Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

question on sas need help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question on sas need help please

About to start a sas on a 92 truck. I was wondering, i want to keep the front tires in the center of the fenderwell. I dont like the look of the front tires under the front bumper, i dont care about approach angles or tires rubbing.

My question is, can i weld the front hanger back from flush alittle to acheive this center look? I know that will put my shackles farther back in the body mount, but thats fine. I know all this needs to be test fitted for shackle angle and everything. Also i understand the weight of the motor and the springs i use also are a factor, Im just tring to get everything in line so when it comes time to cut and weld there is no hesitation or questions. So thats why im asking these (probably stupid to you guys) questions.

I plan on using the marlin crawler sas kit with the 5 inch springs. Thanks alot.

Last edited by bigyota36; 08-11-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The axle sits forward a bit to allow it to travel back to the center as the spring compresses. It also keeps the tire from hitting the firewall. Marlin's springs as well as most other springs included in SAS kits are designed to move the axle forward. It you mount the front hanger back it will cause you to have an incorrect shackle angle and ultimately will limit downward spring travel. You may want to look into a stock length lift spring for a 79-85 truck. I have a brand new set of these from National Spring but they are 7" lift springs. PM me if you have any interest.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:30 AM

im glad you posted this. I actually am looking for stock length springs, but i wasnt sure if i could use springs like superlift or skyjacker or any others with the marlin spring hanger kit. Ive been getting some specs on spring width and the width of marlins front hanger where the spring mounts and superlift springs should fit. The only thing i am worried about is the length. The superlift 7inch springs are 42 inches from center of bushing to center of bushing. I want to somehow make sure that they will be long enough to still be able to mount the shackles in the body mount. Im sure i will have to move the hanger back a little but i dont want to have to move it more than 3/4 of an inch becuase of the welding area being reduced.

They only real way to know if they will work is to test fit them, but ill have to buy them first and if they dont work ill have a set of useless springs on my hands.

Now i know all of you are going to say superlift or skyjacker is crap and dont flex. I dont climb rocks, i dont need a very flexible spring. Thats the reason i dont want the axle moved foward for approach angles. Not only does it look ignorant(my opinion no offense) i have no use for it because i dont rock climb. Thanks for the reply.

And yea what would you want for the springs. Im not to familiar with that brand, ill do some reading about them.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:46 AM

Toyminator is exactly right. If you try to center the tire while it is at ride height you will have problems upon compression. IFS and Leaf springs have very different wheel travel patterns. There are a lot of factors that determine how much you axle is going to move, i.e. leafs, shackle size, etc.