Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Cooper tire Discoverer STT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have these on my 4Runner (315s) and just drove to colorado from tx...awesome. Went off-roading last weekend and here this weekend and they are awesome in everything. Not sure on wear yet, but I like them...ride awesome and grip great. If it snows while I am here, I will update.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A little bump to see more mileage info on these babies
Old 03-01-2010, 07:41 AM

any one know about how many miles u can git out of these tires
Old 03-01-2010, 06:33 PM

Holy old ass post batman!

Expect 25k out of them if you take care of them (rotated regularly, pressures, balanced, etc) maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less. Honestly they're about the same as any other MT out there.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:34 PM

thanks im gona put a set on my yota but its my dd/mudder till the blazer comes out from under the blade
Old 03-08-2010, 09:54 AM

Well I finally picked up a new set of tires last week. I went with the Cooper STT's in a 285/75/16 on the stock wheels. Initial impressions are great, it rides butter smooth and much queiter than the MTR's.....but again its a brand new tire. The tire looks really nice and like it will perform great off road. We had some rain over the weekend and they spin less than the MTR's. I hope to go off roading next weekend and will post my results. I will make it a point to report back after 6months and a year with tread wear and more impressions.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:19 AM

Well I have been running these for about a month now and running into problems. The tires arent round!!! Two of the tires are out of round and when cause bad steering wheel shake, esspecially at highway speeds, the steering feels very floaty and unstable. So I swapped the fronts to the rear, and now the steering is smooth but I feel it in the seat. I have gone back to the tire shop 3-4 times now and they have balanced them the best they could, but because they werent one of thier standard tire lines I am SOL. I have to check into Cooper's warranty and see what they can do.

But in short I am not happy, should have got the Toyo Mt's, they were nearly the same price!!
Old 09-14-2011, 04:12 PM

i love my 31's. they look great and do make some noise on the road. ive made it alot farther down trails full of snow and mud than most. they NEED to be properly aligned because if not they will wear quickly. rotating them and having the proper alignment will save them but even then they arent the slowest wearing tire
Old 09-20-2011, 06:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am gonna bump this again due to the fact that these are on my list. I am getting set to get either 33s or 35s. I do ALOT of driving(40-60K/yr) and dont mind if I buy a set or two per year. But I am at a loss between these, BFG KMIIs or Toyo MTs. Since the Toyos aren't prob available for a while, the Coops are up for the chance to get worn down...

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-21-2011, 08:26 AM

I used to have a set of these cooper tires. I liked them thought they gripped well off road. However, they were noisy and were hard to balance and were not very good on gas mileage. I switch back to the BFG all terrains for the simple fact that those cooper tires are hard to get in PHX for some reason.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was looking to stay around the 33X10.50X15 size. I am trying to convince myself to stay away from the 12.50 width, cuz I am a pizza cutter guy.
Plus I have 15"X7" factory Toy steelies that I wanted to use. I reckon I am gonna have to splurge and find some 16s and go 285/75or85R16s..... But Coop doesnt make this size and BFG is all that left. Leave me alone about the Goodyears guys....
Old 01-26-2012, 05:38 AM

I have them on my lc60. so far so good, quiet for a mud tire
Old 01-26-2012, 09:18 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by BIC performance
Well I have been running these for about a month now and running into problems. The tires arent round!!! Two of the tires are out of round and when cause bad steering wheel shake, esspecially at highway speeds, the steering feels very floaty and unstable. So I swapped the fronts to the rear, and now the steering is smooth but I feel it in the seat. I have gone back to the tire shop 3-4 times now and they have balanced them the best they could, but because they werent one of thier standard tire lines I am SOL. I have to check into Cooper's warranty and see what they can do.

But in short I am not happy, should have got the Toyo Mt's, they were nearly the same price!!
The toyo MT's and the Cooper Discoverer STT's are the same tire..
Old 02-19-2013, 10:56 AM

yes i know... old old thread. but i need some help! Anyone else have their .02 on the Cooper STT's? Originally I was going to replace my worn Firestone MT's with the Goodyears with Kevlar. But then I saw the Coopers. I'd rather have performance than looks and my truck is a DD but see's mud at my house, work, girlfriend's house, etc. looking at 35x12.5/15r. Anymore personal experiences with these tires? I'm happy with my Firestones, but like many people say they will, they have chunked a bit on me.. And I have not wheeled them very hard at all.

