3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Where to find plugs on TIS

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to find plugs on TIS

I got the "Engine Control" EWD for my 92 3.0, but that- from what I can see- only shows the ECU and plugs. Where would I find the EWD for the body/dash harness-to-engine harness plugs?
Old 10-08-2009, 04:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its all there on that diagram. What they do is seperate it out part function. One page is starting, and other is charging. If you look at a conjunction of wires you will see the connector code, ex. IH1, E5 and so on that is the connector. Now there is another page that has an up close view of the connector with the code with it. Looks like this.

And it will have the code next it like this one is IH1, or IH2. (Don't have my paperwork in front of me.)
Its not printed up with the overall EWD but is on the TIS site. I just printed everything I could and it has all come in handy.

Last edited by yodathespian87; 10-08-2009 at 04:42 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:38 AM

Hm, but if the plug is present on the diagram, wouldn't it be listed on the fallowing page that shows all the plugs?

It isn't listed, but I'll look for IH1 or 2 and try to go from there...
Old 10-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Contributing Member

When you are looking at all the diagrams you will notice that the same connectors pop up on numerous pages due to the different wires that each have different function though they share a connector. The main ones you are splicing are your ECM connectors E5 and E6 IK2 and IK6 fromthe 3.4 and then the IH1 and IH2 from the body. At least those are the ones I have to splice for mine. Which is a 93 5sp 3.0 to a 2001 taco 5spd. both 4x4. Hope this helps out a little more.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:02 PM

Okay, heres my problem...
THIS plug(from the engine side)-

Is not on the engine EWD-

That's why I'm stumped; I would think the plug on the engine harness should be on the "Engine Control" EWD...
Old 10-09-2009, 05:57 PM

That plug is IK2

That plug is IK2
Old 10-09-2009, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by jviers
That plug is IK2
Awesome.

Now what EWD on TIS would show IK2?
Old 10-10-2009, 07:42 AM

IK2 and EWD

Depending on whether your truck is manual or AT, has AC or not, cruise, your wiring will differ and you will then find IK2 references in different EWD sheets.

You are not looking for the plug itself, you are loooking at the EWD pages to find the IK2 connector symbol. One easy way to find these connector instances is to search with Acrobat (the TIS pages are Abobe Acrobat files, as you know). Open an EWD page and search for "IK2" and you will see either 0, several, or a bunch of references (many willl be duplicates). Look at them each in turn and note the IK2 pin number (next to the reference), wire color, and where it is going to and coming from. When you search on the engine control sheet, the most important one, you will get a lot of search hits. Look at the way the symbol is pointing (read the general info EWDs for symbol meanings, etc.). Depending on the truck, you should also search the AC, 4WD, cruise, and trans EWD pages. You will need to match IK2 pin function to IH1 and IH2, and E5 as well (check for E5 instances); you will search back and forth between the 3.4 and 3.0 diagrams to do so.

Enough for now...corrections anyone?
Old 10-10-2009, 08:09 AM

IK2 and EWD

Depending on whether your truck is manual or AT, has AC or not, cruise, your wiring will differ and you will then find IK2 references in different EWD sheets.

You are not looking for the plug itself, you are loooking at the EWD pages to find the IK2 connector symbol. One easy way to find these connector instances is to search with Acrobat (the TIS pages are Abobe Acrobat files, as you know). Open an EWD page and search for "IK2" and you will see either 0, several, or a bunch of references (many willl be duplicates). Look at them each in turn and note the IK2 pin number (next to the reference), wire color, and where it is going to and coming from. When you search on the engine control sheet, the most important one, you will get a lot of search hits. Look at the way the symbol is pointing (read the general info EWDs for symbol meanings, etc.). Depending on the truck, you should also search the AC, 4WD, cruise, and trans EWD pages. You will need to match IK2 pin function to IH1 and IH2, and E5 as well (check for E5 instances); you will search back and forth between the 3.4 and 3.0 diagrams to do so.

Enough for now...corrections anyone?
Old 10-12-2009, 03:09 PM

But if the connector is present in any certain EWD, wouldn't it be shown on the "connectors" page??
Old 10-12-2009, 03:20 PM

Ik2

IK2 is shown on page 41 of the connectors and routing EWD pages, section "G - Electrical Wiring Routing;" IK2 location is shown on page 40.

If you downloaded the EWDs from TIS then this section may be named Connector_Ground_Splice.pdf. This section does not have visible page numbers but scroll down and you'll find IK2 on pdf page 39 (6 of 8).
Old 10-13-2009, 05:35 PM

Aright cool, thanks alot man.

I just upgraded for another 2 days...by the sound of it, I can download the EWD for the whole truck??

I've been saving them one by one; did I miss something?
Old 10-13-2009, 07:13 PM

Tis

I don't really remember the procedure but yes, you should be able to get ALL EWD sections for your truck. What I did was download all sections for my truck (92 4Runner) and then downloaded what I thought were the relevant sections for the engine donor vehicle (2000 Tacoma). That is, I did not download the 2000 Tacoma sections that did not have to do with the engine and the body harness, like lighting, SRS, ABS, DRLs, etc. but DO be sure and get any additional sections depending on your recipient vehicle. These might include the AC, cruise, 4wd, trans, etc. EWDs. Make sure you know the production date of your donor vehicle as this could affect which EWD set you should get. My donor was a June 99 Tacoma which is actually classified as a 2000 model, just barely. I have noticed some differences between the 1999 and 2000 EWDs for this vehicle. If you have two more days just download everything you can but be sure and keep track of it.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:47 AM
Contributing Member

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/index.html

This is also available but just as general knowledge as it only has certain years available. But what I also did was type the connector I was looking for in the search box and it popped up with every page it was on and centered the connector for me in the center of the page. Makes it easier then looking over every connector though I ended up doing that anyways.