Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Meeting at the Ranger's Station

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rob, I like you're new tag line!!!!

Whayya doin' next Saturday. We've got a run to Evan's Creek planned. We've not had a chance to really do a trail run together since the Greenwater trip we went on wasn't much of a wheelin' trip, although it was still a blast. Of course, my catalytic converter plugging up on the way there didn't help. Did I tell you that they found a tennis ball size chunk of the cat material jammed in the outlet?
Old 08-15-2003, 10:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mark and Rob,

Wow, you guys really handled this very professionally. I liked the "strategerie" you guys did before the meeting. Planning is everything and from what Mark wrote, you guys did it right.

I loved Mark's description when Ranger Randy figured out who you guys were. I bet he got that "funny sensation" in his back.

The point re NRA is the one thing I hope you guys can successfully mobilize. Did you guys exchange contact information w/ the jeep guy? I believe he'd be a good ally in addition to YT, 4x4wire, and other off-roaders in the area.

Now with that said, do you guys feel that even if you did mobilize, put up a good united front, will the FS listen and respond positively to your concerns? If not, who is higher on the food chain? i.e. "What is your backup plan?" Have you guys considered writing or petitioning their superiors and their superiors? All the way up to the Senator/Congressman level?

If you guys want, I could set up an online petition and have the emails fwd'd to either one of you. Just give me the text and I'll do the rest.

Good luck, guys and fight the good fight.

Bob
Old 08-16-2003, 07:09 AM

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5

Now with that said, do you guys feel that even if you did mobilize, put up a good united front, will the FS listen and respond positively to your concerns?
Getting people together to fight for all this is a great idea. It's so good that it's already been done. It's called the PNW4WDA and they've been doing this for years! They are as close to be the 4wheelers political voice as you can get. Even if you're not a member club, many of you who are not, should be come personal members. You can get them to help rally behind you or at the very least help you better understand the problems and solutions. Don't reinvent the wheel, the time involved is huge. At least talk with them, especially the region directors. I'm sure many of you have seen the Tri-Power magazine. If you look through there you'll see that the PNW4WDA has a whole body of the organization dedicated to this stuff. They hold a LARGE jamboree in the Naches on the second weekend of July every year. Find out what they do and copy it. It'll save you a lot of time and heartache.
Old 08-16-2003, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by upndair
Whayya doin' next Saturday. We've got a run to Evan's Creek planned. We've not had a chance to really do a trail run together since the Greenwater trip we went on wasn't much of a wheelin' trip, although it was still a blast. Of course, my catalytic converter plugging up on the way there didn't help. Did I tell you that they found a tennis ball size chunk of the cat material jammed in the outlet?
Thanks for the invite Gibby! Unfortunately, I have a prior commitement. If we get some rain and things reopen, I have a chapter run to proctor, if not, I will be taking a young lady for her very first camping experience that weekend.

That would certainly explain why your rig was running so poorly that day I take it all is well and functioning now?
Old 08-16-2003, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by WATRD
I take it all is well and functioning now?
Well, it's undergone some pretty major upgrades since then. I seem to have everything OK. I have to move the steering box forward a little but that's the only complicated think I have to finish before next weekend.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
The point re NRA is the one thing I hope you guys can successfully mobilize. Did you guys exchange contact information w/ the jeep guy? I believe he'd be a good ally in addition to YT, 4x4wire, and other off-roaders in the area.

Now with that said, do you guys feel that even if you did mobilize, put up a good united front, will the FS listen and respond positively to your concerns? If not, who is higher on the food chain? i.e. "What is your backup plan?" Have you guys considered writing or petitioning their superiors and their superiors? All the way up to the Senator/Congressman level?

Bob
"Slim" as Mark called him, "John" in real life, represents a couple of groups. He and I are exchanging mails and although he is a little Jeep-centric, he and I are seeing eye to eye on many organizational details. Watch for more info, coming as soon as I have it

I think that initially, the Forest Circus is going to be VERY recalcitrant regarding lobbying by an organized group of off roaders. Based upon what I am seeing, they are likely to dig in their heels, kick and scream the entire way toward any compromises that may eventually be made.

It would appear from my experience that the vast majority of folks in Forest Circus' employ have distinct leanings toward the left. So far, it is my distinct impression that they would prefer if there were no motorize us of "their land" and they would be perfectly happy if the people in general just "went away" completely. (Think back to the forestry types you likely met during college) It's going to be an uphill battle for us.

But, with that said, if we can get organized, they don't have too many choices. WE after all, are the public in "Public Land".

Now, I have always had trouble following the "chain of command". I would have been terrible in the military. I have always thought that it didn't make much sense to go so someones boss, if their bosses boss was available

As a result, I am simultaneously carrying on conversations with Randy, the Wenatchee district ranger, representitives of the Forest Circus in the other Washington and some budget folks in the USDA who ultimately controll Randy's purse strings. On top of that, I have already recieved letters back from one of my representatives and one of my senators in the other Washington.

I can't stress enough that until we manage to get some clout going from sheer numbers, our best bet is for people in addition to me to do the same thing. As has been mentioned, the letters need to be business like, but there is no substitute for showing all involved that this is not just one man's tirade against the Forest Circus.