3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

EVAP system n/a

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 06:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by anthony1
The ref told me when I had the K&N decal issue that I just tell him what I want to call this engine...T100, 4runner, Tacoma...he'll put that in. The ECU doesn't say what it is.
I think in CA, the 4R and Taco might have 2 cats so I didn't want to deal with that....
Honestly, you have a damn nice ref. the guy in Fresno wouldnt answer a single question or really even talk to me. Everything went through his assistant who knew just about nothing.

Good luck on getting it resolved
Old 06-02-2012, 11:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another ECU arrived on Friday. I plugged in the ECU, without starting the engine, it read the same as the other one..." n/a "
I've decided to pull the whole harness back out into the engine compartment so I can look and trace the Evap wires again.
It turned out that I had wired the evap with 12V instead of coming back from VSV.
I was using the old evap canister but now, I'm going to use the big honking square one mount next to the brake booster.
I'm going to rewired the whole evap system again.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Another ECU arrived on Friday. I plugged in the ECU, without starting the engine, it read the same as the other one..." n/a "
I've decided to pull the whole harness back out into the engine compartment so I can look and trace the Evap wires again.
It turned out that I had wired the evap with 12V instead of coming back from VSV.
I was using the old evap canister but now, I'm going to use the big honking square one mount next to the brake booster.
I'm going to rewired the whole evap system again.
Well at least you got it figured out. Pain in the ass but better than troubleshooting forever.

I am going to double down on my comment that you had a good ref!!!! Answers question, allowing the driver's side drop AND was going to let you pass with the old style EVAP system!!!! WOW!!!

My guy would have failed me for any of those individually!!
Old 06-03-2012, 12:29 PM

yeah. I do. He gave me his number that I called twice already. Both times he answered. He didn't even cared about the driver side dropped exhaust.: )
Old 06-07-2012, 06:38 PM

Does anyone knows where "evp2" connection goes to for 96 T100 auto harness?
I'm stumped at the moment. I hooked it up like the ones with big honking canister and the ECU gave me all kinds of MAF codes. Interestingly, it thinks I'm good with EGR monitor which I don't have.

I have the 4wire Throttle sensor and it doesn't have a fuel vapor pressure in the ewd.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:17 PM

Does anyone knows where "evp2" connection goes to for 96 T100 auto harness?
I'm stumped at the moment. I hooked it up like the ones with big honking canister and the ECU gave me all kinds of MAF codes. Interestingly, it thinks I'm good with EGR monitor which I don't have.
Do you have the EWD for a 96 T100? I checked the EWD for my 96 4Runner and I only have an "EVP" (no "EVP2") on the ECU that connects to the EVAP VSV.

I'm speculating here: is it possible that the T100 used 2 EVAP VSVs while the Tacoma and 4Runners only used 1? You'll really want to dig into that, and if the ECU is expecting to see 2 EVAP VSVs you may need a different charcoal canister, VSVs, new wires ran between ECU and VSV. It may be worthwhile to call the ref and just ask what EXACTLY he/CARB is expecting to see.

Good luck and I wish I could be of more help, but I don't know much about the T100s and I didn't grab any T100 documentation from TIS.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:04 AM

I got the EWD from 96 T100 and it doesn't say anything about that.
During my search, I found that the 96 T100 use "non instrusive" evap system. It shows the vapor pressure sensor on it yet my EWD doesn't show it anywhere.

Maybe someone can disconnect there VPS, VSV to see if the scanner will show Evap system monitor "n/a" or something else.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:59 PM

I've talked to a smog guy near my house as well as the dealer. They told me that in these T100 started to come out in mid 95 about the same time as Tacoma. State of CA doesn't require the Evap Monitor till 96. None of my wiring shows anything about vapor pressure sensor. They think that I still have the old system.
They suggest that I tell the ref that it's a 95 T100 model. There's only a few diag code starting with 4 which has to do with the evap stuff.

I just made another apointment for Jun18th.( earliest they have)