FJ Cruiser 2007 & on

newbie ... how do you like yours ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 05:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newbie ... how do you like yours ?

hey all, im looking into getting an FJ cruiser, ive always been a fan of the FJ (all years from the 40 to the regular land cruiser and now the newest fj cruiser) . ... i got REALLY into them when i saw the rough country 6 inch lift in a 4wheel magazine (i currently have an old z71 chevy that i love).

anyway, on to the point... im a newb to "real" off road, and doubt ill even take my FJ to serious trails (just the jersey pines and maybe some eastern PA stuff).

id really like to be able to fit 35s under it, but if the 6 incher cant handle any tough off road im wondering if the OME 3 is really enough lift just fitting 33s ?

does anyone have any pics with a 3 inch lifted parked next to a stock FJ?

ive seens a lot of really impressive videos of the stock FJs, seems like theyre pretty nice rigs for a "dual purpose" type vehicle.

thanks a lot for any input.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:36 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hello, welcome to YotaTech.

You can fit 33s now under the FJ in stock form if you keep the factory wheels which have a great offset and tuck them in close.

However if you go with aftermarket wheels, they will stick out some, and it is a good idea to do the "body mount trim" procedure.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=137655

I run the OME 3" lift with stock size tires, only in muds.
I am stepping up to the 33s later on, not sure if I will need to do the body mount trim or not since I have the lift.

I have seen many pics around the 'Net of a stock FJ sitting next to one with the OME 3" lift on it, quite a difference.

Myself I think 6" is pushing it for an IFS rig.

This woman here was rubbing with 33" tires and a 3" lift, but that was due to her choice in aftermarket wheels which stuck out a lot further than the stock wheels.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=115308

As far as how I like the FJ, I have absolutely zero complaints on it.

You mentioned you have seen some good vids off road, here are two FJ Cruisers on Hells Gate at Moab.
One is stone stock right down to the factory tires.

Those vids can be found in this same section.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:43 AM

thanks for the input, i think if i go with an FJ ill probably just stick to 3 inch and some 33s on some conservative wheels that wont stick out too much.

i can see how a 6in lift would be a bit much on these trucks, on the fullsize chevys though (where i hung out most) 6 inch lift looks perfect, and since most of what i like is mud, the IFS actually helps a little with clearance.

yeah i saw the hells gate video, and another one on the rubicon trail, and then one of a stylinconcepts one putting a wheel up on a real big rock, i was quite impressed by that.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 285/70-17's on mine which measure right around 33"x10.50"s. I have a level lift(1-3/4" lift in front only) and on problem with rubbing on stock rims. I LOVE my FJ. The only complaint I have is leasing to my daughter complain about the rear seating and lack of view. But I'm good at not leasing . Enjoy your FJ and try and take it offroad you'll be glad you did.(don't go alone)
Old 05-27-2007, 09:00 AM

oh i wont be going alone i know that... for where i am, it seems width of tires is a bit more important than height, i think if i could fit some 33x1250s on it id be really happy. thats bigger than what is on my truck now and it does fine everywhere i go to be honest.

also, how do you all like your Atrac locker ? i was looking at some FJs on the lot yesterday and those options sure add up quick, but they look like they are money well spent quality items.

i really like the price of the very very base model one, but it seems those are somewhat hard to find. cheapest one i saw in person was 29,000. not bad for what you get, especially compared to a jeep.

also, in regard to the tires sticking out the sides, i really like that look, i think it adds some "toughness" to it...

i think ill either end up getting an FJ or a tacoma, just bc they have powerfull V6s and gas is murder ... ill miss v8s, but we'll see.