3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Modified 3.0 versus 3.4 swap.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Modified 3.0 versus 3.4 swap.

A few things have come together in the past couple years that may appease the individual who is considering swapping in a 3.4 in favour of modifying their 3.0 for similar power or at least more satisfying performance.

There is the common thread about the 3.0 and all it's supposed problems.
Then there is the fact that the 3.4 appears not to have as many problems as the 3.0 and it makes more power and gets better gas mileage (I honestly don't think you can compare a 3.0 to a 3.4 for gas mileage. First off, the 3.0's pull around heavier trucks than the 3.4 and they are also both geared differently).

But while everyone likes to cite all these reasons to try and justify it being cost effective to do a 3.4 swap over sticking with their 3.0 in their head, the bottomline is the real reason guys do a 3.4 swap is for power. You can tell me about the 3.0's head gasket "problems" until you're weak in the face, or about how the 3.4 gets better gas mileage as if you're trying to make yourself feel better for dropping big $$$ on a 3.4 swap, but the bottom line is it's all about power. No one can truly recover the costs of a 3.4 swap - it's not possible. It's about power, period. And I guess if you cost it out, it's probably a pretty worthwhile "mod" when you factor in past modifications guys have done to their 3.0, but it's still probably not as cost effective or fiscally responsible as just buying a 3.4 equipped rig that is newer, is worth more, has more/newer features, etc. (i.e. all V6 equipped Tacoma's come with A/C, not true with all 3.0 equipped trucks). The only reason I would swap in a 3.4 is for more power, and because I really like my truck as opposed to the weaker framed, not as heavy duty Tacoma. The bottom line is it's all about power.

So I'm thinking here - a few guys have done this - Johnny's cams, headers, and an exhaust. One individual says he's so satisfied with this setup he has put his goal of a 3.4 swap one day on hold indefinately. I'm really wondeirng how much power this set up would put out as opposed to a stock 3.0. But looking at the above set up - for those considering a 3.4 swap, if you could buy a high quality kit that includes the cams by Johnny, LCE Headers, and a high quality aftermarket exhaust if you knew it gave you just about as good of power as a 3.4 makes, would it appease your need for a 3.4 swap?

I mean this type of kit wouldn't be cheap, but it probably wouldn't be anywhere near as expensive or the headache involved in a 3.4 swap.

Thoughts?
Old 09-16-2007, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 3.4 swapped 1990. I did my swap about a year ago, and honestly it was 100% worth it. My 3.0 was tired, and either needed a rebuild or replacement. I saw it as instead of paying the money to rebuild the 3.0, I might as well do the 3.4 swap, which has more potential than the 3.0, doesnt have the head gasket issue, gets slightly better mpg, and I now have a unique truck. I know you are talking about building the 3.0, but think about getting the 3.4, then building internals on that, and adding a supercharger with the appropriate fuel mods... Yes this is costly, but you are going to be WAY further ahead, and more satisfied than if you had built the 3.0. I am fairly satisfied with the stock 3.4 (I ride a GSXR 600 streetbike also, so of course my truck feels slow), but adding the supercharger (sitting in my room awaiting fuel mods) will help with that. Its up to you, but IMO, 3.4 all the way! Just my 2cents
Old 09-16-2007, 10:32 PM
Contributing Member

It seems to me that if you have a healthy 3.0, why not just upgrade it. If you dont like the power difference, then you can always sell the slightly used parts and then do the 3.4 swap. Now if you have a tired hurting 3.0, then thats another story.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if i swap anything it will probably be a diesel. my 3.0 holds its own but the gas issue sucks.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I kinda like my good ol 3.slow. It runs smooth, and has power enough to get the job done. Don't get me wrong, It's no Nascar racer, but it can rally pretty damn good if I need it to.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:52 PM

Realisticly there isnt that much of an initial power difference between the 3vz and the 5vz, its just that the 3vz is so much less dependable it goes to much faster. In my oppinion, just for curiousity sake i would do some reading into the problems with the 3vz's construction and then decide.

