Starting the SAS...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice truck man!
Old 08-02-2009, 10:44 AM

So here is the latest progress with this project, although its been slow, I just finished moving into my new house so now there is internet and time available. Pics of whats done now, enjoy

Old 08-02-2009, 12:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got any more pics of how the rear links tie into the frame?

Also why did you choose that location for the rear shocks? I guess you aren't concerned about them hitting anything?
Old 08-02-2009, 08:55 PM

Just curious, what kind of spring rate do those coilovers have?

I'm a total noob to SAS just looking around at stuff. This is quite a project.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by shaw_j
Got any more pics of how the rear links tie into the frame?

Also why did you choose that location for the rear shocks? I guess you aren't concerned about them hitting anything?
I still have to gusset the upper rear link mounts to the frame as well as fab a skid for the lower link mounts. I will get some pics when I can.

The shocks are close, but that is where I needed them to be for the foot long travel remote reservoirs to stretch their legs....I doubt anything will hit them, but we'll see.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jadri
Just curious, what kind of spring rate do those coilovers have?

I'm a total noob to SAS just looking around at stuff. This is quite a project.
I went with 300 lbs/in for the main spring and 200 lbs/in for the tender coils. The tender coil eats up a lot of the weight, because I went with a 75% droop on 12" travel shocks. 3" up and 9" down for travel at ride height, which is only about 2.5-3" above stock w/ 33's.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by agusgus3
The shocks are close, but that is where I needed them to be for the foot long travel remote reservoirs to stretch their legs....I doubt anything will hit them, but we'll see.
I know a lot of people don't like to cut their floor, but you CLEARLY have the fab skills...
Old 08-03-2009, 06:10 AM

Thumbs up 92 s.a.s

looks really good man keep up the good work
Old 08-04-2009, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by shaw_j
I know a lot of people don't like to cut their floor, but you CLEARLY have the fab skills...
Thanks, i appreciate that and your right I def don't want to cut into the cab until later when I feel its time to truggy this thing w/ a flat bed.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:41 PM

SO I know its been way too long, but I finished the gas tank, the fuel pump, the proportioning valve, and the front rotor issue....

Didn't know you can't use the IFS hubs and use the FJ60 rotors...I'm wetoddid...

Anyhow, tried to start the truck last night, and it sputtered a few times and now my plugs are completely soaked again.... I need to figure out this ridiculous overly rich issue. Either way this truck is very close to being driven, just finishing up the last stuffs, which brings me to more pictures, shortly.

CHeers
Old 10-26-2009, 01:48 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
LOOKS REALLY REALLY GOOD MAN!!
keep up the good work!
and more pictures!
Old 10-28-2009, 10:10 PM

Finally got that thing running today, it was tedious but worth it when she fired up and roared nicely... I'm going to finish bleeding the brakes tomorrow and work on the front bumpstops, before I get some flex shots...
Old 10-29-2009, 04:16 PM

So no flex shots today. Got everything torqued, re-bled the brakes and the clutch is giving me the same issue of just not enough travel that it will drag and not go into gear.

Getting closer.... Hopefully tomorrow I can finish the front bumper, box in the rear frame-side UCA brackets and epoxy my mirror back on.
enough ranting...
Old 11-22-2009, 03:58 PM

Made some progress this last week...

But as has been the norm with this build, I make some progress and take a few steps backward at the same time...Here's some pics of the trans coming out to switch the throw out bearing.

Here you can see the difference between the 5VZ T.O. bearing installed, and the 3VZ T.O. bearing next to it. I thought that this swap to the deeper bearing would take up the extra depth i need to make sure the clutch slave is not throwing all its travel and not fully disengaging the pressure plate....hence no shifty/dragging clutch.

So I didn't take any photos of the pressure plate bolt that I sheered off in the flywheel, because it made me very mad....So much for progress, I will post again when I get my coilover back from FOA with a repaired reservoir line, that doesn't leak and when I finish up painting and finish welding the rear end...
Old 11-24-2009, 06:39 PM

Nice build man, it looks like a jungle gym under there with all those links going everywhere haha. Those things aren't susceptible to rocks?
Old 11-30-2009, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by yota_mota
Nice build man, it looks like a jungle gym under there with all those links going everywhere haha. Those things aren't susceptible to rocks?
Thanks, its taken awhile with all the setbacks and me completely underestimating the depth of the project and the little things, like diff oil, POR-15 paint for the underside, etc.

Here's some more pics of the rear which has been painted and remounted under the truck, just need to paint the links and put the RR shocks back in. Then finish the flywheel and Throw out bearing problem.
BTW, the brake lines were re-routed due to the axle/drum assembly being rotated clockwise 90' which I noticed after I had just finished trimming and re-flaring the lines.... the lines are secure, over and out

Last edited by agusgus3; 11-30-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:25 PM

Made a little bit of progress today. I now know that I have to buy a new flywheel and did find one at a local wrecking yard. the better part of the day was machining down the yoke on the front driveshaft and teaching the girly how to secure the work piece and working the mill. Turned out well for her first time milling. Heres the proof...

Old 12-13-2009, 04:15 PM

Heres how she stands today all back together with the brakes and clutch bled. Got to drive it for a little bit until it started sputtering. Hopefully get it all done tomorrow...

Old 12-16-2009, 02:09 PM

Wow man nice build..great looking 4Runner..Hows it doing now? running good?
Old 12-17-2009, 11:32 AM

Thank you much. Not running so good now, still running fairly rich, but not nearly as bad as before, i re-pinned the maf sensor and got a Vapor pressure sensor. I'm chasing down a gremlin, which is most likely in the wiring harness, but I will figure it out soon. Here are some pics from the presentation this morning...sneak peek at the beginnings of the bumper.

Quick Reply: Starting the SAS...