is posted just click on links below to see the rest of the pics..

Last edited by dropzone; 02-10-2011 at 05:49 PM. Reason: fixed your pics
Old 02-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
fixed your pics for you...you had just pasted the link, you need the code with the [img]your pic[/img] around it
Old 02-12-2011, 09:20 AM

oh thanks .. man ... im new to this forum .. I am on An IH forum and one from to another is different ....
Old 02-13-2011, 07:28 PM

nice truck bro, if you don't mind me asking what did you pay for it?
Old 02-14-2011, 05:26 PM

I payed 1200 for it.... yesterday my little town was out of power so i went to my buddys shop and we took off the front bumper and sanded it down one the rust and I am a huge IH fan so i put a IH emblem a kid at school made for me on a cnc machine..then put a coat of paint on the bumper to stop the rust. so this summer we can clean it up and we ran vacuum lines on it and it runs like a hole new truck !!... we are going to re weld the shocks back on the front axle they broke right on the weld ... and we have frame work to do ... I hope to get those shocks welded back on this week ... and we put a new stereo in it and antenna...man the truck rides ruff with the front shocks just setting there ahahaha..we have some ideas about making a flat bad deal for it.. i want to really clean the truck up.. the reason it is rusted so bad is it was drivin on heavily salted roads in the city actauly this is the first time the thing has seen the country ... it was a Import car shops parts getter and avertised on it..
I like it and the 4x4 is insane!
Old 02-15-2011, 05:37 AM

First of all welcome to YT. For the bumper you ought to try por-15 its a little pricey but its bullit proof good for bumpers and frames helps stop rust too. are you a pretty good welder?
Old 02-15-2011, 02:01 PM

well I am a newb at welding and stuff but im not bad for never welding in my life... my buddy is and his dad is an awesome welder ... Ill look into that por-15 stuff im not welding or anything till spring ... well its going to be a fun little truck
Old 02-15-2011, 05:06 PM

well im gonna subscribe to this for sure. I think it is an SR5 not positive though keep us posted and update pics often.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:11 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
POR-15 on bumper asnt a good idea. I hear it doesny like those evil uv rays.

Sweet truck! Nothing wrong with a little rust, it gives character
Old 02-16-2011, 06:20 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info 2door I will just stick to using it on my frame when I pull my engine next week, Thanks! also that probably explains why my fathers bumper faded so fast.

Last edited by 4runFreak; 02-16-2011 at 06:24 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:54 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
SR-5 I think means it should have a tachometer in the guage cluster and usually has cloth seats and cloth door panels. If it's all vinyl it's a DLX. I did want to inform you that the GTI emblem on front came from a Volkswagen Rabbit. You can use POR-15 on the bumpers or wherever but you have to give it a coat of another paint such as Rustoleum because it does fade. But it seems to be the prefered rust coat. It looks like a fun first truck!

Last edited by Nervo19; 02-16-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:10 PM

Thats what went wrong my dad did not paint over the por-15 on his FJ40
Old 02-18-2011, 05:04 PM

ya i no the gti emblem came from a rabbit the truck came from a foreign car workshop .. and it also has a 5.2 liter emblem on it from a dodge... and they used this to get parts and stuff and drive around the city in the winter ...the funny thing is this is the first time it has seen the country.. the reason it is all rusted out is cause it was on heavy salted city roads !...

well I welded the front shocks back on!!! man totally different truck! and we tossed a coat of black paint to prevent the rust to get worse on the front bumper.... me and a friend after school went and hit some puddles we got 50 degree weather here in michigan and so we had some back road fuN! ... the truck doesnt have a tach on it so i guess its a DLX then and its all vinal with some pretty classy interior ahaha...
I love the truck more and more.. im sure havin fun with it... it doesnt get the greatest gas milage i thought it would ahahah but its better then my dakota was i sold the dakota cause it only got 12mpg but it had the big ol 318 in it and she sure was fun .. but not anywhere near like this thing! .. I also have a 1957 IH truck I bought when I was 14 I wanted to restore it but dotn have the tools or money too so i am going to part it out or sell it hole and put the moen yi get from that into this truck...
Ill be asking alot of questions on here and stuff igot alot of work to do on her ... but ill get pics of the frotn bumper and shocks and better ones that arent blurry ..ahahaha

well talk to u later guys
Old 03-07-2011, 10:57 AM

Hey guys...well i have been cruisen around in the truck .. and enjoying it... i guy is buying my 1957 A-122 ih truck tomorrow for 400 ... with that i am getting a toyota supra that a woman has and was going to sell to the junk and i told her i will take it off of her hands for the price the junk will give her .. and it drives!! so the ni am goign to sell it to get some more cash .. i found 2 other trucks that have real nice bodys one on CL and one out of my town sitting next to a barn.. so i a mgoing to try and get one of those cheap....

oh I went and hauled some stuff for a lady and in her yard she had an old toyota camper... 81 i asked her if they wanted to sell it... and i was thinking of a cool project... take that and put the leaf springs and suspension from a sr-5 toyota and put four wheel drive in it and stuff... some big wheels too .... and it would look pretty sweet ride up higher and stuff ... it has the same engine mine has too .. and its nice in the inside .... its just one of my ideas that is in the back of my head... ahahah sounds like i need to get a job ...
Old 03-07-2011, 12:36 PM

Sounds like you got this all figured out good job bro. Need more pics of the truck soon.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:31 AM

hey guys.... I traded my truck for an 88 toyota pickup wit ha bad engine.. and got a engine to put in it it isnt rusted out either has a fiberglass bed it does have some bad rocker rust though... i got to keep my bumpers toolbox radio and exaust on my other truck too... so we did an engine swap.. and after about 2 weeks of driving it went out .. it has a bad knock!... and cant be driven... the guy who got me the engine got it from a guy who had it sitting out side under a leanto with no plugs in it was a bad deal .. and I didnt no that... so the engine was junk....so I just got another truck .. a parts one .. a 1984 pickup with like nop frame and no bed .. I drove it home and it ran awesome it sat for 10 years and started right up... so i have to swap it into my 88 now ... ahahaha