Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Zaino'd my dad's Sequoia

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zaino'd my dad's Sequoia

Zaino'd my dad's Sequoia and my mom's escape on friday. OMG! that z5 really made the swirls & light sctratches dissapear on the dark blue ford. Thanks to my wifes help we washed, clayed, and got 2 + coats on both of them in a day. They looked amazing, my parents couldn't believe it.

Side note, needed a 6ft ladder to get the sequoia roof, those things are HUGE!
Old 01-10-2005, 06:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tulsa_97SR5
Side note, needed a 6ft ladder to get the sequoia roof, those things are HUGE!
I agree, my dad has a 2004 sequoia and that thing is absolutely hugee...not to mention a gas guzzler. I always think about waxing the sequoia..but i dont have 20 hours to spare!..lol

Matt
Old 01-10-2005, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Localmotion
I agree, my dad has a 2004 sequoia and that thing is absolutely hugee...not to mention a gas guzzler. I always think about waxing the sequoia..but i dont have 20 hours to spare!..lol

Matt
He's actually getting about 18mpg with the v8. I'm pretty impressed by that, only a couple mpg worse than my 4runner with the 2.7l.

I have a feeling the zaino kit I got him will go to waste though, I just can't see him washing & polishing that monster himself.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:48 PM
Banned

He's actually getting about 18mpg with the v8. I'm pretty impressed by that, only a couple mpg worse than my 4runner with the 2.7l.

I have a feeling the zaino kit I got him will go to waste though, I just can't see him washing & polishing that monster himself.
yea i think he gets about the same. i wouldnt even bother getting my dad a zaino kit b/c i know he would never use it, he doesnt really care what it looks like, as long as it runs. btw...how do you polish the gun metal rims, like every other rim?

Matt
Old 01-10-2005, 07:57 PM
Contributing Member

Dude,

Old 01-13-2005, 06:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by humanoid
Dude,

Then it is worthless I guess, virginia is a long way to go & I stupidly forgot to take any while I was there.

On a side note my dad said that one of his clients asked today if he had his sequoia painted because it was so shiny.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:03 PM
Banned

Then it is worthless I guess, virginia is a long way to go & I stupidly forgot to take any while I was there.

On a side note my dad said that one of his clients asked today if he had his sequoia painted because it was so shiny.
hahaha . where in va where you?

Matt
Old 01-13-2005, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

hahaha . where in va where you?

Matt
My parents are outside Charlottesville, at lake monticello. I'm in Oklahoma, spent 25% of our vacation there claying and polishing their rides for them.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:12 PM
Banned

My parents are outside Charlottesville, at lake monticello. I'm in Oklahoma, spent 25% of our vacation there claying and polishing their rides for them.
LOL...thats nice of you im about 1.5 hours from charlottesville.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

yea i think he gets about the same. i wouldnt even bother getting my dad a zaino kit b/c i know he would never use it, he doesnt really care what it looks like, as long as it runs. btw...how do you polish the gun metal rims, like every other rim?

Matt
Forgot to reply to this, my dad is the opposite, doesn't care if it runs, as long as it's new. Hence his bad ford habit. We didn't touch his wheels, we did notice that one was much more discolored than the other 3. On the wifes mini with painted wheels we zaino them & the clean up very easily, the break dust is terrible on them. I was thinking about trying to steal his wheels though, they are really nice.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:55 AM
Contributing Member

next time in Va let someone know if oyu got the time. There is some good wheelin' in and around Charlottesville
Old 01-30-2005, 04:46 PM

I'm from Virginia as well but the Hampton Roads area. Yorktown to be more specific. I've used Zaino as well and that stuff is amazing. If I had a really nice car it's the only thing I'd use.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:17 AM
Contributing Member

Talking

First I have heard of this product, sounds great, pics seem to prove it on top of all the talk here - I have one problem: The Price is Insaino. I went to the website for the product started reading and would spend $100 plus to do it the Zaino way. I cut and pasted the reccomended method below:

FOR BEST RESULTS

+ Evaluate the surface of your vehicle. If swirl marks and other defects are moderate or severe, take time to prepare your surface with an appropriate swirl mark remover.

+ Layer Z-5™ Show Car Polish as necessary to hide minor swirl marks, defects or spider webbing.

+ For maximum gloss, follow Z-5™ Show Car Polish with one or more coats of Z-2™ Show Car Polish. Z-2 will provide an even higher gloss finish than Z-5. Always use Z-6 Gloss Enhancer Spray between each and every coat of Z-5 and Z-2.

+ Maintain with Z-7™ Show Car Wash and Z-6™ Quick Detailer as necessary.

+ It is best to avoid the use of abrasive products as much as possible. However, with deeper swirls and fine scratches, sometimes they are necessary. If you don't see a visible difference after 1 to 3 coats of Z-5, then you need to use 3M Foam Polishing Pad Glaze Swirl Mark Remover #39009.

I would like to buy just one Zaino product to do a 16 year old truck that has the original paint in fantastic shape - Can you guys reccomend one of the Zaino products before I go Insaino?
Old 02-11-2005, 03:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CDUFF7
First I have heard of this product, sounds great, pics seem to prove it on top of all the talk here - I have one problem: The Price is Insaino. I went to the website for the product started reading and would spend $100 plus to do it the Zaino way. I cut and pasted the reccomended method below:

I would like to buy just one Zaino product to do a 16 year old truck that has the original paint in fantastic shape - Can you guys reccomend one of the Zaino products before I go Insaino?
From what I understand, the polymers in his polish don't cure on their ow, or at least not quickly. I would say the absolute minumum would be the ZFX + either Z2 (for cars w/clearcoat) or Z3 (no clearcoat) and their car wash so you don't strip the polish off next time you wash it. Not sure there is anything special about their clay bar, but using it makes a huge diff & gets all sort of stuff out of the paint that you may not see. I'd recommend getting a clay bar from somewhere.

The other thing is, once you get the hang of putting on really light coats of Z2 you will use about 1oz per coat. Depending on how often you polish it, the first order could easily last 2yrs.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:55 AM
Contributing Member

Tulsa, thank you for the info - I was thinking of just buying one bottle of z5 since it is such an old paint job - what do you think? I would seriosly like to try this stuff out.

Chris
Old 02-11-2005, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

Chris, I would suggest heading over to www.customtacos.com and PM "boost_error" (Brett). He's the Zaino guru and would be glad to answer any questions you may have.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

Thank you very much, I think I may just stick with my Eagle One - look in the pics below in my sig - this truck shines almost like new - it's over 16 years old with original paint....
Old 02-11-2005, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CDUFF7
Thank you very much, I think I may just stick with my Eagle One - look in the pics below in my sig - this truck shines almost like new - it's over 16 years old with original paint....
I really recommend the Zaino, but the up front cost is kinda high. They should sell a little 'intro pack' with 2 oz's of the z5 & z2 & car wash for 10 bucks so people can try it & see why it's worth the money. If you try just the z2 without clay bar first you'll probably find that it doesn't last as long, or look as nice. If you use the z2 without the ZFX it may take a long time to cure also, like overnight.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

thanks for all the great info Brian - I may still pick some up....
Old 02-15-2005, 06:16 AM
Contributing Member

Can't go wrong with Zaino at all...
Attached Thumbnails Zaino'd my dad's Sequoia-tund1.jpg   Zaino'd my dad's Sequoia-tund.jpg  

Quick Reply: Zaino'd my dad's Sequoia