Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn signals

Ok since the purchase of my new Rockware bumper, I have no front blinkers. I was looking at turning my side lamps into blinkers if possible. Anyone know of a way to do this? Does it require alot of splicing? Surely it can't be too hard

Also would they still be able to act as running lamps also like they were before if I turned them into a blinker?
Old 07-21-2002, 06:03 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Data, not sure if this will apply to the 3rd gen or not, but I have thought about doing this mod that Chris Geiger did a lon time ago to his 2nd gen he use to have.

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/...nal/index.html

And from 4Crawler AKA, Roger Brown:
http://4crawler.cruiserpages.com/4x4...rnSignal.shtml

http://lighting.mbz.org/tech/how_to/markerflash/

http://www.kersur.net/~btillman/bob/...w/side_marker/

You have a few different methods here.
Old 07-22-2002, 04:15 PM

interesting....thanks!
Old 07-23-2002, 08:42 PM

Wow how easy! I used the directions from the first link there and had no probs at all. Now I'm street legal
Old 08-02-2002, 09:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Turn signals

Originally posted by data
Ok since the purchase of my new Rockware bumper, I have no front blinkers. I was looking at turning my side lamps into blinkers if possible. Anyone know of a way to do this? Does it require alot of splicing? Surely it can't be too hard

Also would they still be able to act as running lamps also like they were before if I turned them into a blinker?

Well, there are complicated ways of doing this and an easy one, easy o ne will use a counter voltage to "cancel" the other out, but you will need to experiment, especially since the side marker is a single element (#158 bulb) try running a wire from the turn signal power to the side marker power source, you may have to add a diode (striped end "cathode" toward the turn bulbs) to keep this from illuminate the rest of the markers etc, if this is done right, the side markers and turn signals will flash at the same time with the running lamps off, then they will alternate with the running lamps on, this is how my first car was wired and it was a 1973 Chevrolet Nova SS (that I stuffed in a +.030 454 into) and stuff was simple then. When you do find the combo, let us know, I can pencil it out on paper and probably come up with the combo.
Old 08-03-2002, 06:23 AM

With the Mod Corey showed you you merely replace the socket in the lens with a tail light socket (about $3).
I have done this on my first gen and spliced it into my existing wiring for the in the bumper turn signals, works no problem.
Old 08-03-2002, 11:51 AM

hey thanks for all the help! I actually got this done about a week ago. LOL! I forgot I had posted something about it. Well I went out and bought new sockets and some bulbs. I had to demel out the holes a little bit, but it wasn't a big deal. I sure had the neighbors lookin out there window, it was so loud! Well then again maybe I shouldn't have started doing it at 11:45 PM! But I got it finished up and they work like a charm!