3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Super weird, bad instance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super weird, bad instance.

So i have had my swap complete and running for awhile now but was in the mountains and realized my 4x4 indicator didnt work so i explored my notes and saw i didnt wire it up correctly. My water temp hasnt been working as well so i explored that too and realized i didnt have a ground connected up to it . Well when trying to wire them realized i didnt have spots in my terminal so i did i direct wire to the engine harness on both the ground and the 4x4 indicator. I then decided to number each end of each wire splice to shorten the length of my harness. my first go around was good but to long! My girlfriend and i did this so she was very precise with making sure i was numbering each end of the wires correctly. Once i got it finished up i pluged her in and she fired up. But for only a second maybe even less. I then decided to check the harness. when i check the wiring out after it died on me i realized that my 4x4 idicator wire was melted up but seemed to be the only one that was damanged. I go to check for power in my harness and find im not getting power to anything, not even the starter wire that was working fine before. The igniter fuse doesnt show anything in the dash fuse box on either side of the fuse. The igniter coil plug doesnt get any power to it as well. but this could be because i dont have the terminals plugged into the ecm. I even noticed that my charging system as well as my check engine light doesnt show when i put the car to the on position, but my Oil pressure dummy light does show.

After triple checking my wiring out to see if i had any mistakes i still came up with exactly what FINALIZED notes were that i had written down and saved. Im really hoping its just a blown fuse or relay from the short out that fried that wire. Im not sure if mentioned but my main starter plug is getting power but not my signal switch.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Cuz if i dont figure it out its time to bag the $5K driveway ornament.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You've had a mess from the get-go. I'm not sure you were entirely prepared, but whatever, I hope you can figure it out and get it running!
Old 12-02-2013, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by vasinvictor
You've had a mess from the get-go. I'm not sure you were entirely prepared, but whatever, I hope you can figure it out and get it running!
I had it running and driving for weeks just fine. but i was in the mountains and didnt want it to overheat without knowing so i decided to tackle that. Found out that my 30A fuse was blown hopefully my wire frying was the reason it blew from a short.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:11 AM

so after blowing a fuse I want to check out what happened and the cord connected to the four by four indicator was fried again which made me think I was getting power when it wasn't supposed to. then realized it was connected to the 8th and not the 9th position like it was supposed to. which of course the exposition was the ignition so it makes sense that the ignition fuse blew and cut off the power
Old 12-02-2013, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So....are your problems fixed?

I assume you replaced any melted wires, you moved the wire to the correct location in the connector housing, have replaced the 30A fuse, and are now running and driving without problems?
Old 12-02-2013, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by SacRunner
So....are your problems fixed?

I assume you replaced any melted wires, you moved the wire to the correct location in the connector housing, have replaced the 30A fuse, and are now running and driving without problems?
Yea she's up and running. My water temp still doesn't work tho! I have it grounded and connected to be original dash harness but still not working. Any ideas?
Old 12-02-2013, 10:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought my oil sending units were bad but turns out the oil press gauge itself was blown. put some voltage on your temp sender wire and see if you can get the needle to move.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:22 AM

I don't have your EWDs here at work (they're on my home PC), so this is based off my 96/97 4Runner EWDs:

The motor has 2 temp sensors, one (called "E3 Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor" in the Engine Control section of the EWD) that is wired directly to the ECU entirely in the engine harness, the other (called "W2 Water Temp Sender" in the Combination Meter section of the EWD) is wired from the engine harness through the dash harness to the combo-meter.

You shouldn't be splicing either of those wires, they should be dedicated signals. The Water Temp Sender (for the combo-meter) should be grounded in engine block (usually through the threads) and is a 1-wire connection that connects from the engine harness to the dash harness, and there shouldn't be a separate ground wire. Although I looked at your wiring spread sheet as I'm typing this up and there is a separate ground for it, so I'll have to check the EWD when I get home tonight.

But I agree with vasinvictor, double check and make sure your gauge still works
Old 12-02-2013, 10:23 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
stoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooop!!! the water temp signal to the gage is a single wire ground. Look at your cluster ewd's, it comes in off the big body connector and goes direct to your smaller body plug on the 3.0 side. The 4wd diagrams will be confusing depending if you have ADD or not.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by vital22re
stoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooop!!! the water temp signal to the gage is a single wire ground. Look at your cluster ewd's, it comes in off the big body connector and goes direct to your smaller body plug on the 3.0 side. The 4wd diagrams will be confusing depending if you have ADD or not.
Wait I'm confused, on my ewd I hand a water temp signal and a ground as well. I connected my water temp up to the body harness on my 3.0 and grounded the other wire
Old 12-02-2013, 09:31 PM

Ok, let me see if I can clarify things...

On the Overall_EWD.pdf (that you sent me, 98 Tacoma), look at page "245 (8 of 44)" (as displayed by Adobe Reader) and in the upper left 1/4 of the page there is an "E3 ENGINE COOLANT TEMP. SENSOR" with one side connected to EE1 pin 1 with a BR-B wire (this is a ground wire) connected to E2 (I'll assume the 'E' is short for "Earth" an synonym for ground in some text books), the other side is a G-Y wire connected to EE1 pin 2 and from there its connected to E7 (C) pin 7 on the ECU. This temp sensor is ONLY for the ECU, NOT for the gauge in the dash.

Now, look page "276 (39 of 44)" for the combo meter with dash (or page "278 (41 of 44)" for the combo meter w/o tachometer) on the left side of the page in the box representing the combo-meter you will find a meter icon with the text "WATER TEMP" underneath it, this is the gauge in the dash. Connector C10 (A) pin 5 provides +12V when the ignition is turned to "ON". Connector C13 (D) pin 12 provides a ground for the gauge to IK2 pin 2, which you'll notice is part of your conversion harness, but that is for the 98 Tacoma dash, not your 89's dash; chances are your 89 dash only has 1 wire (I may have lead you astray here...sorry). If your 89 combo-meter is like my 91's, that ground signal is taken care of internally to the combo-meter and the grounds for all the gauges are provided through a single wire, which shouldn't be touched as part of this swap.

And back to the 98 Tacoma combo-meter for the last signal wire, C13 (D) pin 11 (C13 (D) pin 12, w/o tach) is the "signal" wire that tells the gauge how "hot" the engine is. That wire is connected to IK2 pin 3 (in both sections of the EWD), Y-R on the engine harness, that wire needs to be connected to the "signal" wire for the temp sensor for your 89's combo-meter's temp gauge.

As for IK2 pin 2, you can leave it unconnected on your engine harness, or play it safe and ground it. Too many grounds in the correct places is never a bad thing.

I know this maybe an over-the-top explanation, but I just want to make sure we're all looking at (and interpreting) the same thing.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:40 AM

Soooooooo it ended up being in 4lo hahaha I know I'm a dummy but shes running nice. My temp gauge still isn't working and I'm having trouble fighting out how to test it