General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Tail lights - resistors installed, no cruise when lights are on?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED Tail lights - resistors installed, no cruise when lights are on?

Greetings!

I am long time lurker but first time poster. I have a 1999 4Runner Limited that I changed the tail lights out on. I put in Eagle Eye LEDs from Ebay. When I first did the swap my ABS light came on, I did some reading and ordered the resistors.

I put my resistors in and the ABS light turned off. However, during my holiday drive I noticed something interesting. If you have the head lights off the cruise will work fine. As soon as you turn on the headlights or parking lights the cruise will no longer set. I'm confused?!
Old 12-24-2013, 12:26 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Since I am not a big fan of using cruise control.

I can only guess the cruise control computer is either getting or not getting a signal

It could be seeing your brakes as being on all the time which would not allow your cruise to set.

Most likely something in this area.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:37 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
Since I am not a big fan of using cruise control
Same here, cruise control would put me to sleep - LOL!

O.P.,
Like Wyoming said ^^

Somewhere in the process, you must have messed up your wiring such that. cruise control system sees your tail lights on like it sees your brakes on. Check schematic and everything you touched.

Happy Holidays.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:43 AM

Red face

I wonder if the brake lights and tail lights got mixed up

I can only guess that would send the signal to the cruise that the brakes were applied.

Without prints just a wild guess.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:29 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
are you positive you put the resistor in the correct circuit?
Old 12-24-2013, 01:09 PM

Received 216 Likes on 158 Posts
You may also try to get a heavy duty flasher if its available for your year, I have heard people having better luck with that rather than intercepting every light with a resistor.

Just a thought though maybe the resistor isn't at the correct voltage that the cruise needs to not see activity??

Got mine from super bright LED's, 12 bucks well worth it, Did you add a resistor to every light?
Old 12-25-2013, 09:57 AM

I only added a resistor to the brake light circuit. The turn signal, and backup lights were left alone.

I am looking into the heavy duty flasher option. I guess my other other option is to put resistors on every circuit? Sounds tedious....

Thanks all!
Old 12-25-2013, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by frspilot
I only added a resistor to the brake light circuit. The turn signal, and backup lights were left alone.

I am looking into the heavy duty flasher option. I guess my other other option is to put resistors on every circuit? Sounds tedious....

Thanks all!
Keep it simple. Adding more new parts would be like adding fuel to the fire. Restore to stock and see if you still have same problem. Did you check your wiring job AGAINST the schematic?
Old 12-25-2013, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Keep it simple. Adding more new parts would be like adding fuel to the fire. Restore to stock and see if you still have same problem. Did you check your wiring job AGAINST the schematic?
I didn't get a schematic with my resistors. I Googled it and wired it according to the schematics I found online. The brake lights have a green and green yellow wire plus a ground. The resistor is connected in series to those two wires.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:59 AM

Red face

A Led flasher will not fix the cruise control issue !!!

All that does is add more resistance to the flasher and turn signals.

What was the reason for adding a resistor to the brake light circuit??

What was the end result Voltage wise you were looking for and just where??

When you measured the voltage did you have the value you needed???

I can only guess you needed the extra load for the cruise control computer or the ABS brake module another thing I have no use for.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:10 PM

Nice name Wyoming9!

When I first installed the lights with no resistors the ABS light came on, but the cruise worked. After installation the ABS light came off but the cruise didn't work with headlights on.

The reason I put the resistors on the brake light circuit is that's where the LEDs are. The turns are regular bulbs, and the backups are LED bulbs, but they aren't on during normal driving. Should I move the resistors upstream?
Old 12-26-2013, 12:08 AM

Red face

Since I really don`t use the cruise control or ABS Brakes I don`t really know.

I have no idea how the wheel sensors interact with the brake light circuit .

If they do at all because that would mean when a brake light blub burnt out the ABS failure light would come on.

Leading to a bunch of expensive labor for the clueless trouble shooting the fault.

Looking at the EWD for the 98 4Runner I can only guess the 99 should be pretty close .

The only place these two systems can contact is the brake light switch.

So if the brake light circuit is some how connected to the tail lights that could be your problem.

As far as a resistor in the brake light circuit I can see no reason for one after all the purpose of led lights is lower wattage less power draw(brighter/longer life)

why defeat the purpose.

This is what the Led flasher does as well.

The resistors are needed in the hazard and turn signals to cure the hyper flashing .

The cruise control issue could be unrelated if you need the cruise so much return to stock .

See if that cures the problem
Old 12-26-2013, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
The only place these two systems can contact is the brake light switch.
Agree.

So if the brake light circuit is some how connected to the tail lights that could be your problem.
Exactly. O.P. still hasn't confirmed if he has checked 4Runner schematic.

