General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear window defrost in my new truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear window defrost in my new truck

ok, this isn't much of an electrical questions, more of a warranty question. I just bought a used Tundra from an individual. Turns out that even though the truck is supposed to have rear window defrost and heated mirrors, the switch is missing, in its place is a switch blank. Called dealer and they will look at it.

Funny thing is, I got impatient, decided to take a look at it myself. Turns out that they installed the wrong "center console circuit board". (you can see where the switch is supposed to go, its just not soldered in). I looked at the wiring diagrams, and all the wiring is there for both the rear window and the defrost.

My question is this, since I already figured out the problem, would it be wise to tell the dealer exactly what the issue is, so they don't have to solve the problem all over again? Or is it best just to be quiet, let them solve it? I talked to them on the phone today, didn't give me much confidence in their knowledge (guy kept on calling my truck and SRS instead of an SR5, lol. Anyways, do you think that admitting my disassembling of the console to save their time would void the warranty?

Thanks!!
Old 09-14-2006, 10:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
have any pics.... i think it would be best to have the dealer install it as you will have the paper work to show it was done
Old 09-15-2006, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

yea, either way they would install it, I was just wondering if I should tip them off the solution that I found out. The pictures are huge right now, I am in the process of resizing them EDIT: Made pics 800*600 so my post follows the rules

Not sure what you mean about pics, of the truck, or the center console? I'll post both

Ok, now on to the console, in the wire harness the yellow wire is the defrost (which means everything is wired correctly) There are also 5 wires going to each mirror (only 3 wires if they are non-heated). You can also see where the switch would go, but it is not soldered on.

Last edited by dibble9012; 09-15-2006 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds to me like this car may have come like that on purpose. Does your VIN# specifically identify your truck as an SR5? Do you physically have the heated mirrors and rear defrost window? I doubt that the factory just "forgot" to put the switch and correct board in. I would get a carfax report to let you decode exactly what came on the vehicle, because it's very easy to change badges (or add ones for that matter).
Old 09-25-2006, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

nope, the dealer acknowledged the problem and they are in the process of fixing it (the heated mirrors and harness were installed, just not the switch)

I was amazed at the cost of all this, glad its not on my wallet.

new headlight $240
new homelink overhead console $514
new AC/defrost center dash console $922
plus the small amount for the window weather stripping
Old 10-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

Everything has been fixed 1 more oil change and I'm out of basic warranty