General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird cruise control problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weird cruise control problem

Alright on my 95 extra cab v6, the cruise control doesn't work correctly.When I try to set the speed it doesn't work but if i push and. Hold the button on the side it accelerates, it also accelerates if I slide the switch all the way to the left... any ideas why it wont set a certain speed
Old 09-24-2010, 07:30 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Is it OEM cruise?

Do you have a picture of the setup?
Old 09-24-2010, 08:34 PM

Yes its ome.I don't have one now.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:20 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
ditch it.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Staff

Originally Posted by 95blackToy
Yes its ome.I don't have one now.
what???

If you don't have cruise, then why are you asking this question?
Old 09-25-2010, 11:14 PM

You asked if I had a picture of it. I said no I don't have one.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I concur with needing a picture of the stalk controls to diagnose. I am assuming it has the controls on the stalk coming out of the steering column? I always thought the 95's had the cruise on the steering wheel?

My 1st gen has a button on the dash which "arms" the cruise system, then I must turn the crusie stalk counter-clockwise for a second to set a speed. Once the speed is set, if you turn the stalk counter-clockwise and hold it will accelerate and clockwise to decelerate. To cancel out press the brake pedal. It sounds like yours is the same except you have a sliding switch to set/accelerate and to decelrate? If so I think you have to push momentarily to set and then push and hold to decelerate.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:53 PM

I will try to get a picture tomorrow evening. The whole system of switches and buttons comes out of the steering column. The slide is "off" all the way to the right, in the middle it is "on",and all the way left is "Accel". If I recall right. Then the button on the end is "set". I am not absolutely sure of that,as it has never worked.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:56 PM

alright here is a picture of it.

Today when i drove it it wouldnt do what it did that one time, that was also the first time the cruise control has ever done anything since I've owned it.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:17 PM

also the light doesnt ever come on either, i read somewhere on here a while back that that makes a difference of what the problem is.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:57 PM

Can anyone confirm that is OEM toyota? It doesn't look it to me.

Judging from the labeling the functionality should be as follows:

1. Slide the switch to the on position.
2. reach the desired speed manually.
3. Press the set/coast button momentarily for a second or two.
The CC should now take over and you should be able to take your foot off the accelerator.

To speed up slide the switch to the resume/accel position. When you release it it should now resume at the new speed.

To disengage the CC to coastor decelerate press the set/coast button.

To resume last programmed speed slide the switch to the resume/accel position.

To cancel slide the switch to off or press the brake.

I am just throwing this out there to make sure you understand how it is supposed to work.

Do any of the controls feel rough? like the button feeling stuck or the slide switch feeling rough?

I would try by ascertaining if it definetly is OEM toyota. If so, track down the FSM. I have the FSM for 95 4Runner, but the one it shows in that is the steering wheel mounted controls that I assumed 95' pickups had as well.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:47 PM
Staff

That is NOT OEM Toyota.

OEM cruise mounts in the steering wheel in a 3 button setup.

Like this:

Last edited by DeathCougar; 09-26-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im pretty sure that that is a Toyota set up. I have the same switch on 97. From how mine is wired up it looks like it was an addition after it was out of the factory, but all the parts from what I can tell are from Toyota, at least the box under the hood is. Anyways what I am saying is that it was an addition that was most likely put on at the dealer. Mine acts a little goofy sometimes too, Ill be interested to see what you all have to say about it.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:12 PM
Staff

It's not OEM.

If its a dealer add-on, it does NOT use OEM parts. You will not be able to find parts for that at the dealer.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:46 AM

I didn't think it was OEM, but I didn't want to say for sure.

95BlackToy, I think that the best thing to do at this point would be to definetively identify the unit. Take some pictures on the control box/actuator under the hood, trace the wires from the control stalk to see where they go, etc. Look for manufacture/model numbers, etc.

Maybe after we figure out what it is, there might be some documentation for it somewhere online. Most of these aftermarket units did not have a long production run, since cars started to have cruise pretty much standard.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:30 PM

i will try to get on that tomorrow. I got the afternoon off work. I know it came with truck new, thats why i assumed it was OEM but i guess not. The weird thing is that it only did it once, never again or before that. I got it from my grandma who had it she was the second owner. Il try to check it all out tomorrow though.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:42 PM

If its not a toyota part then I wonder where the dealers where getting them. Mine looks exactly the same. I can vouch that the box for mine is from Toyota, but as far as the actual control in the cab coming out of the column is concerned there are no markings that I can see. Do you think there are others who might have this same addition? I would think it would be pretty common for them to get pretty bare bones trucks and then have people wanting some cruise control installed. I can see under the dash where it has been spliced in, but not sure into what. Just to clarify 95Black I'm not trying to steal your post, it just seems like you and I are having similar problems. One time mine just stopped working too. I traced the wires and found that one of the quick splicer things they used had come loose. If you have a circuit tested you can see if it has power going to it once you click it to the "ON" spot.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:45 AM

its all good Survivor. I need all the info i can get on this thing. Mine has never worked in the past about 8 or more years. It has never even responded to me messing with the controlls till the other day, and only that day. I will try to look at it a little today but cant make any promises.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:54 PM

Ok. So I take it back about mine being from toyota. I looked again and couldn't find any toyota markings on it. About the controls; it seems that the little control coming out of the column on mine is very sensitive, you have to be very careful that the sliding part doesnt rest toward the "off" position too much or else it will sometimes shut itself off. I wonder if these just wear out? Or is there are way to make it work better. What did your do when you started messing with it?
Old 09-28-2010, 06:50 PM

i have never been able to use mine, it has never responded to anything till the other day. It i turned to on nothing would happen, if i moved the slide to the far left and held it it would start accelerating, it would also accelerate if i pushed the button on the side and held it. But thats all it has ever done, and it only did it that one day.