Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Rear window problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear window problem

This afternoon while putting up the rear window i heard a noise and the window stopped going up. I can hear the motor running but the window is now moving. I was able to move the window up by hand. I haven't had the chance to rip into yet but does and have any idea on what it could be. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Howdy. Sounds like you either have a motor with stripped out teeth, or more likely the regulator has fallen off from the glass assembly.

If the regulator has fallen off you'll have to investigate as to why. 9/10 times you'll end up replacing the regulator as it will have bent arms or worn out bushings, etc.

Just a tip for everyone who reads this thread. Clean out the rubber channels that your glass rides in. Take a clean cloth and a mild cleaner (glass cleaner works well) and clean out the rubber. Over the years tons or dirt can build up in these channels and cause glass binding or worse, part failure.

-Wrench
Old 02-13-2005, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by wrenchmonster
Just a tip for everyone who reads this thread. Clean out the rubber channels that your glass rides in. Take a clean cloth and a mild cleaner (glass cleaner works well) and clean out the rubber. Over the years tons or dirt can build up in these channels and cause glass binding or worse, part failure.

-Wrench
Yes follow that tip for the rear window it makes a world of difference in the performace. I have been doing that for a few years now. Each year before it gets to cold out i pull the cover off and oil and lube up the gears and clean and wax the rubber track.

I didnt hear the gears being stripped. It just stopped going up but the motor was still running. I guess i will just tear it apart sometime soon and let everyone know what happened

Last edited by Sludge; 02-13-2005 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:01 PM

i have a similar problem right now, the track that's attached to the bottom of the rear window glass has rotted and allows the regulator to pop off. I don't know if I can buy a new track and mount it to the window or if I'll need a new window. A cool trick to working on the rear glass is to take off the access panel, then it makes it a lot easier to work on the glass if you can move the glass up and down with the tailgate down. In order to do this you have to trick the tailgate into thinking it's closed. Do this by pushing in the latches on each side of the tailgate. They will click twice. Now you can advance the window track into plain view. To close the door, just put the glass back down and open pull the handle to disengage the latches.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:52 AM
jx7

I have the same problem as winterunner. As a result, the window raises fine but doesn't lower without assistance. Anyone know where I can order the piece that attaches to the bottom of the glass? I don't even know what it's officially called.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:34 AM

Lifting Rail

It's called a lifting rail.
The dealership should have it on hand. I will give you the exact part # tonight if needed. It is even pre-greased.
The hard part is reattaching the new rail, it's a very tight fit. I had to bend the rail open a little and wet it down to fit the glass back in.
Weird part is the passenger's side rail was perfect while the driver's side was almost completely rusted away. I think it's because of the current from the defroster connection.
Haynes manual shows the tailgate parts.
Take Care
Old 05-12-2005, 08:54 PM
jx7

Part numbers are 69907-35010 for the right side and -35020 for the left. I got mine through 1sttoyotaparts.com (Bob Bridge Toyota in Renton, WA).
Old 05-13-2005, 07:54 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

I had the same problem with mine. i took off the cover under the carpet on the tailgate and used some silicone spray on the channels and white grease on the regulator where the arms cross. Works good as new. If yours has rusted you may need more than lifting rail. You won't know until you get in to it. I hope you get lucky like I did.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:08 AM

The teeth on my motor were worn. For a temp fix, til I could find a replacement, I pulled the motor and placed a couple of small washers to raise the motor about 2-3mm. This made a new contact point between the motor teath and the regulator gears. Works fine for now but I know this wont last for long.