Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

3VZE Water Pump - Need Help w/Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPDATE:

Well, I've decided that it is very doable to eliminate the two extra idler pulleys that mount behind the cooling fan. I'll be gathering up shorter power steering and alternator belts and making the necessary modifications to fit them. My timing belt finally showed up, now if I can just get my electric fan here.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member

Hey,
Did you get the crank bolt out? It's a real bugger. I built a little tool to get my bolt out. Just get a 4"x 1/8" x about 3' piece of steal. Use your power steering pulley as a template and drill 4 screw holes (where it screws into your crank pulley) into the end of your piece of steal. Then drill a big hole (like 2"1/4 or something) in the center of these 4 holes. Then screw your piece of steal into the crank pulley where the power steering pulley usually goes. Let the rest of the piece of steal to either rest under the frame rail or you can have it coming up and use it as a handle to keep your crank from turning. You can use a socket to get to the crank bolt through the big hole you just drilled. By doing this, you don't have to worry about breaking any teeth on your flywheel. It worked great for me!

After you get your timing belt back on, rotate the crank 2 times as mentioned in the previous posts. Check you timing marks again. It took me about 10 tries to get mine right. Might be a good idea to check your ignition timing when your all done too.

Anyhow, sorry for going so long.
Have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 02-23-2004, 08:13 PM

DH6twinotter,

Thank you for the comments. Yes, I did get the pulley off. I socket and a breaker bar along with cranking the engine over did the trick. I'm waiting on my fan right now, I have the timing belt but haven't put it on. I'm dragging my feet again. I've recently had death in family over the weekend so it might be a while yet.

Thanks again,
Andrew

P.S. Great Idea on the tool! I'll probably go that route next time and for future maintainance. Thanks!
Old 02-24-2004, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

Glad to see you got the crank bolt off using the starter method, scary, but it works. I didn't know the timing belt turned the water pump, as I haven't changed my timing belt on this yet (at least another 47K before 60K on the belt). The lower bracket came with the alternator when I bought it. Like this link says, he bought another factory bracket, and had it welded to extend the length of it. The bracket felt very sturdy to me, and it's been working great since I installed it.

That is a good idea on the tool (it'd make it easier to properly torque the bolt back on). BTW, where's the pic?

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/100alt/index.html
Old 02-24-2004, 09:52 PM

Yea, that's the article I was looking at on the alternator. I've finally found a place to host my pics, but now i'm buried with work. Might not be until Monday, sorry. I thought I'd better post back so you didn't think I was being rude or ignoring you. I'm leaving town for the weekend, but I'll get those pics up Monday or so.

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 03-08-2004, 01:47 PM

Sorry for the lag time, here are some pictures that will hopefully explain what I’m doing a little better. If all goes well I should get everything done over the next up-coming weekend.

Okay, Here is a pic of the damage. The bearings in the fan bracket went making the cooling fan and associated idler pulleys useless:

Here is a pic with all the belts/brackets removed. The offending stud that may contact the alternator pulley is colored with white chalk. This will be removed as it won’t be needed to support the fan bracket (there are three other bolts, and the fan bracket doesn’t have to support the weight of the fan):

Here is the new belt arrangement minus the fan and additional idler pulleys:

The nose of the fan bracket will be cut down about 0.5” in order to provide more clearance for the power steering belt.

Last edited by Faded; 03-08-2004 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-01-2004, 04:18 PM
jns

Faded,
Did you ever complete your fan pulley bypass?I just had my fan pulley go to hell.$850 was the estimate.What belts did you use for the alt. and p/s?Thanks for the info.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by jns
Faded,
Did you ever complete your fan pulley bypass?I just had my fan pulley go to hell.$850 was the estimate.What belts did you use for the alt. and p/s?Thanks for the info.
came across this in a search......
I did this and started a writeup, but alas......
anyway here are the belts I used, minor work to clear belts new "path".

-Napa 25-9463 – Replacement Power Steering belt (V)
-Napa 25-040410 – Replacement Alternator belt (Ribbed)

Toy4x
Old 08-02-2004, 10:46 PM
jns

Thanks for the info.I just finished chopping off the bearing plate last month so the p/s belt would clear.Everything's working good so far.I have the taurus fan on low speed and it cools great in 100+ temps outside.Good luck on your truck.