All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

1uz swap!!!

Old 06-06-2008, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1uz swap!!!

Well recently bought my buddies 1994 4runner from him for 200 bucks. pretty good deal regardless if its running or not. He told me he just got fed up having to keep taking it to the shop and waste money on it. One day he got in it and it wouldnt crank. Thats when i got it from him. I thought it might of just been a bad starter but pulling the heads off revealed that it had broke a rod. As you can see here the left piston is down when it should be up Name:  Picture003.jpg
Views: 2797
Size:  120.4 KB

I originally figured I would just fork out the money for a rebuilt 3.0 but reading the reviews and such, it didnt look to appealing for me. Starting off spending only 200 bucks on the truck I figured I would look at some more options...... Heres the truck. I think its in pretty dang good shape. Name:  Picture001.jpg
Views: 1790
Size:  154.7 KB
Name:  Picture002.jpg
Views: 1783
Size:  145.4 KB

After reading Twisty's thread on his 1uz swap I decided to go that way.... Here it is just waiting for its new home in the 4runner..
Name:  1uz1.jpg
Views: 1791
Size:  157.2 KB

Now that I have the 1uz oh how the questions keep rolling in.
Ive pretty much decided on swaping out the ol' automatic and put in the R150F manual. I really havent seen any successful swaps using the auto. and the A340E doesnt seem to be spoken highly of ether.

So pretty much my main delemas right now are wiring harness, bell housing, and engine and trans. mounts. Im trying to keep this as cheap as possible since my cash flow is really not something to brag about right now

After hours infront of the computer screen I finally located a few people that make some parts for this swap. As twisty had mentioned in his thread. dellow automotive makes a bell housing and flywheel, and venom makes a wiring harness and engine mounts. But all those guys are over in AUS! There parts im sure are quality but add shipping to get them to the states and it would cost me around 3,000 bucks just to get them here!!!!!!!

Does anybody know if guys in the states have made these products???

I should be able to fab up some engine mounts and hopefully relocate the trans crossmember successfully.

But for the engine wiring harness, being that it was cut Might be a problem. I know that there were 3 different ECU's used for this engine. The Lexus SC 400(soarer), the LS 400(celsior), and the GS 400(crown). The GS 400 is the only one that used a seperate ECU for the tranny which is good because I only need the ECU to run the engine.

Im not positive which car my engine came out of..... but will I be able to match my wiring harness to the GS 400 ECU; if mine was from another vehicle??
Ill keep posting my progress. But help from you guys would greatly help my cause.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Damn, but that is one clean engine. Very, very nice.

If you've seen Cebby's board, you've probably seen this link http://www.uzswap.com/forum/

And this http://www.lextreme.com/

There was someone trying to make bellhousings/flywheels in the States, but I haven't been able to find the link. If I come across it, I'll post it as soon as I can.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:00 PM

Thanks for the links RobD. I have been looking in www.lextreme.com There is some awsome write ups on engine mounts there. www.uzswap.com/forum had some interesting write ups on using the 1uz auto (A341E) and mounting up the yota's transfer case to the back of it..... Hmmmmmm... which transmission would be better is the question?? A341E, or stick with the R150F swap. I plain on using the 4runner for some "trucky" purposes. Like pulling boats and such. Which would be better for the applications... which would hold up better, which would be stronger???

As for the flywheels, SupperRunner offers them for $275(shipped) with the ringgear, over at www.supercharged.com (which I intend to buy as long as I stick with the r150f tranny). I dont know if thats who you might of been referring to?

He was also talking about making a bellhousing for the r150f to mate up to the 1uz over at http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...491847&page=15

But I have yet to see him come out with it.
So it looks like if I still want to keep this swap "reasonably priced" still gota find a bell housing!
Old 06-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rdd014runner
So it looks like if I still want to keep this swap "reasonably priced" still gota find a bell housing!
I considered this swap before I went with the 3.4. The bellhousing was the main stumbling block I kept coming across. For my purposes (trails) the 3.4 was ultimately a better choice so I gave up the research.

You should subscribe to TIS.com for the wiring diagrams. Will be helpful to determine the exact year and model your motor came from first.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:44 PM

Like Elvota I, too, considered this swap before going with the 3.4, since I had neither the time nor money to source all the parts and do the fab work for the V8. That's not to say I won't do one in the future! One of my neighbors has a nice first gen that would make a good candidate.

