All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

1uzfe transmission options

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmswltn
I myself picked up a sc motor thinking it was a good start till I figured out how stripped it was of several crucial items and had the wrong pan for ifs. This led me to buying a parts car to basically get everything I needed for free after scrapping and selling it off, short of the needed maintenance items and the 340f to scavenge parts from.

At least you have a bell housing.. I'm pretty sure you need the torque converter and oil pump/input section of the trans to swap with whatever 340 you plan on using. Cebby covered it in his build. I'm pretty sure he was intending on using the h trans but changed directions.
Mine was pretty complete, the guy I got it from still had the car so I got all the stuff..except the important piece transmission well lesson learned ... The hard way... Seems like most of my lessons hmmmm... Any way enough crying!

So I have an SC engine so I think I got most of the right stuff. Along with it I also got the TC from the trans I bought the bell housing from salvage. I also pondered getting a parts car but I think I'm on the right track and won't need one. I saw Cebby's build it was a great build !!

Today I checked the TC from the 340h and it Will Not bolt to the 1uz flywheel. My next idea is to see if the bolt pattern on the crank is different between the 3vz and the 1uz ... I guess I'm really not wanting to swap the input shaft .. So I'm going junk yard hopping again tomorrow!

Random thought is it just me or is it fun for others to go to the junk yard?... I love to go ! Today I got a fuel pump and ac lines from a LS 400
Old 08-01-2013, 10:24 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm appreciating all the input/info, guy!

Curious where RMA is on YT lately.... Maybe he's on another site now.

This is one of the possibilities for my definite future swap. .... still might go 3RZsc'd.... But of the V8's, this is still seeming to be the most practical, especially for a 22RE'er,.... so it's really appreciated, sharing all the info you all have found, I mean it!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:02 AM

Head hurts...

Ok so I spent another 5 hours reading .......... ...... I've found all kinds of stuff.. So far my latest thought .

Would a trans from a land cruiser work it is in a different family "A44" ?
The thought is this ... TC creates lots of heat . Heat = failure in auto trans. TC in A340 is small and heats quickly. TC is larger in land cruiser..

Next is internal gear ratios with the A341. (Lexus 400 trans) Ratios are very close to the A340 so that rules that out as being a concern for using the A341.

The other thought is using, making, finding some adaptor to use a TH700r4 ... These are amazing transmissions have rebuilt many and I am very familiar with them. The overdrive is also a plus compared to the TH350. The nice thing is no ecu to mess with . Also huge TC so less heat issues... With that said, I do love Toyota, I would like to keep it Toyota. I would also like to make it one bad @&$ runner that is also functional .

So I guess it's back to the drawing board before I go dump 1k on something that may not be a good idea.

Chefyota
I PM'ed RMA and he never responded so not sure .. The 1uz is a great engine! Lots of power, decent mileage, much less weight than other engine combos. Great swap idea!

Last edited by CaptainjMorgan; 08-02-2013 at 06:13 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:57 PM

its good you have the tc thats one less piece of the puzzle.

im assuming you swung by wikipedia but if not
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_...smission#A340H
this shows what all aisin auto trans go into what for the most part.
i am rather fond of the volvo portion of that. im thinking my spare motor may end up in one of those 850...sleeper. you can find them with bad motors on cl for $500 rust free

all auto trans will nuke if not kept cool so make sure you have an adequate sized cooler that will have air flow be it by wind or fan.

the 340 trans will hold up to the uz easy (up to a point of boosting) as long as kept cool.

i dont believe there is an adapter to do so but it would take a custom flex plate (1 off tc would be more expensive i assume) and a 1uz bell housing to 700r4 trans adapter plate. this is all pretty feasible if you have access to the exact bolt patterns and measurements of said parts
Old 08-03-2013, 10:42 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks Captain..... It's surely a great choice. ... Just that the 3RZ is a bit less work...., more room to work in there (just a tad! Hehe), ... better mileage. ... And I know a guy that runs a sc'd 3RZ in his 1st gen 4Runner.... BEAST! BUT,... I really would love to have that 'higher power sure thing' V8 Lexus Throaty McGee' in her, ya know? At the rate my rig has transformed, I'm not worried bout "keeping it original" anyhow, either! Well, to a point. ..Haha..... But, ..... I'm W56.... So it has to be thought out, for sure.... Anddddd....., can't forget C.A.R.B. and the ref's of L.A., CA in my decision as well! Lol....

RMA, WHERE YOU AT? Haha

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-03-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:21 PM

i am rather fond of the volvo portion of that. im thinking my spare motor may end up in one of those 850...sleeper. you can find them with bad motors on cl for $500 rust free

all auto trans will nuke if not kept cool so make sure you have an adequate sized cooler that will have air flow be it by wind or fan.

the 340 trans will hold up to the uz easy (up to a point of boosting) as long as kept cool.

i dont believe there is an adapter to do so but it would take a custom flex plate (1 off tc would be more expensive i assume) and a 1uz bell housing to 700r4 trans adapter plate. this is all pretty feasible if you have access to the exact bolt patterns and measurements of said parts
I have done so much reading my mind is almost mush ..when i say that it is no joke, 3-5 hours every day for the last week! I do thank you for all your input ! That would be fun to do a sleeper ! As I was reading today I saw some one put a 1uz in a rx7 ... It is crazy the things we can do with Internet, great tech articles, fellow enthusiasts and my favorite big expensive mass destruction tools

After much reading, making notes, and configuring I found some info from JD about overheating. Before I started all this I had a 98 SC SAS 3.4 Taco with 37s, locked front and rear, with A340 in it... I beat the hell out of it rolled it, bashed it into trees and Moab in 90 degree weather with the a/c running never got hot or had the trans light come on( I know it worked cause it lit up when I started it) . I did however put an aftermarket cooler before I SASed it ( It was like the B&M cooler, the biggest one they make 14,000 btus I believe). I also think the type of trans cooler you use makes a difference, it's one of those things where you get the best. I found the best and spent around 100$ for it, I had considered using two .. But it didn't get hot so I didn't. I worked at a transmission shop for a few years so I do understand the heat thing. I didn't do any Toyota transmissions while I worked there but I am picking up the pieces of this fine transmission and making the best of them

So I got two transmissions yesterday and a few other pieces from salvage. Tomorrow I'm getting my trash out of bed early and it's going down!

