Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Do-It-Yourself Bedliners

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fair enough. So I made a "hasty generalization" from my own experience & from what others had told me from other areas of the country that I've met at truck shows. Seems fair from my point of view. I spray this stuff on the side, mostly for friends, friends of friends & so on...no unhappy customers yet & I've been doing it for 5 yrs. just to make a little extra cash to build my own trucks or to trade work that I can't do myself. I'd think if anyone would be brutally honest, it would be friends. I'm NOT bashing to increase buisness - I'm busy enough with my "day job"!!

Besides, don't take my word for it...every product has pro/cons....just do a google search on Rhino Liner problems - 31,000 hits...Hmmm.
Oops -there I go bashing again.

As for plastic, all we do is spray it with Speedliner's primer first - it acts like an etch. I'll see if I can dig up pics of the finished product, sorry no links, I'm not running a website for Speedliner.....the end result can speak for itself...

I'll be back tomorrow - getting late here.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:48 PM

well i've personally done my two trucks in herculiner and for the price i'm not disappointed one bit. I haven't had a bit of it flake off in either truck, but the stuff does fade. It's just a bit quicker than a rhinoliner or line-x, but it's no different than any other liner after a few years anyways. I've learned the key to using this stuff is the prep work. I sanded (not just scuffed) the entire bed with 40 grit on a DA for a good hour before doing anything else, then cleaned it really well and then laid out the liner. The bed of my Yota gets serious use, and I'm in no way gentle on the liner. Never had a scratch or chip in it in the 2 years or so since we did it.

jmho
Old 04-01-2005, 03:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fnrunner
As for plastic, all we do is spray it with Speedliner's primer first - it acts like an etch. I'll see if I can dig up pics of the finished product, sorry no links, I'm not running a website for Speedliner.....the end result can speak for itself...

I'll be back tomorrow - getting late here.
That's what I'm talking about! I look forward to reading more about it. I apologize for coming off a bit harsh. After all, I really don't care how well Rhino does since I have no ties with them anymore. I am also not going to prolong our "disagreement" so to speak. So, let's move on and like I said before, I am intrigued by the spraying of plastic, so please do post some pics and more information.

Thanks man.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:13 PM

Here are the pics as promised.

Now before ya start hammering me again -the finish quality isn't as good as it should be, I did 2 trucks (bedliners & rockers all around) before spraying his plastic & didn't realize that the gun was getting gunked up even though we were cleaning it thoroughly between trucks. Anyway I know it kinda looks "chunky" or cottage cheeze like & NO they don't all turn out like this. I ended up doing it for free I felt so bad...but anyway this is a link to his album too if you'd like to see more pics. BTW- this is after 2 GNCC races.

We're possibly looking to do more of these through his shop BARE PERFORMANCE
- so if you or someone you know is interested inquire through them.

Old 04-04-2005, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interestingly enough...

I find it funny this debate between Rhino/Line-X/Speedliner proponents. For instance one of the rationals I've heard from some guys who have installed them and swear by them, is that they've "scraped xxx other brand out numerous times to spray in their xxx superior liner." I have heard stories from both camps about this. I have heard guys who install Rhino liner talk about having to scrape out Line-X, and I have heard from guys who install Line-X about having to scrape out Rhino. So there must be some truth somewhere, but I wonder if one is really superior to the other or someone just ends up getting a crappy job done?

Either way I'm getting an over the rail spray in bed liner this coming Saturday and I'm really looking forward to seeing the results. Not that I prefer one camp over the other, I've heard the horror stories about all them, but it'll be a Line-X.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:36 AM
Contributing Member

All I wanted to contribute is the fact that I have Rhino lining in the back of my Tacoma. It's been there for about 3 years and I have done nothing for upkeep. I've spilled oil in it, an entire bottle of Armor-all, tried waxing part of it once, spilled gasoline, dragged all sorts of furniture (wood and metal) across it, try to cut through a portion with a razor, etc. It's held up like a champ through all that crap. It is no longer blackest of black and more of a darker gray but I personally don't care what the liner looks like - I mean it's there to take punishment, right?

I paid a little under $400 and I can say that it is one of the BEST investments I ever made on my truck.

I'm sure Line-X and Herculiner would perform just as well under the same conditions.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fnrunner
And if you guys still insist on doing it yourself w/ Herculiner or Duplicolor (hey I understand $$ can be tight sometimes) use MEK or Methal Ethel Ketone to clean the surface instead of lacquer thinner...it works much, much better....
You guys still use MEK !!!!!

That stuff has been banned over here for years, highly toxic, gets into your system very quickly and not just by inhaling, I remember reading one report which stated it could be detected on your breath within something like a few seconds of it making contact with the skin on your hand.

Dangerous stuff!!
Old 04-05-2005, 02:12 AM
Contributing Member

This is what the EPA says about it:
http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/hlthef/methylet.html

Doesn't look like it's banned in the U.S.
Good post though Morr!
It's pretty easy to get lazy and not do any homework on the chemicals you're about to use.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:18 AM

Morr - MEK is nasty & I really should have added some safety warnings along w/ my suggestion to those diy-er's out there. Get the best rubber gloves you can - thicker the better. Nitrile gloves will only hold up to this stuff so long. & when you've got a rag soaked in MEK it won't take but a few minutes till the glove softens. You'll also want to wear a respirator or at the very least clean the bed/interior in a well ventalated area.
**I never heard of it being banned anywhere. It's still available in hardware stores everywhere around here. Thanks for the info!**

& as for brand A bashing brand B & so on, it happens in anything I guess. The more I think about it, I'm sure each brand has great product...it all boils down to 1st: What you as a consumer what & need & how it's going to be used. 2nd: How the liner is installed. **Look at previous jobs the installer has done** 3rd: As in most cases, you sometimes get what you pay for....