Anyhow, I think the guy you named from Pirate was the one I was thinking about. I don't recall ever hearing if he got around to making them, either.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:05 AM

1uz cheap!!!

Hey all, found this on ebay and id thought id let everyone know. Dont know how many miles are on it, but its cheaper than any engine ive ever seen.... I wish I would of seen this befor I got mine! If your looking in to doing this swap id say this would be a good start..... check it out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 07-01-2008, 04:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recommend finding a complete doner car for the swap. LS400's are easy to find cheap and SC400's are getting there too. If you do it right you can actually come out ahead. I have parted out 2 of these cars and made more than enough money to cover the cost of the remaining swap parts.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:13 PM

im in the same delema i just bought a 1UZ out of a 92 sc400 and i also just got a R150F out of a 99 taco. i am hopeing if it works im going to weld two bellhousings together. because i got quoted $1673 retail fot the swap kit with out shipping.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Im still hoping to pull off this swap in my rig. 1uz's are damn hard to get in my parts...

Lookin forward for updates on your conversion! What do you have in mind for cooling?
Old 07-20-2008, 04:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jay351
Im still hoping to pull off this swap in my rig. 1uz's are damn hard to get in my parts...

Lookin forward for updates on your conversion! What do you have in mind for cooling?

From what I've read on the Australian sites cooling is the main issue i've seen with these swaps. I wouldn't even screw around with factory stuff and look for a good aluminum unit as big as I could fit in there. Its a tight fit thought. With the engine almost against the firewall you have about 5" of clearence to fit a cooling fan and radiator. Some people are even moving the radiator to the bed of the truck to gain fluid capacity.

Last edited by toyminator2000; 07-20-2008 at 04:59 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by toyminator2000
From what I've read on the Australian sites cooling is the main issue i've seen with these swaps. I wouldn't even screw around with factory stuff and look for a good aluminum unit as big as I could fit in there. Its a tight fit thought. With the engine almost against the firewall you have about 5" of clearence to fit a cooling fan and radiator. Some people are even moving the radiator to the bed of the truck to gain fluid capacity.
Or your could run pusher fans instead.

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/881536/10002/-1/10117

These ones, for example, can be run in either direction.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:15 PM

gettin ready to do this in my runner, watchin this thread close
Old 08-10-2008, 10:30 PM

Sorry its been so long...... Ive been off working trying to make some money to finish this thing!!

- As for cooling... I havent really got into that part yet.. atleast not till i get the engine in the truck.. I was thinking maybe geting a radiator from a tundra, or someother toyota that can support that kind of engine. Not sure what will fit; ill have to get the measurements from the frame. I might have to end up going with an aluminum one.
- I pretty positive the stock one wont do the job... but i might just not mess with it at first to see how it does... maybe add another fan to it..

As for the parts that i need; im going to order the bellhousing from delow over in Australia... The shipping to louisiana was $275.... steep but worth it if you ask me! its like 3-5day shipping too.

-As soon as some more parts come in ill get back to working on it and keep you guys posted!!
Old 10-20-2008, 03:45 PM
Contributing Member

Might want to check this out. Not a bad price either. This is the route I'm going.
http://www.monster-performance.com/modules/shop/
Old 10-31-2008, 01:31 AM

Yah I ordered a flywheel from him already. But I wasnt sure if he has made a bellhousing for an Rseries tranny yet. The option to buy one is there but it also says only for W series tranny. I emailed him to see if he has any R series bell housing but I havent heard back yet..... Have you ordered one yet or do you know for sure if they're availible yet?? Thanks for the link though!
Old 11-20-2008, 07:21 AM

The bellhousing link on their page has a pulldown menu with R series transmissions listed. you could fire them off an email to confirm.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:51 PM

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=3&gl=us

site isn't working right now, that should be the google cache though.... I haven't used the company, or anything like that so i have no idea how they are to deal w/. What i am proposing would be to swap the 1jz r154 bellhousing on to the R series in the truck (assuming it swaps i think i read that it does) then you could use this adapter to bolt to the 1uz. If you want to go auto, then i would think that should be possible as well, but i have never even looked at the auto trans.

Just shooting out theories here and i haven't done much research on this for the 4x4 side of the toyota line, so if this is completely stupid forgive me lol.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:13 PM

You could do that too, in theory....

But the r154 has a longer input shaft, so in practise, the r150 would not work with a 1jz bellhousing. Either use an r154 with a swapped out tail shaft, or I believe later model r150s came with longer input shafts.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:43 PM

Did anything ever come of this?