A lot of people bitch about the fact that the 3.0 eats head gaskets, but very very few actually do anything to correct it. There are companies which manufacture better more durable head gaskets, and if you read up a lot of people agree that the headgasket failure on the 3.0 is partly due to the head bolts being too weak and having too much play. Most of the aforementioned companies sell more durable head studs to correct this issue.

Id say frankly if you can find out what you need to build the 3.0 and resolve the headgasket issue it would be much much less of a pain in teh ass then swapping in a 3.4, though im not sure how you would correct the gas mileage issue (though building it to have more power might fix this, since engines with more power dont have to work as hard to push around the same amount of weight).

Just a thought
Old 09-17-2007, 12:30 AM

I don't understand why people swap 3.4's for more power. 40 extra horse power does not seem worth the money to do a swap at all. If I do a swap it will be a 350. Much more power and a much much bigger after market.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kaleb
I don't understand why people swap 3.4's for more power. 40 extra horse power does not seem worth the money to do a swap at all. If I do a swap it will be a 350. Much more power and a much much bigger after market.
Why stop at just the 350,,,might as well do the body too.
Attached Thumbnails Modified 3.0 versus 3.4 swap.-17_podborka_69-3.jpg  

Last edited by 4JOGGER; 09-17-2007 at 01:09 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:15 AM
Contributing Member

those rigs always crack me up! Once I saw an MG-B body on a K5 Blazer frame.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:16 AM

I just started my 3.0 rebuild and have Downey headers, oversize valves (engbldr), will have a custom exhaust, will ship my cams to John, and have a MLS hg that should eliminate any more blown head gaskets. I'm also doing some light intake mods. Additionally, I have tons of new OEM Toyota parts. This engine will be nearly brand new with more power. Tons of power? Probably not. More, substantial? Most likely yes.

Initially I was going to do the 3.4 swap and use the ORS conversion kit, but after crunching numbers I came up with nearly the same cost as ORS's estimate (I have an auto). Power to cost ratio? Not worth the hassle in my opinion. Sure I could also pop a SC in there for a few grand more and gain more HP and more tuning problems. Plus now there would be another piece of equipment that needs maintenance and a rebuild at some point.

After mulling over it I decided to keep the 3.0, rebuild/modify it and spend any real money on drive train and suspension improvements which would see far better results that just seeking more hp. Good machine work, headers and the MLS gasket should make the reliability issue (hg) go away. Some of you may not know this, but early 3.4 engines also suffered blown head gaskets.

Anyways, thats my opinion and I'm happy I'm going this route.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Kaleb
Because some people want to stay toyota. Everyone and there mother can swap a 350 in, but a toyota motor is a different story. Yes power per dollar is where the 350 shines. Though having a 3.4 and the 3.0 holy crapola theres not comparison. I'm sure you heard of the truck swap mod?
this

to this

the other reason is when a 350 comes into play you have to uprgrade everything from driveline to god only knows what else, and by the time you make it so your not ripping your parts in half with to much power you might as well have swapped for that 3.4 and save yourself the hassle. I wanted to swap for the Lexus V8 for my current 3.4 but decided since only a couple of guys are in the process of doing it, I would wait and see how theres come out. Most toyota owners just want a little more power 40hp is good I would like 40 more and thats what the Lex V8 would give me ok maybe a few more but you get the idea. And I wouldn't have to swap a crap load of stuff and being worried about killing my tranny or t-case or anything. The power range is still close enough that the stock components could handle the extra power.

Aaron

Last edited by xcmountain80; 09-17-2007 at 06:30 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by fork
if i swap anything it will probably be a diesel. my 3.0 holds its own but the gas issue sucks.

Secong that motion. When the time comes and i get another non-4wheeling car i will try to do the 1kd swap (isnt that the latest Diesel? But by that time i hope to be doing more expedition type wheeling like Adventures West
Old 09-17-2007, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by hross14
Secong that motion. When the time comes and i get another non-4wheeling car i will try to do the 1kd swap (isnt that the latest Diesel? But by that time i hope to be doing more expedition type wheeling like Adventures West
Isn't there a company that does Yota swaps I priced my 3rd Gen runner out and it was $10k turnkey.