So basically Cooper STT vs Goodyear MTR w/ Kevlar. - I live in CA so I dont have that nasty thick mud that makes the Goodyears perform poorly. Looking for how well they do in these conditions which are lots of road, lots of mud, little bit of snow, lots of ice. Dont crawl or anything so they wont see that many rocks.

Thinking about Toyos, but are the Coopers really as good as them like I keep hearing?

Thanks!!! and yes, I have done tons of review searching.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:27 PM

No thread is too old!

I abused a set of 30x9.50 r15 Cooper STTs on my 84 pickup and they lasted 50k miles for me with half of that on gravel roads and on severely poor Wyoming mountain trails. They were an amazing snow/mud tire and gripped like crazy. Never had a flat. I have a set of Hankook M/Ts 32x11.5 on it now and like them as much. Impressed with the Hankooks for sure. Superb in snow and mud!

One thing to keep in mind from the "oil patch" tests in Wyo. is that the STTs don't last on full size 1 ton pickups, but the Hankooks do. STTs should last for a good while on a lighter Toyota pickups and mine did for sure. Even so, lots of guys run the STTs on big pickups anyway because of how well they perform.

I have had BF Goodrich AT and Mud Terrains (hate them both and ATs are death on wet roads in a light truck), have had GoodYear MTRs and the Kevlars (both are good tires, but pricey and wore faster for me than the STTS. Did not do as well in the muck and snow and were noticeably less capable in the mountains, but great on rocks), and have had Bridgstone Duelers that lasted forever, but didn't like mud (still have them as spares at 60k miles).

I will be buying STTs for my new Tacoma! They are the best tire I have ever owned!

Last edited by Wyota; 03-12-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Wyota
No thread is too old!

I abused a set of 30x9.50 r15 Cooper STTs on my 84 pickup and they lasted 50k miles for me with half of that on gravel roads and on severely poor Wyoming mountain trails. They were an amazing snow/mud tire and gripped like crazy. Never had a flat. I have a set of Hankook M/Ts 32x11.5 on it now and like them as much. Impressed with the Hankooks for sure. Superb in snow and mud!

One thing to keep in mind from the "oil patch" tests in Wyo. is that the STTs don't last on full size 1 ton pickups, but the Hankooks do. STTs should last for a good while on a lighter Toyota pickups and mine did for sure. Even so, lots of guys run the STTs on big pickups anyway because of how well they perform.

I have had BF Goodrich AT and Mud Terrains (hate them both and ATs are death on wet roads in a light truck), have had GoodYear MTRs and the Kevlars (both are good tires, but pricey and wore faster for me than the STTS. Did not do as well in the muck and snow and were noticeably less capable in the mountains, but great on rocks), and have had Bridgstone Duelers that lasted forever, but didn't like mud (still have them as spares at 60k miles).

I will be buying STTs for my new Tacoma! They are the best tire I have ever owned!

Thanks!

Now, I just found out about the Cooper Discoverer "ST". It's the slightly milder version of the STT. But, it is too aggressive to be considered an all terrain. Cooper calls it an "All Purpose commercial tire with off-road capabilities"

At my local tire shop I got price quotes on each tire.
ST - $199 ea. (includes the price of installment)
STT - $229 ea. (includes the price of installment)

I've heard that the ST does fine off road and in the mud but I know that the STT will do much better. I've heard of the STT getting 40-50k miles of life, and I've heard many people getting 70k miles out of the ST!! ... But sometimes I drive through mud that's around a foot or so deep. Don't want to have a mild tire stuck in the mud wishing I went more aggressive.. Still deciding, and buying tires soon. I'll let you guys know what I get and how they perform.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:38 AM

A friend of mine who runs a tire shop and has several work pickups for servicing rigs ran the Cooper ST, and said they last a long time! But, said they loose some performance after the first half of their life (40K miles) and he had to sipe them to keep them grippy and get the rest of mileage out of them. He switched to ST MAXX or Hankook M/T for his work pickups.

My STT still did well with almost no tread left on them.

If you have serious mud to deal with the STT is a good option. The Hankooks area little cheaper and chew through mud.

Last edited by Wyota; 03-13-2013 at 05:41 AM.