3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

I am doing it 3.0 to 3.4 swap with complete engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking I am doing it 3.0 to 3.4 swap with complete engine rebuild

Well it is official I have found a 1997 3.4 engine out of a T100 on Craigslist and bought it for $150. I have the entire long block minus the passenger side head, and complete uncut wire harness, the guy I bought it from sold off one head BOO, but not too big of a setback I need to get new heads anyway. The engine had a crack in the cylinder head that lead to a Head gasket leak. the engine also had around 180K on it and the cylinder walls are smooth. I have given myself eight months to get the engine running(wife limiting me on spending per month, lol), and 12 months from today to have it in the 4runner.

I have talked to my local machine shop and I will be boring the engine over .020" just to have clean cylinders and install an entire engine rebuild kit. I have also found one passenger side head head already rebuilt no core charge required. So now I need to send the other driver side off to CHI for a rebuilt head, and get an ECU MT 4x4 which I have found online. I plan on running headers but not sure on the clearance issues for this motor on a 1991 4runner. I know there was a website that made headers for this conversion but they are no longer in business. Are there any other headers that work for this swap?

This is going to be a fun build, I have been stripping the engine down the last couple of days and I will be posting pictures soon. I am very comfortable working on cars but as most I am a little scared of the wiring portion of this build. Well thanks in advance for all the advice and help I will get. This site is awesome for information and step by step instructions and troubleshooting.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Not a bad swap if you do your homework.

:wabbit2:
Old 03-05-2012, 12:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What transmission do you have? Make sure you get the right ECU for the transmission.

Most of the headers that I looked into still dump it out the passenger side which interfere with slave clutch assembly.
I didn't experiment with swaping bell housing with the 5spd from the newer transmisson to see if that'll work or not.

oh, do the search too...and read the sticky ones on the top. It'll help you understand a lot of about the swap.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:24 PM

Anthony1, I have the R150F 5 Speed Manual transmission and I have found a matching ECU. Also it looks like I am going to have to use the exhaust manifolds boo.. but we shall see, I still have a lot of time to work that out.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:44 PM

Well stripped down the engine a bit more this week. Also went to the junk yard to scope out some parts. One of the parts I am missing is the vsv so my goal is to snag one at the junk yard. I know it is located around wheel well but not to sure what it looks like.

I have a running estimate of about $2400 so not too bad with an entire engine build up. My goal is to get about 200 HP and 225 ftlb, enough to pull a 2000lb trailer cross country when I move in a year and a half.

Also if anyone is in the Monterey area and wants to try kayak fishing hit me up. I have 3 yaks here and hit the water almost every weekend. Salmon season opens soon followed by the the amazing white seabass. You haven't fished until you've done it on a kayak. I will post pictures thus weekend.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd take you up on the fishing. Come pick me up Good luck on the 3.4. Take your time and search ya ass off.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:04 PM

Here is a picture of the Beast, funny story my wife helped me paint it. Love this 4runner just want more power and better fuel economy.
So I did quite a bit more this weekend. Went to a junk yard and got a starter, ac compressor and purchased the MT 4X4 ECU off ebay. I will be going back next week for the PSP and alternator, still no luck on the VSV but I have plenty of time for that. Also the engine is all stripped down except for crank, rods and pistons which will be removed this week. Something weird I found while stripping the engine down was one of the lines coming from the oil sending unit was clogged with what looked to be a rust/dirt combination, but o well that is why I am doing a complete rebuild. I hope to get the block into the machine shop next month to get cleaned up and bored out.
Attached Thumbnails I am doing it 3.0 to 3.4 swap with complete engine rebuild-430262_560296030665_56400174_31018899_1073073291_n.jpg  
Old 03-20-2012, 08:57 AM

OK new heads have been purchased got a sweet deal 2 heads that have been reworked for $300. The engine is stripped down to block crank rods and pistons and ready to take to machine shop. Here are some pictures of the block and my garage work area, no much to look at but trying to document as I go along.
Attached Thumbnails I am doing it 3.0 to 3.4 swap with complete engine rebuild-resized1.jpg   I am doing it 3.0 to 3.4 swap with complete engine rebuild-resized2.jpg   I am doing it 3.0 to 3.4 swap with complete engine rebuild-resized3.jpg  
Old 03-20-2012, 01:29 PM

I've never done a swap, but I've done a ton of research. Here are some good links in my opinion:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...-101-a-239002/

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...splant-143516/

There was a good write up on wiring in the second one there.

Good luck, subscribed!
Old 03-22-2012, 02:06 PM

So did some more cleaning in the garage today and put together a parts list of what I have and what I need.

