Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Not happy with new BRIDGESTONE REVOS

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbob
Did you get the LTs or the Ps? Running 32 psi?
This is what I have --> P265/70SR-16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo

Yes, I am running exactly 32psi all around.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by terryjmatthew
The Alenza is not going to be as good as the Revo in snow b/c it is a less agressive tread design. They both share the Uni-T technology so the "wet performance" should be the same. I dont think you will find a quieter tire on the market than the Dueler HL Alenza.

As far as the Michelin Cross Terrains go, they have marginal wet and dry traction due to a very hard tread compound. They are guaranteed to last longer than the Bridgestones due to this. I have had to replace several due to being "out of round" and gotten quite the run-around from Michelin.
I am not really looking for an ever lasting tread wear, if a tire lasts 20-30K miles that means 2-3 years for the amount of driving i do so I'll be pretty happy. According to Tirerack survey results both have about the same rating for Noise Comfort but it seems like you have more real life experience with both and that Alenza are better in the noise comform department. If Mitchellins were better than Alenza I wouldn't mind paying a little more for them but it looks like they're really not.

As far as snow performance I understand Alenza aren't as good as REVO but they should be better than many other (Lite truck / SUV) All Season tires... correct? For comparison I had been running Mitchellin Energy MXV4 tires on my Honda 4door Sedan (apples/oranges?? ) and in the last 3 years I got stuck only once. On a scale of 1-10 if REVO is a 10 what would be the Alenza ... 7? 8? With the great 4x4 / locker capabilities of the 4Runner I think Alenza should be fine giving me really nice and quite performance on dry/wet pavement 95% of the time year round.

I agree with the post that says you should have two set of tires. That would make my case even stronger for the Alenza (being one of best road tire) and get a dedicated winter/snow/offroad tire on a seperate set of wheels. BTW what would be the best place to look for an extra set of wheels and what would be my options for the dedicated snow/offroad tire. I dont want this thread to go into that discussion...just need some pointers for a start.

I think I'll give the REVO a fair change and run them a few more days to see if I can get used to them. I love their bad-ass look!

I am thankful for so many positive responses!
Old 09-19-2007, 03:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive had the revos for 30K and wore horrible, i dont know if its becasue of poor alignments or what. For the last 10K i have Geolander RTS...a much cheaper tire but the ride is 100% better. So far the wear has been even. Really happy with these tires.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:48 AM

ran the Alenza as my first set of tires and got stuck in the snow left and right! Mine were at about half tread and came with the truck, I got so fed up with them one Saturday night after having to get pulled out of a small ditch I couldn't stand it anymore. The ditch may have partly been my fault as I don't have abs on my 4runner so I believe they locked up, but still spinning out a lightly covered road seems ridiculous to me.

That next morning I went down and had a set of 265x75x16 Revos mounted and couldn't be happier. They ran me through a terrible snow storm last winter mostly in 2wd without any problems, on occasion I kicked in the 4wd for the extra control and playfulness. Most definitely give the revos some time, they are a fantastic tire and have yet to fail me.

Based on my experience, I'd say the Alenzas were a 6 out of 10 compared to the Revo but again I was only running them at half tread so maybe they are better at full. I must say that yes the wet traction was still superb with the Alenzas even at half, but I have a new bid of confidence in the Revos! Very little noise in my opinion...

Good Luck...oh and if you decide to part with the Revos, do put them for sale on here. Never know who might pick them up...
Old 09-19-2007, 04:59 AM
Contributing Member

My Nittos quieted down as I got a few thousand miles on them but if you don't off road much BFGs and the Nittos aren't the best choices.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:22 PM

Got my Alenza and had them installed today. The ride is considerably smoother and YES they are QUIET compared to Revo and I am hoping they'll get even better when they're broken in

I had a hard time letting Revo go back to tirerack but based on my driving conditions in my own personal opinion they were a bit overkill...but I firmly believe that they are GREAT tires for those who truly do a mix of pavement and off-road driving.

Just curious, if you had a separate set of wheels what would your tires be for dedicated snow and off-road driving?

Thanks all for your help.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by p nut
Wow. A tire is a tire?

There is MOST DEFINITELY a difference between tires. The compound, tread pattern, etc. will affect the ride quality, on and off-road handling, different weather conditions, etc.
heh, i know. i was tired. my mistake. i usually tell my friends (who are idiots by society standards) that who cant make up their mind between the tire that is 5 or 10 bucks more and the tire that is 5 or 10 bucks less. you know what i mean? but firestones are really good tires, just dont put em on a ford explorer....
Old 09-28-2007, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by maxb

Just curious, if you had a separate set of wheels what would your tires be for dedicated snow and off-road driving?

Thanks all for your help.

you know, i was thinking this exact same thing earlier. im thinking of keeping my BFG A/T's for street and offroad, and getting another set of rims and putting either procomp M/T, Mickey Thompson M/T, BFG M/T, or BigO Big Foot X/T for extreme offroading. for the BEST handling in the snow... talk to the U.S. Army and see if you can get a tank for cheap. . seriously though, id probably go with super swampers, depending on the offroad your talking about. ive heard swampers are AWESOME in the snow, ive just never personally used em. hell on the street though....