Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Starter problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Starter problem

Hello there:

I'm suspecting that my starter is goin' out (It takes 3-5 turns/clicks before I can start my vehicle). I've done my research in the forum & that seems very consistant with other member's observations.

My question is --> How can I tell if it is a starter problem vs. a starter CONTACT problem? I've read other posts that this may be a starter contact problem, but I don't know how to systematically diagnose it.

Here are my starter symptoms:

1.) I turn the ignition 3-5x, all clicks, and then the starter turns over.

2.) If I run the car for > 1hr, problem #1 is gone (at least temporaily)

3.) If I let the car site for > 3 hrs, problem #1 reoccurs, and I repeat the process.

Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

Alan
Old 11-20-2003, 12:52 PM

if it clicks then the solenoid is engaging but there's no juice (or not enough) to turn the motor; sounds exactly like contacts to me

dunno how to diagnose on the car, but when you take it off and look at the contacts it should be pretty obvious

Personally, I take advantage of a situation like this to replace the whole part - if the contacts are shot it's likely the solenoid will go at some point. Dunno when, but why get in there twice?
Old 11-20-2003, 01:10 PM

Hyp-Toad.

Thanks for your input. I pretty much came to the same conclusion, but I was really trying to avoid dropping $150+ during the holiday season for a new starter!

I neglected to mention something else (it may or may not be relevant)...

When I bought the car from the previous owner, the car was equipped with a Clifford security system, which has a button that allows me to start the vehicle remotely (ie without the key in ignition, I just press a button). Now...when this starter problem occured, I tried to start the car via that route, and the starter just click...ok...same as if I used a key...

Here's the catch... When the vehicle turns over and starts with this remote, the starter makes this screeching noise, as if I held the key in the "start" position if the key was in the ignition....

That was a flag to me that something may be wrong with the security system? Your opinion?

Thanks again!
Alan
Old 11-24-2003, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EASY FIX

Greetings You might check here http://4crawler.cruiserpages.com/4x4.../Starter.shtml
Roger has an extensive write up and it is easy to follow. Hope this helps
Old 11-24-2003, 12:50 PM

Hey Metalhed - That helped! Thanks for the reply!
A+
Old 11-28-2003, 05:46 PM

Update - I got that heavy piece of used-to-work starter out of my car & in wit a new one. The write ups were great. It took awhile to find all the pieces to remove, but that worked out fine.

The hardest part is really removing the starter from the little space between the suspension & the body and sticking the new starter back through the same spot.

Good job on the write ups!

Peace
Alan