Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

91' Pickup Low SAS

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if this thread goes like im hoping it will be awesome... might steal some ideas. i want the least amount of lift with 37s stuffed in. good luck!
Old 01-16-2014, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In for progress. Looks good so far
Old 01-19-2014, 08:48 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
More pics, more anything........
Old 02-11-2014, 12:38 PM

Nice Rig!!
Old 02-11-2014, 05:51 PM

RUF pics!!
Old 02-18-2014, 02:59 PM

Always takes a little more effort to keep it low. Really makes you think about how your going to put it all together and have it all clear just right. Post more pics!
Old 02-24-2014, 09:00 PM

Low SAS - I'm in the same spot...

SUBSCRIBED! I’m currently in almost the same spot and I would love to see how you pull this off.
Last winter I picked up a fairly abused 87’ 4Runner SR5/5 Speed on Craigslist for a few hundred bucks. I figured that this rig, with some love, could be made into a good all around Midwestern trail rider and could hold its own on the highway. I dragged it home (not running) and parked it my garage.
I’ve built a few rigs over the years and I know how to weld (but not necessarily fabricate stuff) .The plan was as follows:
    I want 33s and to try to keep the center of gravity low for various reasons…including the need to fit this to fit in my garage when I’m done. I chose to do the SAS for simple durability, suspension flex to compensate for smallish 33s, the wrecking yard near me had an axle from an 84’ for cheap, and every piece, from ball joints to tie rod ends on the IFS front suspension is shot.

Anyway, I started amassing the parts. I had the TG 3” spring kit sitting in the garage, a good set of Chevy springs, and complete blazer donor with a 4.3….and then wheels came off the project when my house sustained (largely uninsured) heavy hail damage and my furnace and AC died (no more fun cash in 2013).
    Since I have less cash (and will for while) I ditched the Blazer donor and over the last few months I sorted out all sorts of issues with the 22re and now it runs great. The 22re is a keeper for now and I’m going to install some 4.88s to match 33s.

I’m now getting ready to install the TG kit. Over the last 12 months I’ve seen more and more pictures/complaints about the TG kit sitting really high in the front and shackle/spring angle cause the pinion angle to be way off. I suspect that the ride height issue will be even worse with the HD springs and the 22re rather than the v6. I’m afraid this is going to look silly. The look/size I want is the level appearance of an 84/85 with a 3” lift and I didn’t realize the SAS kits were so high in the front.
    My plan is to remove a leaf or two from the TG springs and shorten the front 5” shackle. If it looks/rides like crap I’ll have a spring shop make me front some soft leaf springs with a lower ride height.

I’ll post some pics when I get to it in March/April.

If you order springs could you post the specs on them and how they worked out?

Last edited by 87Slowrunner; 02-24-2014 at 09:06 PM.
    Old 02-25-2014, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by julsruls
    White knuckles. Interesting choice. I remember seeing a beige truck with flat bad that did a sas real low on 33s. Looked great.
    Check out toyospearo's build. (If you have a couple hours to spare gaping in envy at the screen)
    Old 03-29-2014, 06:37 PM

updates??!

I never really thought about lifting but still keeping it low.
    I guess ill wait to see how this turns out
    Old 04-04-2014, 06:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
    I like the white knuckles. Very cheap price on the Diff.
    Old 04-16-2014, 02:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
    Sub'd

Working on getting a low slung sas under my 4runner right now as well. I have decided to go with the SKY kit with 2.5" springs...
    Old 05-07-2014, 03:54 PM

Works been picking back up so I've been putting in 60+ hour work weeks so I've been trying to really get started since it's starting to warm up around here. Since the truck is my DD; I decided to just burn the hanger in and cut the shackle holes before tearing everything apart. I plan on using stock shackles, may have to adjust depending on where everything lines up for a better angle. Even if I have to adjust my hanger again; I still feel like I'm getting somewhere to get started.. haha.. Put my RUF together as well using 4 leaves from the toyota rears and one more leaf from a front spring setup. I have plenty of spare leaves if I need to adjust.. Planning on taking next weekend off or the one after that and get this project going!!

91' Pickup Low SAS-55iiqcs.jpg

91' Pickup Low SAS-xewgpot.jpg

91' Pickup Low SAS-eis5wje.jpg

91' Pickup Low SAS-bjrw80r.jpg

Last edited by A2theK; 05-07-2014 at 03:55 PM.
    Old 05-07-2014, 04:54 PM

Hey man were you driving on Broadway towards Bronco Stadium yesterday around 3:30? I was biking and saw a truck that looked like yours! I almost fell because I was checking out and your truck and not watching where I was going!
    Old 05-07-2014, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by StewsRunner
    Hey man were you driving on Broadway towards Bronco Stadium yesterday around 3:30? I was biking and saw a truck that looked like yours! I almost fell because I was checking out and your truck and not watching where I was going!
    Hahaha small world, that was me!
    Old 05-07-2014, 05:15 PM

Duuuuude, your truck is absolutely sweet! I go to BSU and I haven't seen to many "rigs" up here. Lots of early FJs though, that I like. Good luck with your swap, i'll be following it
    Old 05-07-2014, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by StewsRunner
    Duuuuude, your truck is absolutely sweet! I go to BSU and I haven't seen to many "rigs" up here. Lots of early FJs though, that I like. Good luck with your swap, i'll be following it
    Thanks alot man! I'll be going next year, just finished up 2 years at CWI.. Yeah they're not too common I feel like. I've seen a couple of SAS rigs driving around I've talked to but you're right.. Surprising with all these great 4x4 spots around! I've always been on the look out for a cheap old FJ! One of my favorite older rigs. Yeeeah can't wait to get it started!
    Old 05-10-2014, 02:45 AM

I was planning to do a low SAS on my 95 4runner (got something else instead) but it seemed like the biggest obstacle to getting it low AND retain some uptravel was the steering. I was going to look at doing it SUA, and for steering, running the draglink directly to the tie rod. High steer and low lift means you run into frame clearance issues. There's a good thread over on pirate called "sprung under runner" (IIRC) where the guy did run a semi-high steer (ran the drag link to the bottom of the steering arm) but still had to notch the frame.

Anyway, good luck with your build.
    Old 05-22-2014, 07:41 PM

And... we're off! Took the next 5 days off work to get this project going. Took time this morning to get misc stuff, brake fluid, cut off wheels, etc.. So far so good, got the front end all removed and started cutting off all the brackets. My cut off wheel ended up breaking as I was cutting off the first side so I had to run to the store to grab another! And that's basically where I ended up tonight. Hopefully I'll get the rest cut off and grinded down tomorrow and get the axle at least hung..

91' Pickup Low SAS-8objtox.jpg

91' Pickup Low SAS-zk56lh0.jpg

91' Pickup Low SAS-pcvcbz8.jpg

91' Pickup Low SAS-upinoxl.jpg

91' Pickup Low SAS-smvlpus.jpg
    Old 05-23-2014, 04:00 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
    Brings back memories it does.
    Name:  2013-07-12124658_zpsa35dd61a.jpg
Views: 1727
Size:  48.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_2038_zpsbaf14a8a.jpg
Views: 1814
Size:  77.3 KB
    Old 05-23-2014, 06:29 PM

What were you studying at cwi!? I just graduated there too at the micron center in nampa for welding!

Quick Reply: 91' Pickup Low SAS