93-98 T100s All T100 trucks

4WD and Rear Drive Shaft Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4WD and Rear Drive Shaft Questions

I've got myself a pretty good 1995 T100, but I am having an issue with a horrid bounce at about 45-50mph (not much to notice below and above that speed). The rear diff was changed recently since one of the gears broke and the pinion was really screwed up and locked the whole rear end up. When the truck was apart, it was also noticed that the center bearing was out of whack and needed to be replaced. Now, for the odd question... would it be safe or OK (for temporary) to remove the rear drive shaft and run the truck in 4 high (making the truck 2WD, but with the front instead of rear) until I can afford to fix this problem? When the original rear diff locked up, the mechanic did this as a temporary fix until we could get the new parts for the rear end, but did not say if that could/would actually hurt the truck in the long run. We had noticed that the bounce that is an issue now was existent before the rear end went, but when the system was running in 4WD for that short period of time, that bounce went completely away. I'm hoping that this little switch and running in 4WD will be OK for at least a temporary fix since it is the only vehicle that I have and I need to get back and forth to work and the bounce is getting quite bad. Any help or knowledge that you can offer will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Sure, no issue with FWD operation:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...FixingProblems

Might want to check the phasing on the rear shaft as well:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri....shtml#Phasing
Old 03-15-2011, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the information-- nice to read and see that the method can be used. Found the culprit for the bounce... somehow, we had missed that a U-joint was going bad when we replaced the rear diff and didn't think to check that again before I came on here to find the information. Now, just have to get that fixed up and we should be fully good to go again.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Yep, that is one thing folks miss on finding/fixing drive line issues. They find the first/main issue and fix that, only to find out there is still a problem. So you need to go through the whole drive train and find/fix all the issues, all at the same time to ultimately fix the problem. In your case, it could be the bad u-joint caused a vibration that make the rear diff. loosen up and go bad. Then you find and fix that rear diff, but the underlying problem cause is still there. And it may have been some other issue like phasing or alignment that caused that u-joint to fail. So be sure and check over everything related to that rear shaft.