FJ Cruiser 2007 & on

Skyjacker Strut Performance Lift Kit for FJ(read before install PLEASE)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skyjacker Strut Performance Lift Kit for FJ(read before install PLEASE)

Skyjacker performance strut 3" lift
Includes:
Front replacement strut (re-use factory spring)
Rear coil springs
Rear end links
four .25" thick red bushings w/ nipple
four .78" thick black hard poly spacer bushings
two rear nuts for end link stud

You have to purchase the rear shocks seperately (which I recommend for the ride factor)

Well, the instructions are not very specific on what you do with the front bushings.
You re-use the factory top strut mount. In order to use the skyjacker bushings, you must remove the black bushing that is pressed in the underside of the top strut mount.
The small red bushing goes under the top strut mount and the black poly spacer bushing goes on top of the top strut mount.

On the rear, Skyjacker says to re-use the factory bolt for the eye mount of the new rear end link. Well, the factory end link has a permanent mounted stud (non re-useable). So this is impossible. I went to the hardware store and got a nut and bolt for this. Also, the nut Skyjacker provided for the stud mount at the top of the end link wasn't correct, the threads didn't match, so I had to go get a nut also at the hardware store.
However the skyjacker end link is hitting the trailing arm now. So I am going to see what is causing this tomororw, I will update you when I know the deal. (might be the bolt I used or could be because the size difference in stock to skyjacker, because it was a huge difference - will inform you tomorrow)

I will give all other added info once I have it but wanted to get this out there for anyone else who *might* be installing this kit.
Other than the instructions and hardware ÅÅÅÅ Ive dealt with its a nice kit (ride wise and handling and such - definitely better than spacers) But the install REALLY makes me irked.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:37 PM

I'd be interested in extended end links for my vehicle to compliment my OME lift kit. No offense but if you need instructions to install the suspension kit it's probably not something you should be doing. I'm not trying to stir the pot or call you dumb here, so don't take it as a personal attack. I've lifted and lowered something like 8 vehicles and have yet to find a kit that had instructions of any useful variety.
The exception I've seen would be kits that come with diff brackets and other more complicated stuff.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:27 PM

Everyone has to start somewhere... and I have worked on plenty of vehicles as well (having gone to college for autotech)... Im just sharing info for the rest of us who give the instructions with the kit to a shop to install or give them a once over to make sure we have all parts needed. Because I don't know about you, I like making sure everything is right before I tear a 30k+ truck apart.
And I was listing whats included because the instructions say that you should get something COMPLETELY different than what you actually get/need. And the hardware that comes with the kit does NOT fit and I dont want someone else to go trying to install it and ÅÅÅÅ their ÅÅÅÅ up in the process.

anyways. I was trying to do the nice thing for someone who might run into the same questions I had when the kit said you should have this (insert parts list here) and i had something COMPLETELY opposite.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

ofrd grl, i wouldnt take offense to his answer some dont follow all threads ,and its obvious in my opinion you have done some wrenching. ive have installed 4 suspension lifts on various vehilces and various manufactuers and along with absolutly horrible instructions there always seems to be something missing fro mal lof the kits , wether it be nuts bolts or anything else. also most kits are made for various models and even vehicle manufacturs and are or might be interchangalbe , just by flipping a shock upside down or an arm one way or another. my best guess is that you received a kit for a 4runner or tacoma since they use the same suspension , but im betting that there are slight differecnes hence the problem with the bolts and such. im surprised that sky jacker hadnt checked out the fitment with the fjc from there other kits though, if thats the case. but in the all mighty doller of things they were probably as hurried to get a kit out as the rest of the market so they did lose any chance of lost dollers to some other kit manufacturer.
im kind of glad my 4runner hasnt sold yet , because i would have bought all my off road goodies including a lift kit a while back if it had , and now i get to see the plus and minuses to some of the lifts with everyone else buying first. and things on my list have changed several times due to very compitetent people like yourselves . good luck, id try calling skyjacker and ask if they have had any other fitment problems with other kits sold for fjc'ers. they might not even know the problems and you could be the person to help change all that for them . maybe they even throw in a goodies package for the very helpful and useful info. sracth their back maybe theyll scratch yours.

airrikk17
Old 09-05-2006, 06:30 PM

WELL... contacted skyjacker today.. they sent all my suggestions/issues to R&D who should be contacting me tomorrow. (yea good luck with that one Una)

took FJ wheeling to flex it out as much as possible today to try to reproduce what we *thought* was the end link hitting the trailing arm. i couldnt get ANYTHING to bang. (and it wasn't the coils seating because i had been driving on them for 2 weeks prior) So Im not sure what that was about. But at full articulation, the end link and swaybar have plenty of room so that wasn't it.
None the less the hardware kit sucked. I don't know what in the hell was banging...

so thats my update for now...