Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

what do u think about Goodyear Wrangler tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what do u think about Goodyear Wrangler tires?

i saw 5
GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R tires for sale. 2 new, and 3 w/ less than 200 miles on them all for $500!!!

they are 35x12.5x15.

just wanted to see what you guys thought of these tires. i was going to get BFG M/T for like $750 new, mounted, and balanced. but if these are good, i may go with these. wat do u guys think?

i kno calrockx just got these and he likes em.

Old 02-20-2003, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

???

I thought the jury was already in on these.

That is one heck of a deal.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:40 AM

yea, general opinion is that they are one of the top 3 tires going. Boggers are at the top of the list, then there is some debate about what's next, but the MTRs are great tires - far better than the BFGs. For the price, you'd be silly not to take them.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:44 AM

sweet. maybe ill pick them up. but man, have u seen the new [URL=http://www.4wheelparts.com/product2.asp?imseqn=1864&occlass=BFGO&cat=TIR]BFG MT KM?[/URL? they look sweet ]

but ill prob get the goodyears

thanks!
Old 02-20-2003, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in agreement with the those guys. That's a killer deal. Jump on it!!!
Old 02-20-2003, 09:46 AM
Contributing Member

The KM's came out in 2000 I think and the MT/R's in 1999, or something like that. I was debating between these 2 last year, but there far more excellent reviews of the MT/R and just more in general on the net. It is a no-brainer if it comes down to these 2 tires.

Edit: This is not to say that the KM's are not a good tire though as that's not the case. I just think the general consensus of the 4-wheeling world is that the MT/R's are in another league. I myself can't say one way or another. I'm just going by real world results from what I've read FWIW.

Looks like you just found yourself a new set of shoes!

Last edited by Darren; 02-20-2003 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by joshik
sweet. maybe ill pick them up. but man, have u seen the new
I just bought a set of BFG M/T's in the 285/75R16 size. they are the ones with the new tread design and they are great offroad. I went mudding three days ago and I don't even have lockers but these things were night and day compared to the BFG A/T's I was running. the lugs clear mud out pretty dang good too, I didn't have to run too far to get it all out after leaving the trail. Just curious but have you looked into how much it will cost to get those 5 goodyears mounted and balanced? I am assuming you are just buyiung the tires and are going to have them mounted and balanced at a shop which will be extra on the $500. Also does the BFG set for $750 include road hazard and lifetime balancing? might be something else to consider. good luck in your choices dude.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:30 PM

Its hard to beat Goodyear MT/R's, sounds like a great deal. We run them on some rock crawlers and daily drivers. Hard to beat
Old 02-20-2003, 03:24 PM

A buddy of mine has the MT/R's in that size (35/12.50/15) on his early model Bronco. They are really quiet on the highway, and perform great in the mud. I haven't ridden in a vehicle with the new BFG's but have heard nothing but good things about them as well. For the price, I'd jump all over the MT/R's.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

Jtrent,

I see you didn't stay in Alabama either after grajee-aysion. Can't wait to see who's gonna win the Iron Bowl next fall. It always seems to go to the underdog.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:13 PM

need to pick them up tommorrow so you have them for saturday when we all go up to gorman ca.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

Re: what do u think about Goodyear Wrangler tires?

i kno calrockx just got these and he likes em.

yes i do
Old 02-20-2003, 09:13 PM

i wanna get them! but wat do u guys think about warranty and road hazard warranty?

BIG-O MTs or BIG-O XT

they have a unlimited warranty

or from like 4wheelparts wholesalers they have a road hazard warranty for 10% of the tire cost.

im just paranoid like that. hahha

even if i got them, i wouldnt mount them right away. i'd finish using up my bfg AT and wait while i save for new rims too.

now i just have to shell out $500.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:28 PM
Banned

On warantee, Big O is the best. Any Big O is replaced for free by any Big O store for free.

My old tires were BFG ATs and I was happy with them. They had good grip, good longevity, good pavement mannors, and stuff. But there is no warantee available. Then price went up VERY HIGH and I decided to look at other options. Enter the Goodyears.

Goodyear MT/Rs have warantees available for $20 per tire, but I doubt they will ever be needed. I have never seen such thick and indestructable sidewalls as the MT/Rs have.

What is better, no warantee and not needing it, or the best warantee and having to use it frequently?

I vote for Goodyear MTRs without the $20 per tire warantee. They have great traction in mud, rocks, muddy rocks, deep sand, snow, gravel, snowy rocks, snowy muddy rocks, icy muddy snowy gravely rocks etc. Then at high pressure (Highway and street) they are very quiet and smooth if properly balanced.

IMHO GY Wrangler MTRs are the only serious choice.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:06 AM
Contributing Member

4wheelparts wholesalers they have a road hazard warranty for 10% of the tire cost.

im just paranoid like that. hahha

I am too. that is where I got my tires and with the unlimited road hazard waranty and lifetime balance. right now they are offering $100 off for a set of BFG's, that's one reason I chose the BFG over the Goodyears. the second reason was I was afraid they would be a bit wider and taller than the bfg's and would rub, the last reason is that I am going to try goodyears the next time I buy a set so now or later I would still give them a shot. personally I like them both the same. I have to agree with the guy that was remarking about the sidewalls too. very rugged tires. I think whether you go with the goodyears or the beefy-g's you will be making a great choice regardless. for the record, I got 60k+ out of my BFG A/T's and they still had over the "Abe's head" of tread left when I got the new M/T's, it's just that running after I installed the SAW's and not getting an alignment killed the inside edge of the tread, not to mentioned Discount Tires couldn't balance them correctly, my advice: don't use Discount Tires.

My opinion is only my opinion.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:44 AM

imma take go take a look at the Wrangler, you guys have convinced me. BUT! i just found out that my gf's uncle owns a tire shop in Los Angeles! NOW SHE TELLS ME!

so imma see how much i can get new tires (WRANGLER MTR) for! YEAII!

thanks for all ur inputs though!

my eyes have been opened! before, it was " oooooh, bfg's ... good.... oooh procomp xterrains... GOOD... " but now, i know that goodyears are great too! and i want those now!
Old 02-21-2003, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by keisur
my advice: don't use Discount Tires.

My opinion is only my opinion.
good advice. i went there when i was tire shopping, and after having to wait like 10 minutes when there were no other customers in there to ask about the wrangler mtr prices, they tell me $850! i tell them i found them at another place for $720, and they scoffed at that, saying there's NO WAY i'll find them for less than $775. i really should stop by there sometime and mention how i got them out the door for $700 afterall.
Old 02-21-2003, 03:56 PM
Contributing Member

they also don't balance lug centric alloys with the haweka adapter either. that is why mine were so out-a-whack! they just spin 'em up and mount 'em back on.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by keisur
they also don't balance lug centric alloys with the haweka adapter either. that is why mine were so out-a-whack! they just spin 'em up and mount 'em back on.
I had that same problem also. I bought my BFG A/Ts from Tire Rack but could not find anybody that had the Hunter 9700 and a Haweka adapter either. After weeks of searching, I found them both...at my local Toyota dealer.

BTW, I have heard nothing but great things about both the MT/Rs and the BFG MTs. My next set of shoes will probably be the MT/Rs.

Last edited by Bighead; 02-21-2003 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-23-2003, 01:20 PM

[i] they tell me $850! i tell them i found them at another place for $720, and they scoffed at that, saying there's NO WAY i'll find them for less than $775. i really should stop by there sometime and mention how i got them out the door for $700 afterall. [/B]

WHERE DID YOU FIND THEM FOR $700

Quick Reply: what do u think about Goodyear Wrangler tires?