FJ Cruiser 2007 & on

FJ Debate

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 09:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perhaps they could have "paid homage" to the old ones by not making this one some cheap, money-making, grocery getter, rip off. That would have been a lot nicer than the white top IMO.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Intrepid
Perhaps they could have "paid homage" to the old ones by not making this one some cheap, money-making, grocery getter, rip off. That would have been a lot nicer than the white top IMO.
You've obviously never seen one in action. :pat:
Old 07-24-2006, 10:23 AM
Contributing Member

It's built with the 4Runner's mechanicals so I don't see how it's a cheap grocery getter rip off when it's equipped with the much coveted factory locker and a true manual tranny and it's quite capable off road and is far from a poser.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:28 AM

Cheap grocery getter rip off of the original is what I meant, the only thing better about this is that it can come stock with a locker, unfortunately, it appears to have the same weak rear end the other new Yota's do, this is nothing like the original other than the look, which is more a marketing ploy than anything else. Just because Toyota tells you it is an amazing off road vehicle, doesn't make it true. It is no more amazing than a locked tacoma or a locked 4runner. Put a locker and sliders on any vehicle and it will be capable. That doesn't make this any more or less capable than ANY other vehicle you do that too.

Last edited by Intrepid; 07-24-2006 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Intrepid
Cheap grocery getter rip off of the original is what I meant, the only thing better about this is that it can come stock with a locker, unfortunately, it appears to have the same weak rear end the other new Yota's do, this is nothing like the original other than the look, which is more a marketing ploy than anything else. Just because Toyota tells you it is an amazing off road vehicle, doesn't make it true. It is no more amazing than a locked tacoma or a locked 4runner. Put a locker and sliders on any vehicle and it will be capable. That doesn't make this any more or less capable than ANY other vehicle you do that too.
:bigclap: Ever seen them on the trail? Ever driven one? A stock FJ40 isn't all that impressive either, it's a capable platform to start with. Having personally witnessed the vehicle's capability I would say you're wrong, but hey you're an internet expert so who I am to question your almighty opinion.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by WillsFJC
:bigclap: Ever seen them on the trail? Ever driven one? A stock FJ40 isn't all that impressive either, it's a capable platform to start with. Having personally witnessed the vehicle's capability I would say you're wrong, but hey you're an internet expert so who I am to question your almighty opinion.
I have not driven one. Explain to me in all your glory why an FJ wheels so much better than any other vehicle? Show me how the IFS is so much stronger than an SFA or any other weak, crappy, IFS, perhaps explain to me why the weak locked rear axle is not weak at all.
I did not say that the stock FJ-40 was an amazing wheeler, your statement is just it, it is a solid platform, whereas, the FJ doesn't appear to be so solid. I don't own one, so no, I can't take it out and break it just to prove a point, however, based on reading reviews and seeing the breakage incurred by owners on these forums, I don't see that it is as good as Toyota claims it is. I am not saying it is bad and noone should buy it, I just don't believe that it is the amazing off road machine that Toyota claims it is. Although I must be wrong because you have wheeled yours a couple times.

Last edited by Intrepid; 07-24-2006 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

Accounting for new 4wd that have come otu it's quite capable and comparing it to a modded vehicle is apples and oranges.
You do have alot of wheelin' vids of the FJ out all over the place and it's only been out for 6 months. What else is new that you can buy that offers the off road options that the FJ offers excluding it's siblings? Hummers have some goodies available and maybe the XTerra comes close but the FJ is directly aimed at the people that want a solid daily driver but will actually wheel the truck.

Also remember 1st year of any vehicle is bound to reveal it's issues but those will be fixed with the next edition just like other models of cars.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
Accounting for new 4wd that have come otu it's quite capable and comparing it to a modded vehicle is apples and oranges.
You do have alot of wheelin' vids of the FJ out all over the place and it's only been out for 6 months. What else is new that you can buy that offers the off road options that the FJ offers excluding it's siblings? Hummers have some goodies available and maybe the XTerra comes close but the FJ is directly aimed at the people that want a solid daily driver but will actually wheel the truck.

