Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

Warn front bumper on 2nd gen vs. SAS

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warn front bumper on 2nd gen vs. SAS

So...the warn front bumper has two bolts and a plate that mount exactly where the SAS front spring perch gets welded to........

any ideas? Weld an equivalent plate to the frame and then the perch onto that, allowing the front bumper to slip out under it? hmm.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can hang the axle, the bumper is no worries. Same tools, welder, grinder, plasma.

If you want to see pics of how to do it clean, that requires searching.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:56 AM
Contributing Member

I don't think you understand though Adrian.....the bumper bolts right to the portion where the front shackles mount and get welded to, making it not possible for the bumper to be bolted to the underside of the frame.......which is why I'm thinking weld a 3/8" steel plate to the middle part of the front frame in order to equal out what the spring mount will weld to and still make it so I can unbolt the bumper and slide it out of place should the need arise.....

i'll get a pic later to show ya.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by chimmike
I don't think you understand though Adrian.....the bumper bolts right to the portion where the front shackles mount and get welded to, making it not possible for the bumper to be bolted to the underside of the frame.......which is why I'm thinking weld a 3/8" steel plate to the middle part of the front frame in order to equal out what the spring mount will weld to and still make it so I can unbolt the bumper and slide it out of place should the need arise.....

i'll get a pic later to show ya.
Adrian understands just fine... He's a smart guy. You just missed his point; use that same plasma, grinder and welder that you used to do the SAS to modify the bumper mounting position....
Old 03-23-2007, 05:47 AM
Contributing Member

don't think i'm gonna be fortunate enough to use a plasma cutter....it's gonna be sawzall fun.....heh.

So the welding a plate to level off doesn't sound good?
Old 03-23-2007, 06:01 AM
Contributing Member

here's the deal...I want to keep the removability of the bumper without having to weld it permanently in place.....but I also don't want to have to severely mangle the thing to do that, in case I want to sell it in the future.
Attached Thumbnails Warn front bumper on 2nd gen vs. SAS-bumpermount.jpg  
Old 03-23-2007, 07:18 AM

I understand fine.

I am saying, more subltely this time, if you can cut off the IFS and weld on a hanger, you most be a reasonably competent manipulator of metal.

My ARB used to hang in the same place. I thought about modifying versus starting from scratch and chose to start from scratch.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:47 AM
Contributing Member

if you want to sell it later, you may find more poeple with a SAS thatn without and by modifying the bumper, you will have a better chance of selling it. Assuming you do a good job.

I modifiued an ARB from a Nissan to fit my runner and then sold it to someone that needed it for their toyota pick up. : )
Old 03-23-2007, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

hmm. Guess I'll have to get the spring perch all welded on and then go from there. Maybe weld on another side support and bolt it further back on the frame or something.

I'm just trying to keep the required fabrication down to a minimum, know what I mean?

I don't have my hands on a MIG welder yet and that sort of thing...(i'm going to have the perch welded professionally anyways at this point, but for the other stuff) so we'll see. Gonna have to consider a plasma cutter though. Or at least an oxy torch.\

btw....I didn't mean to sound like an arsehat, sry!