84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

85 4runner build. Tommy in SoCal

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 4runner build. Tommy in SoCal

This is my first 4x4. Its an 85 4runner thats stock and unmolested. I sold my 2wd Ranger so I could get back into a Toyota and a 4x4 to boot. I'm pretty green to building a 4x4 so any advice is welcomed.
Thanks in advance.

My front leafs look pretty sad
Old 09-24-2012, 08:36 AM

Clean Runner!
Old 09-24-2012, 08:43 AM

indeed a very clean 4runner, current plans with it?
Old 10-06-2012, 07:07 PM

Well I added a smitty bumper in the rear I got at Pick a Part. I want to do a 3" Lift. 33" BFGs , Lockers. Body Armor.
Any hook ups or deals let me know.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you plan on lifting / locking and playing in rocks look into high steer set up. I Incourage people to look into wrecking yard lifts that work better than most out of box lifts for half the price. Rear up front Toyota springs / Chevy 63" leafs / f150 leafs / wagoneer leafs and many other options to look into without spending a arm and left to get great performance that most out of box lifts don't supply. other than that very nice runner amd a great start for sure.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:28 AM

85 4runner suspension build questions

Originally Posted by 775Toy
If you plan on lifting / locking and playing in rocks look into high steer set up. I Incourage people to look into wrecking yard lifts that work better than most out of box lifts for half the price. Rear up front Toyota springs / Chevy 63" leafs / f150 leafs / wagoneer leafs and many other options to look into without spending a arm and left to get great performance that most out of box lifts don't supply. other than that very nice runner amd a great start for sure.
Thanks. Ive been searching the forums and trying to find more leaf spring info.Im sure its out there but finding it has wasted a few hours. People should be more specific in there titles.
Could you give some tips on what springs work on what applications? I had posted the question on rears up front and no replys.
And after you put Chevy 63"s on what length shocks are you running?
AND my steering box is leaking so I need to go find one at pick a part. But Im reading that I should go with a 2nd gen box. Does it bolt in or am I modifying my column?
Sorry for all the nubie questions. I have access to a qualified welder so welding in shackles for my leafs can be done. Ive read that 11 inches from old shackle eye to new shackle eye. Then I read just but new shackle to old one and thats good.
This is my DD so I cant have a week of down time. I need all my parts collected and all the research done before I tear it all apart.

Thanks for any and all help!!
Old 10-07-2012, 09:56 AM

The length of shock all depends on the set up. Once springs are hung you need to measure up travel and droop. Or you can do what most web wheelers do and just buy a 12-14" travel shock and run them in like /\ to cheat the actual travel.
On 63" springs most run 11" from old hanger hole to new , that keeps your axle in the stock location of wheel well. The rear spring hanger is all personal preference, it depends on the shackle angle you want , length of shackle ect. The further back you mount the rear shackle mount the steeper the angle. Buy a 4$ angle finder at harbor freight , will come in handy for many upgrades and projects. What question do you have for the ruf swap ?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:02 AM

And if ya do a second gen steering box you will need a high steer kit. Your box goes front to back ( push - pull steering ), second gen goes side to side ( cross over steering ). The hi steer kit will come with new high steer arms , tie rod , draglink and tie rod ends. Highly reccomended you buy the plate kit to mount that 2nd gen steering box to the frame. You will need to drill 2 holes in the frame to mount the new box, then weld in the frame tubes for bolts to go through ,then weld the plates to the frame and bolt box up. It's a lil more technical than that about placement of box and steps to install it all. My thread shows it almost step by step. Google helped alot , also pirate4x4.com has tons of threads dedicated to DIY setups. Read lots. Pm me if you have questions. I'll try to help best I can.
63 swap
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...-swap-faq.html
Ruf swap
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...front-faq.html
Some hi steer info
http://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/gu...l-instructions

Last edited by 775Toy; 10-07-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:26 PM

Thanks a lot. I'm gonna do more reading for sure then start hoarding parts!
Old 10-07-2012, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by tommytater
Thanks a lot. I'm gonna do more reading for sure then start hoarding parts!

That's how ya do it. Read as much as possible , everybody's set up is a little different. Find what you like and suits your needs. It definatly makes it easier to upgrade when you have done your research amd have the parts piled up.
Looking forward to see what ya come up with.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:33 PM

I posted this in a different forum earlier

Originally Posted by tommytater
I've done the reading on adding the 63" Chevy leafs. But you have to weld the shackle mount on to the frame to accommodate the new length. Just wondering is it the length that gives you the lift? I mean if you took the Chevy leafs apart and used all of them except the Toyota top spring so it bolts back into place would that work? Am I just an idiot?
And can I put rear 86 Toyota 4 runner leafs on my front? I have an 85 runner and my leafs are sad.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:20 PM

63s go in the rear. The lift they provide comes mostly from you moving the front spring hanger 11" forward to the flat part of the frame. Adding a lil longer shackle also adds some lift . You will want a longer shackle using the 63s. Most run a 5 or 6" shackle.
Toyota rears up front alone don't do much for a lift by themselves. Usually people who go this route add some leafs to make a custom pack. Rears up front are used mostly because the are longer than stock fronts , so it pushes the axle forward a few inches for better approach angle , and they flex really well. Most people who do rear up fronts weld on a new front spring hanger to accommodate the longer springs. Since the spring is longer relocation of shackle tubes in frame get moved , or just run boomerang shackles. But I've seen rear up fronts done using stock spring hanger and really long shackles in the rear (like 8") and cut out some of the body mount due to the long shackle hitting it while flexed.
Read through those links I posted , it's all there.

Last edited by 775Toy; 10-08-2012 at 07:22 PM.