3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Modified 3.0 versus 3.4 swap.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Rob,

Could you post pics of your engine bay?

Did you have to buy new engine wire harness?
Old 09-17-2007, 09:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 4JOGGER
Hey Rob,

Could you post pics of your engine bay?

Did you have to buy new engine wire harness?
No, with the wiring diagrams and help from my brother's neighbour, we spliced harnesses. It isn't that hard, really, once you know what the heck is going on.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RobD
No, with the wiring diagrams and help from my brother's neighbour, we spliced harnesses. It isn't that hard, really, once you know what the heck is going on.
You should do a step by step explaination of the engine swap for those of us who are somewhat 3.0 slow in da brain
Old 09-17-2007, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by 4JOGGER
You should do a step by step explaination of the engine swap for those of us who are somewhat 3.0 slow in da brain
There are quite a few threads and sites out there. I just borrowed from them.

http://www.andrewzook.com/content/view/22/37/

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...=&fpart=1&vc=1

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?s...ght=5vzfe+swap

But we're hijacking this thread. I'm going to stop now...
Old 09-17-2007, 09:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RobD
There are quite a few threads and sites out there. I just borrowed from them.

http://www.andrewzook.com/content/view/22/37/

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?s...ght=5vzfe+swap

But we're hijacking this thread. I'm going to stop now...

Holy info! Thanks
Old 09-17-2007, 10:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
jeez.
all i want is a 22re or similar diesel. the intent being to go far, not fast. i don't want to have to fill up all the time. i'm not towing anything and i don't race. if i want to go fast ill go drive the 5.0s. to me, trucks arent for going fast.

my 3.0 is enough for me. even though its an auto i make it work. a 5 speed would be ideal. i dont need to impress anyone, i just want to be able to go camping without having to tow a small fuel tank behind me just to get home because I got myself a supercharged 3.4/350/lexus v8/etc. the 3.0 is bad enough but i refuse to believe a 3.4 gives enough of a mileage increase to warrant a swap. once again if i'm going to blow that kind of money on a truck, why not make it a diesel and do it the right way the first time. i honestly dont want/need a gasoline engine in either of my trucks.

last i checked we were in some sort of fuel crisis. why does it seem that everyone is becoming more obsessed with going fast? to be honest im fine with my 3.0 for now. if it takes a dump on me i would more consider sourcing a diesel. and in terms of thinking ahead, it might allow me to run some form of biodiesel and further reduce my reliance on blood-stained oil. in which case maybe i will make my money back.

this whole train of thought leads me to question why the hell toyota just put out a 5.7L v8.

i guess i am in the minority that doesn't really care to go fast in a truck. ill get a car when i want to go fast. they are built for it. my trucks are about as aerodynamic as a brick wall.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by apalmer1
A lot of people bitch about the fact that the 3.0 eats head gaskets, but very very few actually do anything to correct it. There are companies which manufacture better more durable head gaskets, and if you read up a lot of people agree that the headgasket failure on the 3.0 is partly due to the head bolts being too weak and having too much play. Most of the aforementioned companies sell more durable head studs to correct this issue.
In my opinion another major reason that the 3.0 eats HG's is that the factory tune is REALLY lean and constantly detonating. It is so bad that you get an uneven, incomplete burn and lose a lot of effiency and power. When the engine is brand new it isn't an issue but once you put some miles on it and get some deposits in the injectors, runners and chambers the jig is up. I cranked my AFM richer and I was floored by how much smoother and more powerful the motor was. I could tell the difference was primarily from the absence of detonation, not from more fuel=more power. It also got a big MPG increase, which can be credited to some extent to the increased effeincy.

Back to the topic- Personally I just don't think it's worth spending money on such a primative engine. Relative to a modern VVTi DOHC V6 or V8, the 3.0 is a joke. Many of you guys mention "it's only 40 HP, no big deal." Take off your blinders, there is a hell of alot more to power output than peak HP. It's all about torque throughout a useful powerband. Variable valve timed engines make way more torque, at lower RPM, until a higher RPM, than fixed timing motors. That is power that you feel and use in the real world, while getting better MPG when geared right and backed with the right tranny package (stall, TCC and ratios, manuals rely on good driving). Putting headers, cams, and exhaust on the 3.0 is like polishing a turd. All you will accomplish is getting you-know-what on your hands. The powerband is too narrow and way too high, not to mention lethargic.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:03 AM

Diesel huh lookin into the 2.7 or is it 2.8 International.

Aaron
Old 09-18-2007, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

I chose to do the 3.4 mod for a number of reasons (and, yes, power was certainly one of them!) That being said, I live at high altitude in Summit county, Colorado, and this conversion has been well worth my time, effort, and money to do.

The drivability of the 5VZ is far superior to the 3VZ, since it has a much wider usable torque power band through the RPMs. It is nice to be able to keep up with, and pass traffic going up to Eisenhower tunnel - something that the 3VZ had not been capable of, for years.

I am getting roughly a 30% increase in my fuel milage - up from 14-15 mpg to 18-19 mpg, with a peak mpg of 21, so far. The 5VZ has plenty of power, as is, and I really don't see myself doing the super-charger, but it's out there, if I change my mind, later.

So I have my 3rd gen truck with a very reliable engine, that delivers more power, better drivability, and increased gas milage. Add in the fact that it's all still Toyota, and what's not to like?

By the time you build up (not stock rebuild) a 3VZ, in terms of time rebuilding, cost of parts, (possibly) questionable reliability, and a more inefficient ignition system, The cost of the 5VZ is probably going to be a closer in cost than you might think, before you start the project.

