Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Faded Paint on 91 Toy

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Faded Paint on 91 Toy

Okay- I tried to search this and came up with 20 pages of not what I was looking for. My grey/silver/dirty water color paint on my 91 Toy is peeling the clear coat off and looks real bad. I am buying ahouse and can't afford a quickie paint job just yet but also do not want to ugly op the neighboorhood with my truck. I know this was a common problem then and wonder if anyone had any solutions. I don't mind burning up some time and elbow grease.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 93 is silver also. It has the original paint, and is in near perfect shape, except for the roof. It looks TERRIBLE. Don't know why just the roof raded though. I've tried waxing, but nothing helps. I don't worry about it, since you can't really see it. I don't know what to tell ya. If the clear coat is already peeling, then it's not something you're just gonna buff out.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:38 PM

grab some 1500 grit sand paper and water sand down the areas where the clear i peeling, the edge of the peel i mean, until it is smooth with the peeled areas... this will take some work. then grab some 2000 grit sand paper and water sand (or color sand) the majority of the paint, of course taking your own discretion as to how much to sand, if you see alot of white in the water then sand less, just enough to create a dull surface. then go to a auto paint supply store and purchase some 3M rubbing compound, its gonna come in a black bottle. if you can afford it i would suggest getting a hitatchi rotary sander, they are about a hundred bucks, if not a thirty dollar one at kragen or autozone will do the trick. use the rubbing compund with the rotary sander using a cloth pad. i recommend doing 2 by 2 foot areas at a time and not setting the buffing machine any faster than 1500 rpm (if you buy the thirty dollar buffing machine this does not apply as that one doesnt have settings) buff until you see it shine descently then move on. when you are finished with the entire car, purchase some 3M hand glaze, comes in a clear bottle and the paste is a peach color. read the instructions and apply on the entire car. this is a sealer and will help protect the rubbing compound and paint. this wont make your car look like it just got repainted but it will make look alot better.
3M rubbing compound= $17
3M hand glaze= $22
1500 grit sand paper=$0.60 a sheet, prob need about ten
2000 grit sand paper=$0.80 a sheet prob need about fifteen of these
and then the rotary buffer or sander= $30-$120
estimated tim for your whole vehicle about 20 hours so do it on a weekend
Good luck and i hope this helps solve your problem
Old 06-07-2005, 10:40 PM

oh and btw get a color sanding pad for the color sanding (it will make life alot easier) and also sand in a back and forth motion, NOT IN CIRCLES that will just create a huge swril mark problem. good luck again