Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Ramses 1982 build-up!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ramses 1982 build-up!

Alright lets try this again as I messed up my last one and nothing works most likely cause I didnt follow the guidlines and sorry for that!!

Here is my 1982 that a picked up about 2 years ago originally was for the may long weekend to have a truck to wheel then bring back and tear it down and do things over time to the truck. That being said I ran into a problem with frame rust and snapped the frame in 6 spots. Did some spot welding with a club in camp where we were camping so I could wheel the trail planned on and the whole reason for the trip. That all being said on after running the trail successfuly the frame packed it in and took 4 hours to get the truck to the main road where I could park it and go pick up my DD and a trailer and trailer it home.

Again hopefully I did it right this time and sorry to the admins!

Not much give on the rear end flex a bit and the back end picks up but this is a couple days after I got it. The box I put on and made work for the may long weekend trip I was doing and isnt the box I plan on using. Somone chopped the frame when bought to make a long box to short box but I now have a new frame!

Oh and the paint thats on the truck now will not be the paint that I will be having it was already painted all sorts of weird ways when I got it.

Last edited by ramses; 01-31-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lets see some pics and specs and what your plans are for it come on the whole works
Old 01-31-2012, 12:34 PM

Sorry working on the pics for some reason my pics from photo bucket dont seem to want to work so just doing some reading to figure out why
Old 01-31-2012, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try a different site make sure u use there img code
Old 01-31-2012, 07:44 PM

When I got the truck the previous owner had just welded the floor so that there was know holes but it was still open to the elements so I used the grinder to get rid of surface rust and sprayed it with a spray liner still toying with the idea of going to a pull and peel insulation like i saw on another build and then carpet or what I plan on doing but for the time being it worked

And what it looked like after!

Old 01-31-2012, 07:49 PM

Couple action shots of the trail I wanted to do after we got some welding done to the frame in camp

One of the cracks in the frame and some of the weld work lol aint the best but we had to do what we had to do

As well as the ratchet straps to hold me together for the 4 hour journey stuck in 4 lo until I could wedge the truck up and get out

Old 01-31-2012, 07:57 PM

Well lets get into the tear down of the build im slowly plugging away at it but started actually taking some courses as I am looking to change my field of work so I really getting the drive to get it finished more than before found a frame that I now have and plan on getting sand blasted and a few spots that need to be welded other than that its in pretty good shape!

Did a little clean up on it since it was nice and could dry fast so gave it good wash to get all the crap that was on it off and so on

Old 01-31-2012, 07:59 PM

Quick teaser as it stands now I play on doing some work as I do have next day or so off and wanna get the engine out and start working getting the body off.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:12 AM

As it stands theres from what I was told the hybrid build in there which I plan on staying with just need to figure out if its actualy there and if it was done right. Right when I got the truck had a few problems head gasket went shortly after frame and so on. plan for the truck is to run hybrid engine make it mostly a trail rig. I cant decide if i want to go to custom flat bed or if I want to find a stock box for it and work off that thinking new paint custom exo cage with the hybrid engine and have to redo all the wiring for the hole truck as it needs a lot of love to bring it back alive. Oh and this is my first rebuild on a truck so if you see me doing something wrong feel free to tell me lol! Currently looks like theres a 2.5-3" lift in there was toying with idea of going to six but at same time wouldnt mind keeping the lift it has but all new shocks and all going in its sitting right now on 35x12.5 which is the size i most likely will stay with.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:16 AM

This is how it stands today starting to really put the grind down to getting it all torn apart. Today I gonna pull out the windshield as its completely cracked and will need to be replaced, I have a rear slider I can put in place of just the full glass so rear glass coming out today and hopefull I will be able to pull the engine and tranny out I really thinking since I have it all apart I wanna go dual t-cases cause I have a buddy that will do it for cheap but I dont know a hole lot about the rear gears whats in mine now and so on so still reading to figure that stuff out

Old 02-01-2012, 11:50 AM

Love the truck.. Don't go higher stay with your lift now it looks awesome I'm sure you can go about anywhere you want now. Keep up the good work. LOve me some 1st Gens
Old 02-02-2012, 01:00 PM

Just called a guy today that is selling a rebuilt 22r
add says
F/S Completly redone head fits 1985 22r engine.Has been pressured tested,vacuum tested, and beaded.new seals
as well as seats cut and valves lapped in.Comes with rocker assembley and cam.
for $250 thinking pretty sweet deal curious is this have the dual timing chain or any feed back on this much appreciated I know with out seeing it and so on can be hard for input but just looking for general feed back
Old 02-03-2012, 06:59 PM

Nice rig, i like the driverside fender art. What did you use for the interior? What product, and how well did it cure and sit? $250? that sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me.. here in Portland, OR all i find on Craigslist are 22r motors non rebuilt that look like crap for 500 obo
Old 02-03-2012, 07:01 PM

At the very least, rebuild kits for these motors are relatively cheap (around 250+) compared to other car makes.. i had an 86 bmw 3 series that the stock rebuild kit cost around $1700
Old 02-04-2012, 08:52 AM

the stuff I used for the interior of the truck was just a spray in liner kind of material I picked up I think at Canadian Tire if i remember correctly out here and it was pretty cheap cured fine I could find out the name for you just dont remember off the top of my head I have a few half cans put away where the truck is but worked good just need to do a thicker coat but for the trip worked well.

The head I went and looked at was done really well asking 250 but I need the block more, the block where one of the bolts go to the tranny are missing and ripped out

but will know about the condition on everything this week as I planon pulling the engine out tuesday cause got it all prepped and ready to pick