Also remember 1st year of any vehicle is bound to reveal it's issues but those will be fixed with the next edition just like other models of cars.
Do I earn an immediate ban if I mention the Rubicon? OR the fact that it is basically the same as an H3?
I agree on the first year thing, however, they haven't fixed the Tacoma rear end issue yet and it is past it's first year, what makes you think they will for the FJ? I am not denying that the FJ is a decent DD/light wheeler, but I have wheeled IFS...and replaced every part of it. I am unimpressed.
When Jeep offered it's followers an out of the box wheeler, it followed through, really low t-case gears, MTR's, upgraded axles over the stock version, dual e-lockers, etc. It seems to me that Toyota thought, "Hmm...thats a good idea." But they didn't want it to be a specialized sort of thing, so instead, they made a vehicle that appeals to soccer moms, low ground clearance, street tires, IFS, etc and added an option for a rear locker and sliders and then told all of us, "NONO, this is a REAL wheeler." and we believed them immediately because they took pics and vids of it off road. I have seen quite a few people wheeling the 4th gen 4runner's, how come noone acts like they are the best off road vehicle ever? While I do think this is the best we will get out of Toyota since they won't ship the Autstralian versions of the 100 series LC's here (dual elockers, sfa, etc), I don't think it is the magical rubicon killer, master wheeling machine it is touted to be.

Also, I am not comparing it to any modded vehicles. I was comparing it to the FJ-40, both in base form, I suspect the 40 would spank the cruiser.
In closing, I am also not saying I am going to run off and become a jeep owner, I still own one of the last year vehicles from back when Toyota remembered how to build them. I just think that maybe we should take a more critical look at what Toyota has done here.

Last edited by Intrepid; 07-24-2006 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:07 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
The guy on the rubicon did not know what he was doing.
From what I saw riding in Will's rig two Saturdays ago, the FJC kicks major ass off road.
Read my trail report on the Reiter Trails ride.

Here is a good 167 MB vid
http://fjblack.shov3l.com/Airing%20D...ils%201250.mpg

10 minute download if you right click and save it.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:10 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
PS...
The FJ40 can no way spank the new FJ Cruiser.
The FJ40 had open diffs, and no A Trac traction control.
The new one has both the rear locker and the A Trac system.

The FJC wins over a stock FJ40 anyday.
Its even been said over at ih8muds site.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Corey
PS...
The FJ40 can no way spank the new FJ Cruiser.
The FJ40 had open diffs, and no A Trac traction control.
The new one has both.

The FJC wins over a stock FJ40 anyday.
Its even been said over at ih8muds site.
I meant the Jeep Rubicon, not that tard on the rubicon, hahaha.
Also, I am talking base model. Does the base FJ Cruiser have a trac and a locker? When equipped the same, the 40 will spank the FJC. Also, which one will stand up to hard wheeling the longest? Even modified, the IFS front end can't hold up and the rear end will probably explode, especially if you tried to put 35's on there.
Once again, I am not saying that the FJC is not at all capable off road, I am sure it is. I just think that with it's height, girth, street tires, and IFS, it won't hold up as well as it should. I also don't think that it is as solid a wheeler as the 40 was, yes, Toyota threw some extra goodies at it to make it cooler, but that doesn't change all it's other issues. I maintain, it is not the amazing wheeler that Toyota claims it is.

I will check out the vid once I am home.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:25 PM

No one here is arguing that IFS is better that SAS for offroading. That would be a stupid thing to argue.

Every vehicle has its own issues, Toyotas with straight axles tend to brake burfields, obviously they must be bad too using your logic.
You're alluding to the fact I'm viewing my vehicle and its abilities through rose colored glasses, which I will admit to. Everyone is inherently biased, however, I realize that it has limitations. You on the other hand are making a lot of ignorant and relatively baseless claims built on your prejudices.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:25 PM

I have been in an older rig that was locked and loaded. I have also been in a rig with the newest off-road goodies (ATRAC and similar). Some prefer old school... some appreciate innovation. IMO, both work equally well. I think the perfect rig would be a combo of the two. Combine traction control with beefy axles, and you've got a helluva rig.

IFS doesn't always mean weak links. Hummers (not H2 or H3's) use IFS... they do fine. Not to say the FJ's IFS is Hummer worthy, but it might not be necessarily weak either.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:36 PM
Contributing Member

Ok,the Jeep Rubicon would probably beat it but which would you want to drive everyday or take one on a couple thousand mile trip. The Jeep is pretty has one purpose and comfortable everyday driveablility isn't it.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by WillsFJC
No one here is arguing that IFS is better that SAS for offroading. That would be a stupid thing to argue.