As far as a resistor in the brake light circuit I can see no reason for one after all the purpose of led lights is lower wattage less power draw(brighter/longer life) why defeat the purpose. if you need the cruise so much return to stock .
Amen!

The resistors are needed in the hazard and turn signals to cure the hyper flashing
YUP! I do not see the sense in replacing with LED's if one would end up having to use a parallel resistor which brings power consumption back to what it is before. NOW, if there were an electronic flasher relay (is there?), which eliminates need for parallel resistor, then it makes sense.

In my case, I added an LED fender mounted turn signal, so current through flasher relay did not decrease. Therefore, no need for parallel resistor.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:53 AM

Red face

FYI Napa makes a plug and play electronic flasher part # EP-35L

This works on my 2000 Tacoma not sure what other years without really looking closer.

In my case it was just easier to go to the LED turn signal and marker light on my old Smitty Built bumper install.

in the case of adding the upper fender marker and turn signal led light on the 92 4Runner with 2 1156 blubs still in the circuit no hyper flashing
Old 12-26-2013, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Agree.

Exactly. O.P. still hasn't confirmed if he has checked 4Runner schematic.

YUP! I do not see the sense in replacing with LED's if one would end up having to use a parallel resistor which brings power consumption back to what it is before. NOW, if there were an electronic flasher relay (is there?), which eliminates need for parallel resistor, then it makes sense.
Thanks for the input

I have not found a schematic that shows the interaction of the cruise control with the brake light circuit. If you know where one is I would be happy to look it over to determine what can be done.

As Wyoming9 said, a heavy duty flasher is not going to fix the CC or ABS issues. I'm going to put one in though. It can't hurt!

For me, I replaced the tails because I always liked my Jeep mod that added LEDs, and the tails were not very bright. I like the new ones because they are much brighter. I live and drive quite a bit of Wyoming's highways. Nasty conditions come up quickly and I want those behind me to be able to see I am braking or where I am. In fact, while traveling for the holidays I came into the Elk Mountain region of I-80 and the visibility was terrible due to blowing snow. I saw one older truck had been rear ended because the car behind didn't see it until it was too late...

I want ABS for the same reason.

Cruise isn't a killer. But its nice to stretch my legs a little bit during those longer drives. I'm 6'9" so the 4Runner is a touch small for me anyway. I still love the vehicle though. Thanks again everyone for your help. I am going to go in search of wiring diagrams.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:49 AM

O.P.
You verified that you're connecting your resistor exactly in parallel with the filament of each LED bulb? You see, some bulbs require switched-power while others require switched-ground- meaning tail-light relay or brake switch either interrupt positive side of circuit (between bulb and batt+) or negative side of circuit (between bulb and ground). Connecting to the wrong point could send the wrong trigger to C.C. circuit.

... the tails were not very bright. I like the new ones because they are much brighter.
Cool that you brought this up.
I had been thinking of same point recently.
IF replacement LED lights that require resistors (meaning they're lower power) are brighter than stock bulb, then LED bulbs that use same power as stock would be much brighter. We should find the latter bulb.

An option would be: Leave tail brake lights stock and replace high-mounted ones with LEDs. You might keep almost same current but have brighter high-mounted brake lights.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:34 PM

Red face

With some people even a Flashing strobe light on the back of your vehicle won`t help !!!

Elk Mountain brings back some good memories from back in the seventies when the State Police need to open the gate to let you through after coming off the mountain.

The only real good wiring schematics for these Toyota vehicles are the Toyota Wiring Diagrams .

Which used to be priced reasonable to they were bought by Helm Inc who has more then tripled the price and decided not enough money to be made on some years.

Hence decided to discontinue publishing some years.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:39 PM

Can you still buy one of these books like on Ebay or Amazon? I found a Chilton in town. So far I haven't been able to see where the CC interacts.

My plan for the evening is to spend some time looking through it and see if I can't find anything helpful. NAPA didn't have the LED version of that flasher, so I ordered one online, with my Amazon free two day shipping I will hopefully try it here soon!
Old 12-26-2013, 09:26 PM

Can you still buy one of these books like on Ebay or Amazon?
Hopefully some of our fellow Yota owners had downloaded from the NCTora (or something website that had FSM posted earlier.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:16 AM

Red face

Yes from time to time they come up on Ebay.

One should do there home work and know what the new prices are to know when your getting a good deal

sometimes people can get into a bidding war and drive the price up because they just need to win.

Then your cruise issue might just have been a random failure unrelated to the whole LED adventure .

Quick Reply: LED Tail lights - resistors installed, no cruise when lights are on?