3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

AC pulley lineup with 93 3.0 compressor, 3.4 out of 95 T100

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC pulley lineup with 93 3.0 compressor, 3.4 out of 95 T100

Frustrated and unsure what is going on here. Have seen from multiple sources that "you can use the 3.4 bracket or 3.0 bracket with some modifications, swap pulley and it will bolt right up" and "3.0 blocks and 3.4 blocks are the same on the bottom"

Either those people are filthy liars or we're (somehow) working on very different trucks.

I've got a 93 SR5 4x4 that I swapped the engine from a 95 T100 3.4 into. Over a thousand miles and a month later its running great! Power is fantastic. With summer approaching I would like to keep my R12 air compressor since it was working when the 3.0 was still in the truck, and I don't particularly want to swap out any more components or have subpar AC. Note that the donor truck, a 95 3.4 had a belt on the AC compressor when I started and I believe that the AC worked (it still had some pressure when I pulled the lines). So I did as instructed and pulled the V-pulley off and swapped on the R134 compressor pulley and spacer. Slid the compressor into the stock 3.4 bracket....and the compressor is too far back, the grooves in the compressor pulley line up with about half of the rearmost belt grooves in the harmonic balancer pulley and half of the grooves in the AC belt grooves on the harmonic balancer pulley.

Ok, so maybe I need to use the 3.0 bracket to make this work...pulled compressor, pulled 3.4 bracket from block, spent over an hour cutting down the 3.0 bracket to make it fit around the front mounting boss and T-belt tensioner. Get done, install AC compressor....now the pulley on the compressor lines up about midway with the REAR of the harmonic balancer.

So...neither one of these will work. With one I'm about 3/8" too far rearward, and with the other I'm more than an inch too far rearward.

Is there something special about either year of these trucks that I can't make this setup work? And if so, what year bracket do I need to make it work? Or am I going to be forced to switch to a different compressor and refrigerant?
Old 05-26-2015, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, that's unfortunate. With my swap my 3.0 R12 compressor bolted right to the 3.4 bracket (from a 96/97 4Runner), then swapped over the pulley (like from the A/C How-To thread) and everything just lined up and worked.

I don't have any real advice for you other than maybe go see what a junk yard wants for that bracket from a 96-97 4Runner (I'm sure other will work, but that's what I have), and if it isn't too much buy it and see if there's any difference or if it works any better.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:40 PM

Ha! I'm in the same boat. My truck is an '89 extra cab. I went through the same trials as you and as far as I can tell, the compressor itself changed somewhere along the line. My stock '89 r12 compressor is about 3/8" distance too far back. I toyed with spacing the pulley itself out but it just doesn't like like the clutch would function properly.

I'm to the point where I'm looking for a 3.4 compressor to stick in there, apparently it works with just swapping the top plate from the old one so the lines hook up...and then converting to r134, recharging etc.... Let me know if you come up with anything else as I'd still really prefer to keep my still charged r12 system with the 3.4.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser
Ha! I'm in the same boat. My truck is an '89 extra cab. I went through the same trials as you and as far as I can tell, the compressor itself changed somewhere along the line. My stock '89 r12 compressor is about 3/8" distance too far back. I toyed with spacing the pulley itself out but it just doesn't like like the clutch would function properly.

I'm to the point where I'm looking for a 3.4 compressor to stick in there, apparently it works with just swapping the top plate from the old one so the lines hook up...and then converting to r134, recharging etc.... Let me know if you come up with anything else as I'd still really prefer to keep my still charged r12 system with the 3.4.
For curiosities sake, what year/model did your 3.4 come out of?

I picked up another T100 AC compressor bracket from the junkyard last weekend and it appears to be the same between the 95 T100 I got my 3.4 out of and the 98 that was in the junkyard. Going to go back in a few days and see if I can find a late 90's 4runner or pickup and compare the T100 AC bracket to that one to see if its any different. Another thought I had was that the harmonic balancer might be different between the T100's and the Taco/4runners.

I'm in the same boat, going to try and do everything I can to keep the R12 system because I've heard stories about how converting to R134 doesn't blow as cold. Wonder if our toys have an expansion valve or orifice that can be swapped out for better R134 performance in a retrofitted system?
Old 05-26-2015, 06:49 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
The t-100 trucks were a funky set up. You may need to fight the brackets off of a 3.4 4runner. And even then the upper right bolt area may need some grinding to fit with the engine mount brackets.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by greenbuggy
For curiosities sake, what year/model did your 3.4 come out of?
My 3.4 was from a '98 4runner 2wd auto.

For what it's worth, I helped a friend convert his 90's t-bird to r134 a few years ago and it seemed to work really well. Plenty cold. I would still rather use my existing parts if possible.