3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

3.4 oil pressure not reading??? Running hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 02:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
3.4 oil pressure not reading??? Running hot

So I did a 3.4 swap into my 94 4runner and I used a 3.0 oil pressure unit like Im suposed to with this swap. Its not registering any reading on my gauge. I rebuilt the motor very recently and its all wired and ready to go. Ive gotten it started but without reading any pressure in oil im affraid to turn it on and keep it running. the intake manifolds and heads are really hot after about 1min. running. So question how can I check my pressure to see if maybe just my gauge is out or if i truly have no pressure?

Also my lower radiator hose never seems to get hot while all other do. Bad therostat maybe? I also noticed if I run the motor till its hot i get a small leak out of a freeze plug which really sucks cause there brand new.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks
Old 09-10-2007, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have the engine grounded well, it could cause it to not read, but it sounds like you have bigger problems
Old 09-10-2007, 02:29 PM

ya really haha. I know ive got problems. Ive heard nightmares off running without oil and Im not about to let that happen. I just wondered if I could check it easily and if so how? As for the overheating Im almost convined my theromstat is bad even though its new it could still be. I may go get one from the dealer just to see if it makes a difference. All my hoses are very hot aside from the lower radiator hose. It should be reciculating since its so hot.

Last edited by fillsrunner4; 09-10-2007 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is your water pump working ok? Could one of your coolant "holes" of gotten blocked off during the swap? I dropped a washer in one of mine while I had the bottom intake manifold off replacing a knock sensor. I was lucky and saw it drop in and was able to get it out with a magnet.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:56 PM

the Water pump is brand new and i dont see how it would not be working. Its getting fluid everywere and to all the hoses, except the lower radiator hose. It stays cold while all the others are really hot. As for dropping or cloging the lines, no i did drop one bolt but I was also lucky enough to be able to get it out.

Ive got my oil pressuer switch out I dont know how I can test it though any help here? on this aswell My oil pan is real warm too. Ive not run my motor for more than a minuet or two

Thanks for the help so far
Old 09-10-2007, 02:59 PM

I put an oil filler relocation kit on my truck. Its very easy to get to. Could I check pressure by taking the filter off and seeing if it flows oil? do you think I could test if Im getting any pressure this way?
Old 09-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you checked the oil dipstick to see if there's enough oil? How about the oil pump, is it in good condition?

yes, if you can check if oil going through the relocation kit, that would be good.

better yet, return the filter to the stock location first then see if it solves the problem.

also, try removing the thermostat and see if the lower hose warms up.

hth

Last edited by KZN185W; 09-10-2007 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:52 PM

So I checked my oil dipstick and it smelled like gas. so I drained it and its was disgusting. It was dark and stank like gas. Before I was able to get my motor started i stupidly had my plugs wrong and flooded my motor. i pulled the plugs, cleaned them and I fixed the wiring and it fired up. Im gonna pull my thermostat and change the oil. Before i drained all the oil I took off the oil filter and cranked the motor. it pumped oil so it should be flowing. I may try taking off the relocation kit and see if it reads then. thanks
Old 09-10-2007, 04:43 PM

i have the same problem on a 94 pickup with the 3.4 swap but my lower hose does get hot. i also dont have a reading on my oil pressure gauge on my cluster and its ran fine. go get a mechanical gauge that should work to check it.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

please educate me on this:

why use an oil pressure sensor from the 3.0L 3VZ-E on the 3.4 L 5VZ-FE. Why not use the 5VZ-FE's stock oil pressure sensor?

Thanks.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:54 PM

the signals are different from the 3.0 sensor to the 3.4 sensor i belive so correct me if im wrong.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The sending unit from the 3.4 has been known to blow the oil pressure gauge out in the 3.0 dash. They're direct bolt in replacements. First, did you wrap the sending unit pipe threads with Teflon tape? If so, get it all off because you're probably not getting a good ground with it. Second, are you sure your wiring harness has the wire from the 3.4 harness matched to the correct wire in the 3.0 body harness?
Old 09-11-2007, 01:03 AM

no no teflon tape has been used niether thread lock like called for in the fsm. i may get a new sensor/ generic to see if if its get preasure. i still need to check the thermostat so ill do so tommorow.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:49 AM
Contributing Member

just an fyi. to check the thermostat, place it in water that has been heated to about 80-85 deg C and see if it opens up. also, i think the temp is indicated on the thermostat

operate the engine without the thermostat and see how it goes.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:17 PM

So I checked my thermosat and its good. now I still have no oil pressure. I bought a mechanical gauge to replace the stock one and still no oil pressure. I tested the gauge which works great. I took out the stock sensor and placed the hose in that same spot. Is this right? Im gonna be pissed if I have to pull this motor again and aspecialy if I need to rebuild it again. this kinda sucks
Old 09-11-2007, 05:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your oil pressure sending unit mounts near the oil filter and towards the front of the engine. I was trying to find a PDF file of it, but no luck.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:02 PM

its ok i know where it is. I got some tips from a mechanic and im gonna test it tommorow ill keep you guys informed. thanks
Old 10-03-2007, 03:37 PM

Ok for an update I plumed a mechanicle gauge right before my oil filter in its relocated spot and get pressure. defenetly enough to blow my un clamped lines and shoot oil across a garage lol it was pretty funny and sucked at the same time what a mess. I cleaned it up and clamped the lines and have pressure so thats good. No im having an issue keeping my motor running before it floods out. Very strong smell of gas and after pulling my plugs i come to find a gas coverd plug. So my next step is to find out why my motor is flooding with gas. wish me luck i need my truck running again its been to long
Old 04-08-2008, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by fillsrunner4
Ok for an update I plumed a mechanicle gauge right before my oil filter in its relocated spot and get pressure. defenetly enough to blow my un clamped lines and shoot oil across a garage lol it was pretty funny and sucked at the same time what a mess. I cleaned it up and clamped the lines and have pressure so thats good. No im having an issue keeping my motor running before it floods out. Very strong smell of gas and after pulling my plugs i come to find a gas coverd plug. So my next step is to find out why my motor is flooding with gas. wish me luck i need my truck running again its been to long
check your compression i had dead cylinders and gas on plugs. Hope thats not the problem good luck
Old 04-08-2008, 11:00 AM

also my truck runns a little hotter on the gauge then the 3.slo did plug in an obd2 and check the digital reading i'v been all over arizona with mine and no problems so far...

Quick Reply: 3.4 oil pressure not reading??? Running hot