General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Serious electrical Problems

Ok, tonight while driving it was horrible because I had absolutely no dash light whats so ever. My brights indicator works, turn signals work, but no light on the actual dash. Plus the power to my radio will not work...Can anyone help me....

Also i'll be adding 4 radios, rock lights, siren flashers, on board air and a welder....
Do i need a a second batter....Can the 22r handle a bolt on welder....?
Old 08-19-2008, 08:12 PM

4 radios huh?
Old 08-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
4 radios and a welder? You better do more than just add a welder.

First step would obviously be figure out what the hell is goin on with your wiring. Btw, have you tried just turning the dimmer switch? Or better yet, is it even there?
Old 08-19-2008, 09:02 PM

In every forum there is one...look DeathCougar, I under that maybe you don't have the patience to deal with ppl who are asking questions, maybe you think they are lazy, maybe you think this or that...funny thing is...I came to the web site because I was tired of searching for dead end answers to my questions...I don't work my butt off at work, to blow it on something that aint gonna work for me...Now...maybe you deal with stupid ppl all day...I'm not one of them...My ing dash lights don't work..Read that again...just in case you didn't catch that....MY dash lights don't work! Ppl dont go to forums for other ppl to make them feel stupid even if they have a low technical amplitude level. Now...I was given this pick up...because I needed one...NOW I am left with trying to make the best out of it...For some odd reason the DASH lights DONT work...the radio in the truck was stolen and the previous owner said that since then the truck had a charging problem and the lights didn't work...He said that everything was reconnected, and fuses were replaced....and still dash light not working...Now....I just need to know what the common problem is when i comes to this...obviously its something happnes on these trucks...but no opens, no shorts, and fuses are Good....and Yes the damn dim switch is working...

4 radios- 1 Fire dept, 2 Hams,1 GRMS
I do search and rescue and other things...I love this truck....I just need help getting it sweet. I just dont dive into crap.....that's a way you cost yourself crap loads of money....
Old 08-19-2008, 09:04 PM

^wow.

My first question is, has anything recently changed before the problem? Has anything electrical been added/removed?

Edit: question still stands, but if not, then i would just visually inspect all the wires under the dash, hood. Has this always done this or has it just started?

Last edited by 904_runner; 08-19-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dont get all pissed at coug... he is tryin to better figure out ur situation. also, he may have a fairy-like mohawk, but he is one smart mother, you can learn a lot from him. i had the same prob with the lights, check the plug behind the dimmer knob, if its loose it will kill the lights until it is plugged in again. also, if you can read wiring diagrams, trace the hot line (red) and hook it up like that. if not, then hardwire the stereo to a switch, then an inline fuse, then to the battery. the switch being so you can turn off the stereo/radio and save your battery. hope it helps

Last edited by ozziesironmanoffroad; 08-19-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:13 PM

Yes, that does....I figured i would have to run a 12v to my radio...my speaker wires aren't even there....they were cut...so yeah...what about adding the welder to the engine and the dual batt system.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by darkangel
Yes, that does....I figured i would have to run a 12v to my radio...my speaker wires aren't even there....they were cut...so yeah...what about adding the welder to the engine and the dual batt system.
welder would be as easy as wiring it in with a fuse, power and ground. Check out www.12voltguy.com for dual battery setup.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:46 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
In every forum there is one...look DeathCougar, I under that maybe you don't have the patience to deal with ppl who are asking questions, maybe you think they are lazy, maybe you think this or that...funny thing is...I came to the web site because I was tired of searching for dead end answers to my questions...I don't work my butt off at work, to blow it on something that aint gonna work for me...Now...maybe you deal with stupid ppl all day...I'm not one of them...My ing dash lights don't work..Read that again...just in case you didn't catch that....MY dash lights don't work! Ppl dont go to forums for other ppl to make them feel stupid even if they have a low technical amplitude level. Now...I was given this pick up...because I needed one...NOW I am left with trying to make the best out of it...For some odd reason the DASH lights DONT work...the radio in the truck was stolen and the previous owner said that since then the truck had a charging problem and the lights didn't work...He said that everything was reconnected, and fuses were replaced....and still dash light not working...Now....I just need to know what the common problem is when i comes to this...obviously its something happnes on these trucks...but no opens, no shorts, and fuses are Good....and Yes the damn dim switch is working...

4 radios- 1 Fire dept, 2 Hams,1 GRMS
I do search and rescue and other things...I love this truck....I just need help getting it sweet. I just dont dive into crap.....that's a way you cost yourself crap loads of money....

I offer a possible solution, and this is how you respond? Yikes!

Like I said in my other post...you need to spend some time trying to figure out how to fix things or fab things yourself, instead of jumping on an online forum asking "this doesn't work, whats wrong?!" or "how hard is this?" There are a million possible things that can cause your dash lights and radio not to work. Try process of elmination; wiring, fuses, junctions, plugs, etc etc.

You're right, there IS one in every forum
Old 08-20-2008, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Trace the circuit for the dash lights. It is shown in the Factory Service Manual. I have found that adding anything to that circuit with a chassis ground will either kill or mess up the dash lights, all of which have a floating ground.

Dual batteries and an on-board welder are possible:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...atteries.shtml
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...er/index.shtml
Old 08-20-2008, 06:37 PM

DeathCougar, actually I am sorry. At any rate, I will find whats wrong....if the dash light are shot, do they just take any old bulb...or ?
Old 08-20-2008, 07:03 PM

they are labeled instrument bulbs
if you plan on running all of that stuff you might look into a GM ALT swap or get a belt driven generator from NORTHERN TOOL
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6970_9040_9040
to run the welder and any other power tool you might need.

Last edited by CyMoN; 08-20-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:03 PM

Ok...I will hack into this all friday or saturday night.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:25 PM

are your tail lights working properly?

if I remember correctly the tail lights run on the same circuit as the dash lights and radio. if I am right that means if the radio was yanked out and the wires where not put back in it could mess up the tail lights and dash lights.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
doesn't the factory radio also dim with the dash lights? if so, maybe when the radio was axed the wiring was shorted (light and +12v/memory) and fried the dimmer? and since all the dash lights ground through the dimmer, no worky.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We have all felt frustration like that darkangel.

We are here to help you out dude. You got the wiring diagrams or need help finding them?
Old 09-13-2008, 07:31 PM

I do not have the wiring diagrams....and here recently another problem arose out of this mess....My battery just all of sudden started die'n. Brand new alt, and so I am very eager to nip this problem in the bud real soon...
Old 09-17-2008, 05:08 PM

Check grounds and all connections.

You could bypass the dimmer and just have it all a full 12V. Thats what I've done on my runner.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:12 PM

Yes, that does....I figured i would have to run a 12v to my radio...my speaker wires aren't even there....they were cut...so yeah...
If all this is still not working try attaching speakers, I know that some aftermarket stereos won't power-up until speakers are attached.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by CyMoN
are your tail lights working properly?

if I remember correctly the tail lights run on the same circuit as the dash lights and radio. if I am right that means if the radio was yanked out and the wires where not put back in it could mess up the tail lights and dash lights.
I came in here to say that