Have:
long Block
AC compressor
Starter
Wire Harness
ECU
Reworked Heads

Need:
PSP( will the 3.0 PSP work?)
VSV
Alternator or use 3.0 alt (some people have done this)
coils
passenger side valve cover

I am sure that I'm missing a few things but that is what I can think off the top of my head.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:54 PM

Ok today was a good day, I got the PSP and the VSV and canister from the junk yard. Now I fell like it is all coming together, at least the engine. Now I really have to get the block sent off, the local machine shop is backed up (up to 6 weeks) but again I am in no hurry plus I am ahead of schedule as of now. The time the block is in the shop will give me time to install the lift and make sure I understand all the wiring. I will post pictures this weekend of all the components needed for the swap as a pictorial dictionary.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:49 AM

Welcome to the swap!!! May your path be clear and easy
Old 03-26-2012, 06:23 PM

My new heads came in today along with all the gaskets and head bolts. I have also started to take pictures of all the parts required for the swap psp, starter, vsv and so on.
Attached Thumbnails I am doing it 3.0 to 3.4 swap with complete engine rebuild-new-heads.jpg   I am doing it 3.0 to 3.4 swap with complete engine rebuild-power-steering-pump.jpg   I am doing it 3.0 to 3.4 swap with complete engine rebuild-vsv-canister.jpg  
Old 03-26-2012, 06:28 PM

here is the starter, intake and manifolds
Attached Thumbnails I am doing it 3.0 to 3.4 swap with complete engine rebuild-starter.jpg   I am doing it 3.0 to 3.4 swap with complete engine rebuild-intake-injectors.jpg   I am doing it 3.0 to 3.4 swap with complete engine rebuild-rsz_exhaust_manifolds.jpg  
Old 03-26-2012, 07:06 PM

Lastly here is the rest of the intake/throttle body, fuel rails and heads with gaskets. I have been cleaning all the old parts getting them ready to install. Also still need to get the block into the shop to get worked over. I am still looking over all the yards for a crossover, I am going to go with the toyotaonlyswaps crossover but I need to get a core to send off to them. This week I hope to start to look at the wire harness and mark all my wires to make the whole process faster.
Attached Thumbnails I am doing it 3.0 to 3.4 swap with complete engine rebuild-thottle-body-intake.jpg   I am doing it 3.0 to 3.4 swap with complete engine rebuild-fuel-rails.jpg   I am doing it 3.0 to 3.4 swap with complete engine rebuild-new-heads-gaskets-head-bolts.jpg  
Old 03-29-2012, 10:30 AM

So if all goes as planned I will take the block into the machine shop tomorrow. I have worked out a deal with the shop owner to build up the engine in his shop with his help. So I am getting real excited, might be able to get the complete swap done in June when I have time off from work. I am also going to forgo the lift and try and see if it will fit. I have read a few post saying that this works but we shall see. So the only parts I am still lacking are passenger side valve cover, coils, crossover, maf, aftermarket intake, and new oil dipstick/guide. The only thing that might slow me down is salmon season opens next weekend and boy I love salmon!
Old 04-03-2012, 09:37 PM

Ok block is in the shop getting cylinders bored and honned, crank and rods are being reworked also all new pistons, rings, seals and bearings are being installed. Have all gaskets and all new bolts to put this engine back together. And just in the nick of time, my 3.0 is acting up, the radiator is starting to bubble over on long trips, looks like the head gasket is slowly going.

So in a few weeks I get my engine back and I can finally put it all back together.

Last week I was able to work on the wire harness a bit, preparing to convert the A/T ecu plugs to M/T plugs. I also cleaned all the engine parts making sure they are ready for install.

My concerns now are the crossover pipe ( need to buy from toyotaonlyswap), fuel line swap (not too bad), psp lines ( really concerned) and hooking up the harness correctly.

I can only hope humpty dumpty goes back together without a lot of trouble.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:56 AM

Still waiting on the block, should be in the shop for a couple more weeks. I am still trying to get a cross over pipe, the guys at toyotaonlyswap don't have any in stock, but as soon as they do I will get it. As stated before I am going to get the swap done sooner than I originaly planned. My goal now is June time when I have 2 weeks off from work, and I will have help in town. I can not wait.
Question: what clutch should I use? Will the standard oe 3.0 clutch hold up to the added stress or should I go for a stage 2 or 3, 3.0 clutch?
Old 04-09-2012, 01:12 PM

I went with the 3.4 clutch from Marlin (3.4 disk, 3.4 pressure plate, 3.4 pilot bearing, 3.0 throwout bearing), their 3.4 flywheel and a 3.4 M/T starter from Napa (there's different PN's for auto vs manual transmissions). Mine's not running yet, so I can't really comment much past "it all mounted up without issue."

Rumor has it that the 3.4 flywheel/clutch combo has a larger mating surface, which would imply it can handle the extra power better than the 3.0 clutch, but I've read of guys running either without issue.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:02 PM

Well did a bit more research, think I will stay with the 3.0 trans parts just upgrade to a heavy duty clutch that us rated for a bit more HP and torque. Found a crossover thus week going to send off to Toyotonlyswap, to get rebuilt. Engine is still in shop and I am trying to round up the last of the parts I need to get her running. Also for anyone interested there is a supercharger on eBay for 500 or so

Quick Reply: I am doing it 3.0 to 3.4 swap with complete engine rebuild