Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Colorado: Castle Gulch, Fri, 12/26

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 11:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Colorado: Castle Gulch (Pics added)

Dozer (Paul) and I were discussing the possibility of going on a run somewhere this Friday. I've really been wanting to go back to Castle Gulch (out of Lefthand Canyon) as I had a blast on it my first time a couple months ago with the Rising Sun group. I know Paul is up for it, so we thought we'd extend an invite to anyone else that may have that day off. As of a week ago, reports are that it is dry, and with temps in the 50's this week, it should remain so. I haven't completed the trail in full, so if someone else (ahem, Brad!) who knows it well and can go, we'd love to have you.

-- A lift or sliders are required (preferably both for peace of mind)
-- It is rated a 7

Last edited by Darren; 12-27-2003 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:16 PM

Yep, I'm down.

In fact, I have pretty much the next two weeks off as we'll.

On friday can we leave early (8:00ish) cuz I need to be back around 6 or 7pm?

Dozer
Old 12-24-2003, 01:51 AM
Contributing Member

What do you say? Should I break my rusty old frame on the '83 to make way for the new frame?

I'd love to tag along, but I have work to do on 3 vehicles
Old 12-25-2003, 02:58 PM

Darren,

goin to the fams tonight...call me later(or in the morning) if you want.

otherwise,why dont we meet at Slee at 9:30 tomorrow morning?

Dozer
Old 12-27-2003, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

Paul and I had a good run yesterday. It was nice to see what this place looked like in the daytime. I got a lot more pictures out of it this time, that's for sure. Seemed easier this time as well. It was sunny during most of the run, and while at the top, we could see it snowing on the Indian Peaks off to the west. When we got down and started to air up, we were greeted by a big wind gust, followed by some driving snow. And as is Colorado standard, it was sunny and blue sky about 10 minutes later!

Well, you know the routine, here are the pics:

In the rock garden

Looking down Castle Gulch

Heading back down

Here's my official report along with the rest of the pictures:
http://mycolorado.org/images/castle_gulch/
Old 12-27-2003, 04:45 PM

Looks like ya'll had fun! I cant wait to off-road with you colorado folk. Nice pictures also!
Old 12-27-2003, 05:03 PM
Contributing Member

Larry, I really meant to say this before, but don't ever hesitate to come out on a ride with any of us. We all have spare seats! So if any particular trip looks good on this board, and looks like it would work for you to come out, by all means, let us (or me) know. That would allow you to see what 4Runners are capable of and how they handle, in addition to seeing some of the state.
Old 12-27-2003, 05:52 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

re

looks like alot of fun, wish i was there
Old 12-27-2003, 08:43 PM

Nice run Darren. I've been out sick with a cold or probably would have went with you. It definitely looks like a whole other trail in the daytime, compared to when we did it a night.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by Darren
Larry, I really meant to say this before, but don't ever hesitate to come out on a ride with any of us. We all have spare seats! So if any particular trip looks good on this board, and looks like it would work for you to come out, by all means, let us (or me) know. That would allow you to see what 4Runners are capable of and how they handle, in addition to seeing some of the state.
Hey, thanks thats sounds great! When I get back to DU it will be ski season for me, but maybe sometime in the spring or next fall I will join you guys. Hopefully I will get a 4runner this summer! Thanks again.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:07 PM
DSP

Looks like a good ride...
wish i could have made it...

Is that ALL the snow you have on the front range right now????

I was skiing SIlverton yesterday with a 60" base, seems a little bizzare...wish i could have taken the pass home!!!

well, catch you after the new year.
just got off the phone with rockware, might be down your way next month Darren.

Let me know when your blazing trails again.
-dsp
Old 12-30-2003, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Dave,

Yeah, there isn't all that much snow in the Front Range at the moment (none in Denver). Any substantial depth is probably at 10,000'+ (wild guess).

In case you missed some of my previous pics from one of my snow runs last weekend (down the page a bit), here's one.

Here's a small preview of a run I went on yesterday up to Yankee Hill out of Central City.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Look for the full report on that one in a few days. I've got some good pics and vids. (Sorry I didn't let you know about this one, Paul. It was kind of a last minute trip on my part.)

Sounds good on the Rock Ware bit, though I see you might be interested in the carrier NVRSASTK came up with. That doesn't look too bad at all.

As for when I'll be blazing trails, well, I've gone out 6 times in the last 5 weeks. Hopefully, that trend will continue. As for when I'll be down that way next, I'm not sure. I will come down for a weekend sometime this winter for some pictures, but I haven't set a date. I bet Silverton is awesome right about now.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:02 AM
DSP

ahhhh snow runs....

with all that snow your truck is starting to look like mine right now...gotta love off-roading in the snow!

we've been getting hit pretty good, my tailgate is actually been frozen shut the last 5 days...

anyway those snaps look great...and i have decided on the rockware for sure, just interested in what that other guy was fabricating for the hitch. with the stock market doing so well, i may be down your way sooner than later to get that bumper, my truck is screaming for a nice Christmas present.

Late