If the A340 fails I will attempt the TH700r4. I saw a few articles on how to make your own adaptors and I have the tools and ability to make it happen but for now

Last edited by CaptainjMorgan; 08-04-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Thanks Captain..... It's surely a great choice. ... Just that the 3RZ is a bit less work...., more room to work in there (just a tad! Hehe), ... better mileage. ... And I know a guy that runs a sc'd 3RZ in his 1st gen 4Runner.... BEAST! BUT,... I really would love to have that 'higher power sure thing' V8 Lexus Throaty McGee' in her, ya know? At the rate my rig has transformed, I'm not worried bout "keeping it original" anyhow, either! Well, to a point. ..Haha..... But, ..... I'm W56.... So it has to be thought out, for sure.... Anddddd....., can't forget C.A.R.B. and the ref's of L.A., CA in my decision as well! Lol....

RMA, WHERE YOU AT? Haha
I have not looked much at the 3RZ. It seems simple, more room and perhaps better MPG..
A few of my thoughts..... I love the sound of the v8 as you said !! I also wanted to have something I could tow the small stuff around and not be broke from paying form diesel in my other truck( especially since most places is over 4$ a gallon )
I wanted something that wasn't heavy ! I once swapped a sb350 in a s10 it was heavy and not efficient . When I set this engine in the runner it didn't squat the suspension so I was impressed with that.
I wanted something different. At first I was going to do a 5vz. Then i thought about doing a 4.3. Then i was going to do a diesel ( to much $$) I know a few people have done the 1uz but i personally don't . I can't afford a new runner with a v8 and I probably wouldn't be excited about bashing a new vehicle and cutting it up and doing a SAS. I paid 500$ for this runner and don't have any issues trying new stuff with it
I also have an 86 runner which I love and it is in to good of condition to go thrash so I opted not to try it on that.
Ya I bet C.A.R.B is quite fun to deal with I've heard some stories. I also learned about EV1, CARB and the BS that went on with that .. Well I'll quit blabbing and go pots pics on my swap progress.

Where is RMA is a great question I have some things I wanted to ask him?
Old 08-05-2013, 03:50 AM

This is looking like great tech. I found there are different input spline count input shafts as well as different bolt pattern for the TC when I did my 22re to 2RZ swap, I ended up using a 3VZ TC, to get the right spline count and the right bolt pattern to bolt to the 2RZ flex plate. Luckily I have an array of A340's laying around.
The 1UZ swap is my next project so I'll be watching.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:18 PM

progress?

So I was just curious how the progress was going on your project?
Old 08-06-2013, 09:32 PM

I have not touched it for about a week. I ordered the factory timing kit this morning and my eBay gasket kit came in today. when the timing kit comes in I'll be installing that and progressing.

I suppose I could cut the flanges off the ls manifolds to extend the collector for frame clearance..

I don't really want to start taking apart the timing components till I can do it all in 1 day else I may forget we're everything goes lol.

I'm not pulling the 22r till I have everything ready to go. I use my runner to much.

It's probably time to start updating the build thread also
Old 08-31-2013, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3UZ+A650+Prado

Old 09-01-2013, 04:37 AM

Cool pics. What adapter is that? What transfer case?
Old 09-02-2013, 04:21 AM

adapter is made in a single copy.
transfer case - vacuum TLC 70-series
Old 09-02-2013, 06:39 AM

serg was the adapter made by you?

Last edited by jmswltn; 09-02-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:23 AM

No. I just consulted on the device gearbox and transfer box 1UZ and A341.
He performed another person in another city in Russia.
The man went on. For SWAP took donor LS430 .
Old 09-02-2013, 12:42 PM

Old 09-03-2013, 02:32 PM

That is bad ass !!! I like it !!! so you just made it at your shop ?
Old 09-03-2013, 10:16 PM

these are different machines, different designs, different engines, made ​​by different artists from different cities of Russia.

I personally made ​​just 10 prekte 4x4 automatic transmission and a motor 1UZ, 5VZ for different cars.

I could tell a lot - but I do not I talk in English ...
Google transliteration does not give a correct translation of technical terms.
'm sorry.

photos of my projects - http://my.mail.ru/mail/serg4x4/photo
Old 09-05-2013, 08:52 PM

Well I think it's great that you try ! Looks like some great pictures !!!! Thanks for sharing them !! The projects look great!

Originally Posted by serg4x4
these are different machines, different designs, different engines, made ​​by different artists from different cities of Russia.

I personally made ​​just 10 prekte 4x4 automatic transmission and a motor 1UZ, 5VZ for different cars.

I could tell a lot - but I do not I talk in English ...
Google transliteration does not give a correct translation of technical terms.
'm sorry.

photos of my projects - http://my.mail.ru/mail/serg4x4/photo
Old 09-20-2013, 12:31 PM

my work on this project - only transmission

Quick Reply: 1uzfe transmission options