Notices
The Classifieds GraveYard Where old classifieds threads go that are too good to let go

Rockware rear bumper/tire carrier - Shipped Anywhere

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rockware rear bumper/tire carrier - Shipped Anywhere

Item: Rockware rear bumper and tire carrier

Description: See pictures below. This is the bumper Darren and I collaborated on back in 2003. The bumper was designed and built by Rockware using Darren's 2002 4Runner as the template for all measurements. The bumper is powder-coated semi-gloss black (matches the TJM color perfectly). There are two recovery points on the rear of the bumper that will fit a 3/4" shackle. There is a hitch mount on the rear of the bumper that Rockware said is for "recovery purposes only", not for towing. The carrier latch is one of the best I have seen on this type of combo bumper. It has never popped open on me and also has a spot for a padlock to secure the carrier arm and limit access to the rear hatch. The carrier arm has a locking pin located next to the spindle to keep the arm from swinging closed on it's own. The only change I made from the original design was in mounting the license plate. I used an aluminum plate made by Slee Offroad that mounts the plate in the center of the spare tire.

There is a 1" gap between the top of the bumper and the body of the truck (see pictures 5 and 6). Picture 5 is the best photo of the gap on my 4Runner. Picture 6 is of Darren's 4Runner and the identical 1" gap . This was designed for a 4Runner without a body lift so if it is mounted to a BL'ed 4Runner then that gap may be a bit excessive.

Edit:
Picture 5: This is the best photo I have of the gap on my 4Runner. Look at the top edge of the bumper and you can see the gap between that and the bottom of the body lines. Basically what you are seeing is 1" of body that is normally hidden by the OEM bumper.
Picture 6: This is a photo of the same 1" gap on Darren's 4Runner. I posted this one because it is a way better picture. You can see the gap on the left side of the photo below is tail light. (Darren, if you don't want me to use your pic let me know and I will take it off.)

Condition: There are a couple of scratches on the bottom of the bumper from dragging it on the rocks. The spindle for the tire carrier has two sets of roller bearing. When we pulled the tire carrier from the bumper we noticed the lower set of bearings were bad. The top set was fine. There is a rubbing issue I experienced with the bumper mounted on my truck (see picture 4). Apparently our frames were just a bit different so the right side of the bumper (yellow dot on picture) would hit my rear hatch every once in a while...primarily offroad. Keep in mind, picture 4 is not of my 4Runner. The yellow dot is showing approximately where the scuff mark would be on my bumper.

Price: $700 + shipping for the bumper, tire carrier and license plate mount as is. Add $50 if I need to source a new set of bearings for the carrier spindle. Approximate shipping cost is $180 ($150 for ground shipping and $30 for bumper box supplied by Sonoran Steel).

Location: Bumper is currently located in Tempe, AZ. Shipping costs will determined from there.

Contact Procedures: PM me with serious inquiries only.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Picture 4

Picture 5

Picture 6

Last edited by Bighead; 08-26-2006 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:45 AM
lee
Contributing Member

dear god i want this

can we do a $20 per mo installment plan?
Old 08-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if you have a free minute, could you send/post close-up pics of the license plate bracket. i'd like to do something like that with my tire carrier. thanks.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:30 PM

me want so bad
Old 08-09-2006, 06:43 PM
Banned

Wow. . . that is a killer bumper. I wish I had the cash
Old 08-10-2006, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

I would delete this post and make a new one with "Rockware Shipped Anywhere" in the title. That is a key point here, the only way this guy makes bumpers is if you DRIVE to Colorado, this is a Rockware bumper shipped to you anywhere.

Most importantly I need to get it out of my shop. I don't ship bumpers, no one else is offering them, someone needs to wise up and pick this dude up.

It is a once in a blue moon deal to get a Rockware shipped. I would tag line that and emphasize it.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, I paid more than that for my BCC with no tire carrier. Shipping will be around $125 anywhere in America I bet.

Lamm
Old 08-10-2006, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

It needs a box and I have a few left over. Boxes that big are spendy.

Truck freight is what it is. I call it in, they come and pick it up and truck it to you. What ever that cost is.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:00 PM

can I get a beter picture of the "1 inch gap"?
Old 08-11-2006, 07:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Beerdrinker
can I get a beter picture of the "1 inch gap"?
See Pictures 5 and 6 in the first post. I just added those to show the gap. I also added this in the body of the post:

Picture 5: This is the best photo I have of the gap on my 4Runner. Look at the top edge of the bumper and you can see the gap between that and the bottom of the body lines. Basically what you are seeing is 1" of body that is normally hidden by the OEM bumper.
Picture 6: This is a photo of the same 1" gap on Darren's 4Runner. I posted this one because it is a way better picture. You can see the gap on the left side of the photo below is tail light.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Damnit, I should have skipped Costa Rica and gone for this... haha
Old 08-14-2006, 03:06 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Good looking bumper. Make my BCC look cheap.........I really like the latch on the swing arm.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:33 AM
Contributing Member

Bump(ers).
Old 08-20-2006, 09:01 AM

If you still have it in a few months, I'm local! Gotta start saving my pennies...
Old 08-20-2006, 09:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sschaefer3
I would delete this post and make a new one with "Rockware Shipped Anywhere" in the title. That is a key point here, the only way this guy makes bumpers is if you DRIVE to Colorado, this is a Rockware bumper shipped to you anywhere.
Fixed the title.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cebby
Fixed the title.
Thanks Cebby.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member

whats the deal with the gap? your has a BL or does not?
Old 08-20-2006, 05:47 PM
Contributing Member

The gap is stock without a bodylift. That is the way they had it made. I was not involved, I have no more insight.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fireteacher
whats the deal with the gap? your has a BL or does not?
The photos of my truck are without a BL. The gap was by design and something we discussed with Rockware during the development of the bumper.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:40 AM
lee
Contributing Member

doesnt having a BL not matter with a rear bumper? my bumper went up with the BL, no gap back there.

Quick Reply: Rockware rear bumper/tire carrier - Shipped Anywhere