Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Manual transmission maintenance difficulty

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual transmission maintenance difficulty

Hi guys, first post although I have been visiting for some time now. What had orginally started as a fine fluid-changing weekend has ended on a down-turn. I do not have a factory manual, but I should have one by the end of this week. <ggrr> Changed the gear oil in the front and rear diffs just fine. Haynes manual says that the transfer case should take 3.4 qts of GL-4 or GL-5 gear oil. I drained and filled base on where the picture seemed to indicate and I only got 1.5 qts out and back in. This is issue #1. Issue #2 is that I must not know where the fill plug is on the 5-spd tranny. The Haynes manual is sketchy at best on location for the drain plug. I used a 15/16" box wrench to remove both drain and fill plugs. Upon filling I can only get a little over 3 qts back in before it overflows. The Haynes manual says it should take 4.5 qts. I did get 4.5 out when I drained it so I believe their tranny capacity number. Can someone corroborate these numbers, or perhaps enlighten me on the true location of the fill plug for the tranny? I see some articles on the net that refer to the fill plug as being an Allen-key styled hex bolt. I do see this type of bolt, but it appears never to have been cracked open before and the other "supposed" fill plug had obviously been turned before.

To top this all off, I thought Mobil-1 75W90 in the t-case and tranny was a good idea, but now I notice that others are saying that it does not have all the right additives for the synchros. GREAT! I just ate $45 worth of Mobil-1. Ending on a down-turn indeed...

BTW, my truck is '94 Pickup with the 3VZ-E V6 and the 5-spd. I have a great story to share with y'all about this truck and I had hoped that it would be the first post, but I need to get her rolling again before I get into that one. Any advise would be much appreciated.

Kozinski
Old 11-19-2002, 02:08 AM
Contributing Member

Koz wanted to welcome you to the Forum. I've got a better manual at home and will look and see what it says for the tranny. I hope it works out for you. I am getting ready to swap over to Snythetics in my drivetrain here soon and hope I don't run into the same problem. I am curious to hear about your story in your truck! Post it over on the main section!
Old 11-19-2002, 05:38 PM

Thanks for the welcome. It turns out that I had to call the dealership on Monday morning and I found that they could only tell me an approximate capacity in the t-case. They said the t-case should take about 2 quarts and the 5 spd should take 4.1 qts. The actual amounts that I was able to get in were less than that. I got 1.5 qts in the t-case and 3.5 qts in the tranny. I also confirmed that the proper location of the fill plug for the tranny is on the driver side and that the stock plug is a 15/16" bolt. My best guess is that there was a small amount (maybe 1/2 qt) of residual oil left even though I let it drain over night.

Although I initially intended on using Mobil-1 in each, I have gone to Redline MT-90 instead. This decision was made based on some threads on the forum where actual Mobil verbiage was found that states they do not recommend the 75W90 full synthetic be used for any device that uses synchros. (i.e. transmissions)

Being unable to part with 5 qts of almost clean Mobil-1. I cleaned my drain tub very throughly (even used brake cleaner) and made sure that the tub was spotless. Then I drained the Mobil-1 out of the tranny and t-case (never having driven it) and into the clean tub. I then put the oil into clear see-through 3 liter bottles. I can see a smallest amount of particulate at the bottom of the bottle. I will use the Mobil-1 in the front and rear diffs for the next diff draining making sure not to pour it out completely so that the bits of junk don't go with it.

When you get around to changing out your tranny and t-case I would be interested in knowing how much you get out and back in. Also, I will post my truck story on the main page.
Old 11-20-2002, 05:44 PM

I used Amsoil 75w-90, and I forgot how much I put in, so this won't help you much. But I know I got the correct fill holes, and just pumped in oil until it flowed out the hole. I've ran over 20k with the same oil in the tranny and t-case, no problems......