If you are capable, and in a position to do the 3VZ rebuild yourself, then you would certainly be able to do the 5VZ swap. I'm comfortable in saying that using the 5VZ would still be the best choice for most situations, IMHO.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:29 PM

the 3vz-e isnt that slow of a motor....i just know in the 4x4 there hella slow cuz of all the extra drivetrain. but i think you guys should drive the 3vz in a 2wd, its pretty fast, it just sucks if you have an auto behind it. but still i agree with all you guys that the 5vz-fe is a better platform. And if i had a 4x4 i would most likly do a 5vz-fe swap.

And also it all depends on how you take care of the 3vz motor also.....i think it will cost about the same to do the swap or rebuild w/mods. i think it just depends on what the owner wants...... both are good options
Old 09-18-2007, 04:45 PM

this is a pace maker vs a transplant issue right? i'd go with newer younger stronger. if you compare the 3.0 vs the 3.4 STOCK all other things being = .....theres little arguement as to which is favored.

i have the 3.0 and hae considered many options. DOA 3.0 rebuilts, and others, dozens of performance parts. from what i have read and from questions i have asked....there are just more gains to be realized in the 5vz.

i am not swapping just to get 4-8 more mpgs. nor i am not swapping just to get "40" more hp. i am swapping for several reasons including those above. when my 3.0 goes out i need a new heart anyway so......
-5vz SC exhaust headers intake WAAAAAY more reliabe that 3.0 equipped samely
-lighter block
-newer technology
-if you get a donor engine with low miles, i'd take that over an unknown rebuilt
-its also not the PITA it was several years ago. ORS has kits, and theres even some who'v mapped the wiring(the real scary of swaps)
Old 09-18-2007, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by thefallman
all i have to say is from the sounds of your argument you have never driven a 3.4 swapped rig.

And when your talking rebuilding a 3.0 for 1000 plus time if you do it your self. say 1500 to 1800 if you have someone else do it. And we are talking completely stock no mods. It doesnt make sense to me that people wouldnt spend slightly more and have more power and torque oh and the possiblity to upgrade EVEN farther much farther then can be hoped for out of a 3.0
wrongo buddy! I did a FULL top end rebuild for ~1400 grand total. Thats with a port and polish, cams, oversized valves and all the stuff needed for a HG rebuild.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 09-18-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Umm... i seriously doubt the 99' limited my 3.4 pushes is lighter than the 89' that my 3.0 pushes...
The 99' is definately heavier, but it gets much better mileage, and is faster, and has more power under load....
Old 09-18-2007, 06:53 PM

im very happy with my 3.4 swap and would never go back to the 3.0. i have more power and better mpg witch will pay for its self in the long run. it is actually a very easy swap. also i would never try to mod the 3.0 you might as well throw your money down the drain and do the 3.4 swap. thats my 0.02 cents
Old 09-18-2007, 07:46 PM

I wouldn't mind a diesel, either, if it were:

A) relatively inexpensive to source an engine
B) relatively easy to swap, without major mods

So, I went 3.4 because it fufilled all the other roles.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:00 PM

Any other 3.4 guys who are all defensive want to respond?
I'm still waiting for a guy who's driven a 3.4 equipped rig, but then decided to do cams, headers, and an exhaust on their 3.0 and was satisfied. I guess we don't have too many of those yet as these parts have all sort of come out relatively recently.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:20 PM

I'm not being defensive. I'm pointing out why I did the swap. The 3.0 was going to be a lot longer project, for which I'm not equipped. I did mine on the quick and for as cheap as I could. Given what I now know, I could do it in a lot less time and for a bit less money. Dollar for dollar, I think that you would be hard pressed to mod the 3.0 to make similar power without sacrificing something. The intake on the 3.0 is the biggest hurdle. There isn't much you can do with a short runner intake, aside from maybe extrude honing it.

For the amount of tweaking and digging for parts from a very small aftermarket, all I'm saying is that, for me, the 3.4 made more sense. If you want to mod the 3.0, go crazy, but from my research, most of the engine tweaks didn't live up to the hopes of the tweaker.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:26 PM

I was a very satisfied 3.0 owner. Put 166,000 troublefree miles on mine. (It did have the headgasket recall work done, but it did not cost me anything.) It had reasonable power, was very smooth and quiet and was fun to drive when mated to a manual transmission. While we're at it, it still even looked nice for its age. (Yes, that pic was taken at 166,000 miles.)

That said, the 3.4 has a lot more power, especially at low RPMs and gets several miles per gallon better fuel economy. The distributorless ignition with OBD II diagnostics is way improved over the 3.0's system, the hotwire MAF is a lot more precise than the 3.0's flapper door AFM, 4 valves per cylinder really help the engine breathe when driving at high altitude. Finally, the 3.4 has far less vacuum lines and junk attached to the engine, making it considerably easier to service. For these reasons, I would opt for the 3.4, even though I had a great experience with my 3.0.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:44 PM

3.4 swaps:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...t=137361&pp=25
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...started-82145/
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=19684.0
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...5&o=14&fpart=1
http://www.offroadsolutions.com/tech...ersion_kit.htm
some links. you may have already checked em out.

headers and exhaust are sort of integrated in a 3.4 swap.
i just wanna see more 3.4 swaps out there. more tech, pics, time-savers, hiccups dos and donts.
let us know what you decide and how it works out!! good luck!!
Old 09-18-2007, 09:02 PM
Contributing Member

This documents my experience with the 3.4 swap that started a little over a year ago:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...warning-93642/

I might have considered rebuilding the 3.0 myself, if I had the facilities to do a proper engine rebuild (like a GARAGE!! ), but I've been VERY happy with the 3.4 since I got it running!

Quick Reply: Modified 3.0 versus 3.4 swap.