Notices
The Classifieds GraveYard Where old classifieds threads go that are too good to let go

Built 91 Runner- SAS, duals, elockers in Sacramento

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Built 91 Runner- SAS, duals, elockers in Sacramento

91 4runner:SAS, E-Lockers, Dual Cases...
For every season turn, turn...and it's the season to sell my 4runner. Another kid on the way means I won't have time to wheel or wrench for a few years and it would be a shame to let this rig serve just as a street machine. Details:
UPDATE 11/20
Replaced the wheel bearings, trunnion bearings and most of the related seals with Marlin's rebuild kit. Set the preload to 12lbs on the knuckles. Also noticed I had the drag link and tie rod reversed on the steering arm Death wobble seems to be gone.

New price = $8000 OBO Will consider trade for a late model Subaru wagon.

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** *******

General
1991 4runner: 5spd,~142,000 Miles, 3.0 V-6
4 door, black, Herculined on the exterior approximately halfway up the side around the entire truck.
Body is pretty straight, no dents, a bit of waviness on the passenger fender from poor body work. This is NOT a show truck.
Power everything: locks, windows, antenna, alarm, all work. CD player, CB.
Interior is complete, clean, but shows 16 years of use.
Rear tire carrier, modded to raise spare up ~ 3"
Factory roof rack
SAS
Factory Service Manual
Crappy Haynes Manual
50% 35" MTR's on black wagon wheels, full size spare
Engine
Stock 3vz3 V-6. Engine was replaced ~90K miles by Berkeley Toyota after the 3rd headgasket set failed. It's a little unclear if the entire engine or just the block was replaced (I'm the second owner). Runner has ~142K miles on it now but odometer is off due to tire and gear swaps. Passed smog last year with flying colors and I will smog again for the new owner. Good power for a 3vze. Has a mystery oil leak I haven't bothered to track down. Plugs, wires, rotor, cap and large hoses were replaced within 10K miles w/ OEM Toyota. Coolant was flushed at this time, filed with distilled water and green coolant. Runs great, no issues, has never run hot or overheated since I've owned it.
Drivetrain
Transmission Stock 5spd filled with Redline MTL. Once in a great while it pops out of first gear.
Dual cases Below was installed in March of 2007 and has maybe 3000 miles on them (except for the stock chain drive case)
Marlin V-6 adapter, gear drive reduction box/case rebuilt and prepped by Marlin.
MC10-R10 gear drive to chain drive case adaptor.
Stock chain drive case(replaced the seals).
3/8" steel Turtle skid plate customized for the above.
Dual case mounts
Driveshafts
Front is 8" travel, clearanced Toyota double cardan (CV) retubed (.095 wall) by Sac Driveline Service.
Rear is stock travel, clearanced Toyota double cardan (CV) retubed (.095 wall) by Sac Driveline Service.
One of these has new u-joints(US brand) and CV bearings.
Front Axle
Toyota E-Locker High Pinion Dif.
4.88's from All-Pro that are sourced from one of Toyota's gear cutters in Japan. Gears were sent to Bobby Long for Cryo.
Stock birfields re-heat treated by Bobby Long.
Trail Gear wheel spacers
Trail Gear rock rings (extra thick knuckle felt retainers)
Marlin HD axle seals.
ARP knuckle studs
Knuckle seals, gaskets, etc have maybe 15K miles on them, from Marlin.
Stock Aisin hubs.
84-85 front axle, trussed on top.
FJ-80 Rotors
Rear Axle
Toyota E-Locker Dif w/ 4.88's.
Mount for antiwrap bar with captive nuts.

Suspension
Rear: F150 56" hybrid leaf packs. 10" Bilstein 5125's with EVA bumpstops. Shocks are mildly / \ . 5" Foothill Offroad Shackles.
Front: Rancho Waggy Springs w/ 2500 miles on them. 12" Bilstein 5125's. Trail Gear towers and bumpstops. 5" shackles. Trailgear front spring hanger.
Antiwrap: 2 point mount at rear axle using Toyota panhard rubber mounts, front uses adjustible 5/8's spherical rod end to shackle. Built from 2" square tubing.

Brakes
Replacement new OEM Toyota master cylinder ~ 25,000 miles ago.
Summit proportioning valve.
Rebuilt V-6 calipers
FJ-80 Rotors
Stainless flexible brakelines, spring retained.
Steering
Trail Gear High Steer.
Non Trail Gear tie rod ends. I bought some Japanese 555 brand.
Armor
Homebuilt sliders. 2x3 box tube under rockers, 1.75" round tube as step.
Rear bumper: 1.75" round tube wraping around rear quarters, with step, 2" receiver tube for accessories (DEFINITELY NOT RATED FOR TOWING) Integrated recovery points for 3/4 D-ring shackles.
Trail Gear front winch mount not installed. I was going to use this as a basis for a custom front bumper.
Spares
Complete 84/85 front axle assembly (disassembled). Includes birfs, inners, hubs, spindles, knuckles, etc. No 3rd member.
Rear axle housing, inner axles with backing plates.
IFS Steering Box (leaks)
Soft brake lines + front hard lines
Chain Drive Transfer case (works fine)
Tailights, Corner lights, front turn indicator
Coil + Ignitor
Used hoses, belts, u-joints
Full set of u-bolts for front axle, round ones should work on the rear in a pinch.

The Good:
See above. I built this like I was gonna keep it forever. Will do 75 on the freeway no problemo. Comfy to drive, A/C, power everything, very capable.

The Bad:
I built it. So you inherit my welds.
Gas mileage. 15 on a good day, probably less.
On the right undulating road at a very low speed (5-10mph), I get a very rare death wobble that I can accelerate out of. FIXED- See Above.
Marginal body work in a couple places. You can see a slight wave in the driver door, passenger fender and driver rear wheel well. Hood has a slight tweak as well.
ABS has been disconnected and will never work again.
It's a 16 year old 4runner on big tires that handles and stops poorly like any big truck would. Drive accordingly.
I cut one rear wheel and need to cut the other one to match. I'll do it or the new owner can.

Price: $8000 OBO. I did a spreadsheet showing what I'd get if I parted it out and came up with about $8500, which I'm willing, but would prefer not to do. 4runner is in Sacramento area.

Last edited by johnnygalt; 12-02-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:09 PM

pics

pics:

Old 11-20-2007, 08:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
nice runner man
Old 11-27-2007, 06:13 PM

Interior pics: Driver side door panel is representative of all door panels, great condition. Driver seat shows normal wear on side panel. Passenger rear seat has about 10 inches of stitching that has come undone, can be easily fixed with needle and thread, I just haven't gotten around to it. Those are the only flaws with the interior. Aluminum panel below radio holds the switches for the e-lockers. The rear transfer case shifter is located in what used to be the small "cup" below the armrest.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:23 PM

bumpski
Old 12-10-2007, 06:28 PM

sold.

Last edited by johnnygalt; 12-23-2007 at 06:42 AM.