3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Suggestions Procedure for Tracing Wires

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions Procedure for Tracing Wires

Let me thank all the contributors at yotatech who have helped me get this far. Now, I think it is time for me to contribute back to yotatech.

One of the biggest headaches I have had is tracking down what each wire does. Short of tearing apart the wiring harness and tracing each individual wire, I kept searching and searching for answers. Through a lot of reading in separate places, I have gathered enough knowledge to help a newbie like I am, to get on the correct path to solving this wiring maze.

Here are my suggestions for getting on the correct path to completing your 5VZE swap, or any swap, for that matter. Sorry, I didn't have time to clutter up the text with pictures.

Step 1:

Purchase 2-day subscription to TIS https://techinfo.toyota.com for $15, as of January 2011. Unless you absolutely have to have it in hard copy, do not purchase the EWD manuals from the dealer. It is pretty much the same thing, but the downside is you can't use the search feature, not to mention the fact that the dealer will charge you anywhere from $16 to $100.

Download the following EWD's for your all year Tacomas and 4Runners, unless if you know absolutely for certain the year your 5VZE came from. Even then, download the year before and after, including the year.
- Overall EWD
- Drivetrain EWD
- Engine Control EWD
- Connector List EWD
- Any other EWD that you might find useful. I have already listed the must-have EWDs.

Download the same EWD's for your year vehicle.

Step 2:

Locate the connector that you in the Connector List EWD. Note the name of the connector. This is the connector you will need to find in the Overall EWD or supporting EWD's. If you cannnot match up the connector you have to the Connector List EWD, all is not lost. You can easily find out the name of the connector. More on that later. The Connector List EWD does not have every connector listed.

Step 3a:

Note the pin number schematic of the connector. Make a spreadsheet of the pin number, wire color, and function. Do not worry about the function yet, but just make sure you get the pin number and wire colors correct.
The Toyota EWD's use a simple color scheme. The color scheme is "solid color - stripe color". So "B-R" is a black wire with a red line. Just keep in mind that Toyota uses "L" for Blue, "BR" is Brown, "G" is Green, and "GR" is grey.

Use the search function in your Adobe Reader (or any other PDF reader) to search for the name of the connector you matched above. Where your Reader finds the connector, there will be a pin number labeled by it. Match the pin number and wire color from the EWD to your spreadsheet that you made. Follow the wire to its closest device -- that determines the function or the wire. Make that note in your spreadsheet. If a wire goes to more than one device, I like to note all "functions" until I can narrow it down to the exact function. Repeat the process for the next pin until you have your entire spreadsheet filled out.

If you realize that your pin numbers or wire colors are not matching up to your spreadsheet, you are probably looking at the wrong year for the EWD. Remember where I suggested you should also download the EWD's all the 5VZE 4Runner and Tacoma's? This is where it will help. Just go to the next year or the year before and start the process over. Once you have matching wire colors at corresponding pins, you have found your year.

Step 3b:

Now, what if you cannot find the connector on your Connector List EWD? I find this to be the case in some instances of the pickup trucks and Tacomas, but no so much in the 4Runners. These are usually the IK plugs or plugs of that sort. This is where your hard work in making the pin number spreadsheet and wire colors will pay off.

Using the search function of your PDF reader, search for the wire color. Go through every instance of the color and see if there any connectors on the wire. Note the pin number and connector name that intersects the wire. If the pin number and color matches your spreadsheet, that tells you that the connector you found might be the one you are looking for. Now, instead of searching for the color, search for the name of the connector you just found. You should see several instances of that connector. Just as above, match the pin number and color wire to your spreadsheet. If you find everything is matching up, you have found your connector. You can continue to find the functions of the wires.

Step 4:

Now, if your spreadsheet has different more than function for each wire, this is where the supporting EWD's can help a lot. Try locating the same wire and connector on the other EWD's and see where they go. If you are careful and can apply a little logic, you will be able to narrow down the functions. There are some functions that you may not need, such as the A/C system. The 5VZE A/C system uses different signals to operate. Also, if you do not have cruise control or an automatic transmission, you can ignore those functions.

Step 5:

Repeat step 2 and 3 for your vehicle chassis's wiring harnesses.

Step 6:

I will not go into much detail here, but it just involves you repinning the harness connectors on the engine side and body side to match functions.

Sorry, this was a long read, but if you have made it this far and understood everything, you will be a lot better off than I was when I started.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good post. This was also covered here as well a while ago but more info the better.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...ctions-206784/
Old 01-30-2011, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. Very helpful.