Aaron
Old 09-17-2007, 07:44 AM

all i have to say is from the sounds of your argument you have never driven a 3.4 swapped rig.

And when your talking rebuilding a 3.0 for 1000 plus time if you do it your self. say 1500 to 1800 if you have someone else do it. And we are talking completely stock no mods. It doesnt make sense to me that people wouldnt spend slightly more and have more power and torque oh and the possiblity to upgrade EVEN farther much farther then can be hoped for out of a 3.0
Old 09-17-2007, 12:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I did the 3.4 swap with mine because I love the truck and it's paid for. I picked up the complete 3.4 for $2000 Canadian, put another $1000 into the exhaust and crossover pipe, plus probably another $300-400 in the little extras, like battery relocation, hood scoop for the extra height, new plugs, etc. All told, including buying the truck, I've got around $8000 into it. Used 4Runners with 3.4s are still asking more than $10k. Will I ever recover my money from the swap? Probably not. Do I know a hell of a lot more about my truck now than before I did it? Yep.

If you're going to do it yourself and have about a week of spare time, go for the swap. If you're going to pay someone else, it's something you're really going to have to look closely at.

But modding the 3.0? No, I doubt you'd be able to make it nearly as much fun as my 3.4. I do get about 10-15% better mileage, if I keep my foot out of it. I can climb hills in 5th gear at highways speeds where, before, I could barely manage to climb in 3rd with the tach pegged.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:03 PM

nones swapping in a 350 for mileage either, yota owner wanna yota powerplant. also, i think its more about where the road can go....the 3pointslo has potential, but its $:HP is waaaay worse than the 3.4 40 hp increase may not seem that much but the possibilities and actual gains inherent in the 5vz make it a better engine than the 3vz. i plan to do the swap as i see no other way of getting the power i want, mileage range i can accept, but the reliability factor is something that a 3.0 with 200 different after market part cannot compete with......
sooooo... out with the 3 point slow and in with the 3 point fo'

and on a side note....in cali your actually limited with how you go....you have to swap to new blocks, and passing emissions with heavily modded engines can be tricky..... 350
Old 09-17-2007, 07:31 PM

First off, about me not having driven a 3.4 swapped rig - my brother owns a 96 4runner with the 5 speed manual and the 3.4. It's more powerful, has more torque, the torque comes on earlier, but it's not mind blowingly more powerful in all honesty.

I appreciate the input from those who have some input on the 3.4 from having swapped it, but I have yet to hear from the 3.0 crowd as far as those who are on the fence about a swap, or considering modifications. I want to re-emphasize that there is a group of modifications out there for 3.0 owners that will probaby satisfy you with your stock rig and not require the headache of going to a 3.4 swap, nor the cost or large inconvenience. But I guess it would be tough to compare unless we had dyno information.
I honestly don't think the 3.4 is THAT much more reliable than the 3.0. Consider that the 3.0 in stock form is very reliable if maintained, and that it also has gears that generally require it to have to run higher RPM's all around, plus 3.0's are also pulling around heavier machines, on average, compared to 3.4 equipped rigs.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:00 PM

By the way, my 3.0 is sitting in my brother's carport in Kelowna. It's complete, except for oil pan and starter. The alternator, power steering pump, computer, fan, intake, airbox, etc. is all there. Anyone willing to make me a reasonable offer and pick it up, you're welcome to it!
Old 09-17-2007, 08:40 PM

Why don't you take some of your engine knowledge you utilized to do the swap, and rebuild your 3.0 and sell it to try and recoup the costs of your huge investment into the 3.4 swap?
Old 09-17-2007, 08:49 PM

Because it's in Kelowna and I really don't feel like dragging it back to Calgary, plus the fact that I really don't have time with the other projects going on, I figured I'd find some 3.0 lover that wanted it to rebuild.

Quick Reply: Modified 3.0 versus 3.4 swap.