All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

Supra Swap Q's

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supra Swap Q's

I just recently started researching about the supra swap, I have an 89 22re 5spd right now. I found a donor toyota supra that runs great but just needs a rebuild for 500. So i can get the donor vehicle and rebuild the motor for a 150 rebuild kit plus machine work. From what i understand since I would have the donor vehicle i would have the computer, radiator and whatever else. Also im suspecting it is the 5m-Ge which bolts right up other than just being a longer motor right? I wish to keep my stock drivetrain if I can. Please inform me of what else i will need, trying to keep the budget low but will not sacrifice it for safety or junk.
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swap the bell, combine the mounts and make sure you "move" the firewall in more than you think...I had to do an egr delete and massage the firewall twice in order to make it fit. If you were willing to make the rad support removeable, it would make fitting the engine a lot easier. I am trimming the grill, ditching the hood latch and associated hood hardware and cut off the two bumper bolt brackets to relocate my rad in front of the support and it looks like I can put a regular electric puller fan on there. With a bit more room, I could have put a regular fan on, albeit with a custom shroud.

Would be a good idea to replace the heater hose at the back with a new one, and put new lengths of hose on before you put the engine in as the clearance for hose clamps gets tight. I will likely make provision to restrain the motor from moving too much, just have to stare at if for a bit to decide on a method.

Good luck, hope your truck isn't as crusty as mine.