Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Changing Timing Belt on 93 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing Timing Belt on 93 4Runner

I am having major problem's taking the driveshaft pully off in the front. The Bolt is on so tight I have broken two tools and bent two braker bars. Anyone have idea's on how to get this stupid bolt off.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:51 PM
Contributing Member

There's been a few threads about this problem, but this one seems to work for some people. Position the breaker bar so it rests against a frame rail while on the bolt, then tap the starter key to break it loose. Personally, I've never tried it. My IR impact gun always worked.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that nut is torqued down to right at 181 ftlbs of torque!

Get a BIG haulking strap wrench to hold the pully still and use some REALLY BEEFY ratchet 1/2" or larger with a steel breaker bar

Or you can use SST # 09213-58011 and 09330-00021 to pull it.

if you dont mind sacrificing an old v belt you can just use a chain wrench over top of the v belt to hold the pully still....

I wouldn't do the starter deal, i can see something that's actually expensive breaking doing that....

Also pull the PS pulley from the rest of the crank pullys first.

I've never done my timing belt, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night! (Gotta luv the Toyota Factory Service Manuals!)
Old 10-24-2004, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

Hey! Welcome to the forum!

That bolt is a major pain to take off. I broke a ratchet and a couple of sockets trying to get it off. I've heard of the breaker bar against frame rail method too, but I've never tried it (I didn't want to risk ruining my starter or flywheel). I've also heard that you can jamb a screwdriver into the flywheel and jamb it stuck. I tried that, but it didn't seem to work.

So, what I ended up doing was I built my own tool. I think it is similar to the SSR tool. I got a piece of steel (3'x4"x1/8" I think) and drilled a big hole in the middle of one end. The end with the big hole (like 2-1/2") was placed over the crank pulley and then 3 more hole were drilled around the big hole. Use the bolts that normally hold the PS pulley to the crank and screw your piece of steel into the crank pulley using the holes for the PS pulley. Next, just get your ratchet and socket and place your socket through the big hole in your piece of steel over the crank bolt. Use the other end of the piece of steel as a handle to keep the crank from turning as you turn the crank bolt with your socket. It may take 2 people or you can actually rest the one end of the steel under the frame (steel may have to be shortened though). Anyways, it worked great for me, but it still takes a bit of muscle to break the bolt loose. As mentioned, It's put on with 181 ftlbs torque, so you will have to exert at least that much (probably more) to break it loose.

Anyhow, that's my $.02
Have fun.
Daniel