84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

dunnarunner's 1985 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea ill have to get on that then, i have 2 8ft by 1ft sections of diamond plate in my garage maybe ill make the cubby holes fancy ha
Old 06-20-2010, 02:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

You never know until you give it a go, ,mine is checker plate alloy, but the carpet hides all that. I was thinking of leaving it that way, but our sun will have those plates as hot as BBQ plates in no time at all. So to avoid being burnt, I decided to cover them.

Clive.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:17 PM

Talking

Hello again, I have changed my bonnet and painted it the same as the rest of the car, I am not sure if I want to have the bonnet scoop thing on there yet, kind of thinking new paint with a new look. I think if I do put a scoop back on , it will be a different design. I finally decided that the Calais dash is going in. I bought a lot of things to make it fit and so fit it will. hehe once I made up my mind about putting it in, it seemed to be not so much trouble after all. Don't mind the steering wheel, I don't know if I like it yet or not.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:12 PM

Talking

Tail lights from USA turned up today, I am not sure if the turn indicators are legal here however, with a flashing red light on the bottom tail light. I do think they look good, so I think I will make the clear one at the top, the turn indicator and use an orange bulb, and re locate the reversing lights to the bumper.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:56 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
looks great Clive ..

not a fan of the steering wheel though .. had one in my hydroplane for while , but soon swiched it out .. looks cool , but not practical

Old 07-18-2010, 07:09 PM

I took it out for a bit of a drive the other day, and the steering wheel proved itself to be quite useless in the bush. Both too small and I need the top and bottom of it as well So I took it out and put the old one back in. I took it out again yesterday and it felt much better. Working on my rear bumper now, my auto sparky never came around to wire in the dash so I am quite annoyed, but what can you do? So I am just pushing to the next stage Carpets are on order and the rear one has to be made up seeing as how I want it to be just like the original one. It goes up the back of the rear seats, and is over locked all the way around so when you lay the rear seats down the carpet is already on the back to complete the covering without any breaks in it. the carpet manufacturers here make a rear carpet but it only covers the floor and doesn't go up the backs of the rear seats, I guess I am too fussy sometimes.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:31 AM

bad ass, keep up yhe good work
Old 07-23-2010, 11:20 PM

Talking

Things have been a bit slow lately but now I have my week ends back I can get onto some more things, one of the things I had to try and sort out was the indicators. I have moved them away from the bull bar and placed them solely on the front blinker it self, this posed a problem because now there isn't enough electricity to operate the indicators at a slow rate now, so I have fitted some extra lights to the side, alas not enough power being used to make it work though, maybe have to go LED. I have also got a start on the rear bumper come storage area. (for compressed air) So we will have to wait and see what happens next.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:54 PM

Talking

Well today it rained ](*,) So I got bugger all done really, I opted to use the original idea I had in mind, I put the orange globes back into the bull bar and fitted some LED in the grille for the parking lights. I hope that will be enough. The extra 21 watts of power being used, only made things go back to normal, so I am a little bit happier.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:13 PM

Well people, I finally got all my instruments working, and time to get serious about the finishing of my dash. I must admit I am happy it has all worked out in the end.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:39 PM

nice .. I really like the electronic dash ..

Old 08-09-2010, 08:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Amazing man. I like the dash too. Keep updating please.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:26 PM

I also added a new water filler to the side, I think it is better than just the flap I had there before.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:41 PM

Talking

Well people, I have been out and about with the old girl again, and it is starting to look like a 4 Runner again. I have put a spare canopy on it for now while I attack the original one to make it match up with the mess I have made so far with it.

Then into the garage to attack the canopy after pulling all the windows out. I am staying with the grey instead of black for all of my trimming pieces.

I will take some more things tomorrow as the light is fading rather quickly now.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:28 PM

Dang that looks good. I like it alot! Props man
Old 08-15-2010, 04:43 PM

is that an air conditioner I see ? .. sept you got it pointed the wrong way ?

Old 08-15-2010, 07:28 PM

Talking

Well I have decided to remove the consul from the roof and take a more plain approach, I used vinyl to cover the roof with this time around. It is the same as the covering on the tops of the doors.

I also took to the canopy again to give it the final touches but I decided to show how I went about it, just so people could see the methods I used to get the results I was looking for. I am also keeping with the theme of no black but metallic gun metal grey. My first step was to mask it up and then go around the top part with the air brush, I used this as the main part of my patterns and I thought it would be silly to change it at the end.

Then just throwing a bit of paper over the area just air brushed and use the touch up gun to lay the grey around the window frame of the rear window, making sure to get all the areas right up against the rubbers. It is only a small area, but it can ruin the efforts you have put into it by having that unsightly little bit of white right against the rubber. I know it is a real let down, I am ready then for the metal flake to go on.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:12 PM

Talking

Yes it is an air con you see, for the lounge room, I agree it is pointing the wrong way, that is why I have to have a fan there instead.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:45 PM

Looks damn good. You do good work!
Old 08-16-2010, 05:55 PM

Talking

Well the canopy went on today, and the windows went in as well, everything will hit slow gear now for a while.I have to wait for the carpet to arrive. I have even ordered some mouldable carpet to line the canopy with, it can be moulded to all the funny shapes I need to make all look finished, then I will be looking for some new seats. then it will be getting close to going back on the road. The bike is good fun but I do wish I had my car to drive sometimes.

Quick Reply: dunnarunner's 1985 4Runner Build-Up Thread