3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Which ECU ECM? 2x4 or 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which ECU ECM? 2x4 or 4x4

First off, if this has been discussed already, and I just haven't found it yet, please point me in the right direction; and sorry for the additional thread. I searched a bit, but it's late, I'm tired, and I REALLY just wanted to get this out there for you guys input. (/disclaimer-apology) lol ...

And the issue in question:

I have begun (yet again) to try and get something done on my swap. One of the last major things that I need to source for my swap is an ECM for a 5-spd. The 3.4 donor is an automatic '99 4Runner Limited that was produced in 12/98. This is going into a '93 P/U (formerly 3.slo) with 5-spd, X-cab, and 4x4.

In a phone call with Mike at ORS, he recommended that I source the new ECM from a '99 or '2000 4Runner with 5-spd. And this is where my question comes into play. It seems that the VZN185 chassis code is for 4x4 Runners and the VZN180 chassis code is for 4x2 Runners. As you might expect, there are different ECM's for the different chassis.

So for my application, would it make a difference whether I use the 4x4 ECM or not? I guess what I am wondering is if the '93 P/U has any 4x4 electronics (lights, gauges, sensors, ect ...) that need to be powered. And if there are such electronics, will the new 4x4 ECM take care of their needs?

What will I loose by using the 4x2 ECM, or gain by using the 4x4 ECM?

I have not yet checked cost on the two, but I would be suprised if there was no difference. Either way it's going to be expensive.

Months back, another Mike - at my local Stealership, did some research for me and suggested an ECM part numbered 89661-3D560 or 89661-3D561. That ECM is for chassis VZN185..5F. That's a 4x4 chassis code, but does anyone know what the '5F' part of the chassis code means? There is also a '4FC' suffix available on chassis codes. Anyone know what the suffixes denote?

And back to the part number he suggested; anyone have an idea about the difference between the 3D560 and the 3D561? An online listing of ECM's that I found here ---->http://www.kingtec.net:81/images/upl.../26/125407.pdf would seem to indicate that the '561' may just be a substitute EMC number. Check page 72 on that list to see what I am referring to. Now that maybe an old list, it's dated 8/26/04, I don't know. But according to that list, my choices seem to be 89661-3D560, 89661-3D561, 89661-3D570, or 89661-3D571.

If I knew what the 4FC and 5F on the chassis codes stood for, I might be able to narrow it down some.

Also, I am pretty sure that I DON'T want the California spec ECM right? That one probably just has more emissions stuff programmed into it that might make my life more difficult, yes?

Wow, like most of my posts, this thing has turned into a monster - sorry for the long read. But, I wanted to make sure I gave as much information as I could, to help folks answer my questions. Maybe if we get some good feedback in here it will help to enrichen the site's content and knowledge base.

I have my own swap thread going, but I thought it might be a good idea to pose these questions in their own thread to make for easier searching in the future.

Well, I am off to see if I can find any other info here on the site about part numbers and chassis codes. I would like to know what that 89661 prefix in the part number means too.

Last edited by Strider7; 01-15-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:40 PM

Ok, so I am an idiot ... I just realized/remembered that the ECM I have (from the auto 4Runner donor) is 89661-3D550. So that means that I need to edit my original post to remove both 89661-3D550 and the sub for it 89661-3D551, since they are for the auto transmission.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:45 PM

So, I see that some of you have been checking out this thread, lol ...

Well I did some calling around today, and here is what I learned (I was able to get most of my questions answered).

Q: For my application, would it make a difference whether I use the 4x4 ECM or not? I guess what I am wondering is if the '93 P/U has any 4x4 electronics (lights, gauges, sensors, ect ...) that need to be powered. And if there are such electronics, will the new 4x4 ECM take care of their needs?

What will I loose by using the 4x2 ECM, or gain by using the 4x4 ECM?

I have not yet checked cost on the two, but I would be suprised if there was no difference. Either way it's going to be expensive.

A: All of those questions are pointless, as it seems that the only way to get a 5-spd 3.4L ECM for a 4Runner in that production period is in the 4x4 trim. There is no 5-spd ECM offered for a 3.4L 4x2 Runner produced in that time frame.

The applicable part numbers are: 89661-3D560 or 89661-3D561 (just like my local guy told me months ago ... duh). The 561 is the newer version of the ECM, either will work.

As far as any lights, gauges, sensors, ect ... for the 93's 4x4 system goes, Mike at ORS said that his harness would address all of that - so no worries there.

Local Stealership quoted me $1544 for the 89661-3D561 ECM. OUCH! Man, where is Ebay when you need it?

Q: That ECM is for chassis VZN185..5F. That's a 4x4 chassis code, but does anyone know what the '5F' part of the chassis code means? There is also a '4FC' suffix available on chassis codes. Anyone know what the suffixes denote?

A: '5F' denotes 5-spd on the floor, while '4FC' denotes 4-spd automatic on the column.

Q: Anyone have an idea about the difference between the 3D560 and the 3D561?