Every vehicle has its own issues, Toyotas with straight axles tend to brake burfields, obviously they must be bad too using your logic.
You're alluding to the fact I'm viewing my vehicle and its abilities through rose colored glasses, which I will admit to. Everyone is inherently biased, however, I realize that it has limitations. You on the other hand are making a lot of ignorant and relatively baseless claims built on your prejudices.
You are making an incorrect statement, Toyota's wth straight axles do not tend to break birfs. I am wheeling a stock '85 w/ a locked front end on 31's, so are a couple others I wheel with, we haven't broken one yet. Also, I have not heard of anyone breaking a birf on 31's, even on hard trails. I have heard of people breaking birfs on big tires, however, we were not talking about modded trucks. Whereas, I have heard of people breaking CV's when on stock tires, open diff, and I have heard of people breaking the ring and pinion on the new rear axles on stock tires.
I don't see that my remarks are either ignorant or baseless, especially for someone looking to buy a new vehicle to use as a wheeler that will see some abuse. neither are they prejudiced. I am a Toyota owner, I love Toyota's, and like everyone else, I was very excited at the thought of an FJ. I was just as eager as the rest to get my chance to hop into one at Takeover last year, however, I have begun to lean away from it based on what I have seen.
The term is research, the research I have done seems to support my remarks. If they are baseless, ignorant, and prejudiced, then it should be easy to disprove them. Please do, I would love to rejoin the FJC lover's.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
Ok,the Jeep Rubicon would probably beat it but which would you want to drive everyday or take one on a couple thousand mile trip. The Jeep is pretty has one purpose and comfortable everyday driveablility isn't it.
Actually I have been in one, the coils ride pretty nicely and I would not hesitate to make a long trip in one. I still wouldn't honestly want one just due to engine issues, however, I had no problem with the ride.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:59 PM

Trucks are less buildable then they used to be. An old FJ could be built to a nasty rig for much less money and time then a new FJ. We all know the rigs now don't have the potential they used to, and saying that they do, when they obviously don't really makes it look like you are somehow trying to justify spending that 30k in cash. I've worked on Scouts, Broncos, Balzers, and let me tell you, you will not find a truck from the factory with 3/4 ton solid axles, a short wheelbase, and a big V8, granted that's not what most people want, but that is a truck that is downright nasty on the trail. I think the new FJ will sell good, but people arent buying the rugged trucks they once were, people want weekend warriors, something they can beat on on some easier trails for a weekend, and drive to work during the week, thats what I bought my yota for. You very very rarely see people swap to bigger axles or engines on Blazers and Broncos, I've seen some axle swaps on Jeeps, but I've allready seen an FJ SAS, and it has only been out for a few months, what does that tell you? NO offense to anyone here, I love this board, and I love my Toyota, but it is just not built like the older trucks were, it is a different group of consumers that are buying these trucks. I don't want to offend anyone, and I've tried my best to just state my opinion, but sorry if I have in advance,

Last edited by JHupp; 07-24-2006 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:13 PM

In my completely unbiased opinion, I'd be willing to bet that a stock FJ with as big of tires you could fit with no lift and minor trimming could outwheel a stock '85 4Runner with no lift and minor trimming. Once you go beyond stock, it's anybody's game.

However, the FJ against a Rubicon? I'll give it to the Rubicon. But, who's gonna sell more? Toyota will. That's what it all comes down to. They're just doing what they know will make them money. FJ owners will pick up where they left off without much complaint, either. End result will most likely be a very very capable trail rig.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Churnd
In my completely unbiased opinion, I'd be willing to bet that a stock FJ with as big of tires you could fit with no lift and minor trimming could outwheel a stock '85 4Runner with no lift and minor trimming. Once you go beyond stock, it's anybody's game.
Good trucks are built, not bought.

Depending on what you want to do, I would take the 85 4runner as a dedicated wheeling rig, it can be built for much less time and money. I would take the FJ as a weekend warrior/daily driver, because it is probably going to be more reliable(albeit uglier too j/k)
Old 07-24-2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by JHupp
Good trucks are built, not bought.
True enough. So, the only thing keeping the FJ from stomping the rest on the trail is an owner with a deep enough wallet.

Quick Reply: FJ Debate