A: I answered this one above; it's just an updated part number. Either will work.

Q: I am pretty sure that I DON'T want the California spec ECM right? That one probably just has more emissions stuff programmed into it that might make my life more difficult, yes?

A: I'm sticking with yes on that one. If I lived in Cali, maybe ... but I'm in Texas, so lets keep is simple.

So that takes care of just about all of my questions, well except for the question of what the 89661 prefix in the part number means. But that one isn't really all that important.

After all of this was said and done today, ORS Mike suggested an alternative to searching for a used ECM to match my harness, or just buying a new unit. He suggested that I might find a used ECM and matching harness from any '99 to 2002 5-spd 3.4L equiped truck or 4Runner. Now why didn't I think of that? And to top it all off, I bet if I go back and re-read all of the previous threads on the 3.4 swap, that suggestion has probably been made before. Ah well, at least it is in my mind now.

So there, I answered all my questions on my own. Aren't you guys proud of me, lol ...

So ... anybody got a lead on that ECM I need, or maybe a matching ECM and harness?
Old 01-16-2008, 05:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Strider7

So there, I answered all my questions on my own. Aren't you guys proud of me, lol ...
Yes, good work

So ... anybody got a lead on that ECM I need, or maybe a matching ECM and harness?
Have you tried here:
http://www.car-part.com/

Also keep looking on ebay every day or so.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:41 AM

Thanks MT, I'll check that site, and yes, I have been hitting Ebay daily now.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:57 PM

Wow, that was fast ... I checked the car parts site and found several places that had the ECM for sale. A local place here in the Houston Metro wanted $300 for one with a year warranty, and I found one in VA for $160 shipped.

I finally found these guys - All West Coast Auto Wrecking USA-WA(Shelton) Request_Quote 1-800-720-4599. Their guy Kevin is sending me the ECM out for $80 shipped! At that price, I can take the risk of not having the 12 month warranty.

Now lets just hope he sends me the part I asked for ... Let you know in a few days on that one.

But a question about the anti-theft system in the newer trucks has been raised. A couple of the guys I talked to mentioned that there might be problems with the ECM and the transponder signals not matching with those of the engine. This is news to me, and I am wondering whether or not ORS's harness addresses that issue too. One of the aforementioned guys said that I might have to take the ECM to Toyota to let them program it for the new engine that it will be mated to. Well in any case, I am not going to call and bother Mike (ORS) about it until next week when hopefully my ECM will have arrived.

Please post up if you have any info about the anti-theft transponders in 1999 and newer Yotas, as pertains to the swap.

Last edited by Strider7; 01-16-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Contributing Member

Please post up if you have any info about the anti-theft transponders in 1999 and newer Yotas, as pertains to the swap.
That's a good price, I'd pick up an extra one for that price.

Never heard of the anti-theft thing being an issue.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:29 PM

Well, All West Coast Auto Wrecking USA only had that one in stock - at least that's what Kevin told me. Money's kinda tight anyway - or at least that's what my wife wants me to believe, lol.

*wife passes through the office all decked out in a new business attire for work*

"Nice outfit hun"

*Strider wonders where she got the money for it - money is tight ya know* ha,ha

Seriously though, yeah that was a great deal! I really appreciate the help on that. And if this one does crap out on me, or proves to be a dud, then there were other sellers listed that supposedly had them in stock; so I could always pick up another later if I need to.

That's good news that you haven't heard of anti-theft being an issue. Perhaps Mike's (ORS) harness takes care of it, or maybe you don't run into the problem because the late model truck's body harness isn't being used. I don't know. Anyways, for now I am happy because I have the computer that I need headed my way.

I'm in my happy place, lol.

EDIT: And I meant to mention that I am going to take some time and reread all of the other swap threads and see if anyone mentioned anything about the anti-theft issue. These guys today said it was only a problem with the newer '99 on up trucks.

Last edited by Strider7; 01-16-2008 at 04:33 PM. Reason: I forgot to say something, duh ...
Old 01-17-2008, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

My donor was an '02 Taco, and I have not had any issues that are related to any anti-theft stuff.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by breknraj
My donor was an '02 Taco, and I have not had any issues that are related to any anti-theft stuff.
Mine was an 01 Taco and ditto.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:32 PM

Ok, thanks guys; that's good news! If I get any more info on it, you know I will post it up.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:07 PM

If it was from a "Transponder equipped vehicle" there could be issues. As you are buying the ORS harness, Mike already figured out how to fool the computer with his harness. Certain grounds need to be deleted from the harness and Mike took care of this.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:34 AM

Thanks, 'Kid' ... that is even better news.

And to show you how much I appreciate that, here ... *pushes a plate of cake to the 'Kid'* (he,he,he)

Last edited by Strider7; 01-22-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:37 PM

WooHoo!!! Brown brought me a box today, and inside was my computer! Success! ... It is the right part number and although used, the ECM appears to be un-abused.

I'm one step closer to a running truck.