General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

killed my main cluster and tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
killed my main cluster and tail lights

So when I was wiring my locker I decided to play with an unknown accessory plug that was alone by the steering column. There are 4 wires going to the plug and I got a 12v reading on two of them when I would switch the dash lights/headlights to the on position. For some reason I decided to connect them together to see if anything would light up (like a RR DIFF LOCK light on the dash) and I got nothing by connecting the two wires getting power with the two wires that were not showing a volt reading. I was kind of dissapointed that nothing came on so I just left it alone and put an LED light in the system to act as the DIFF LOCK light.

Later that night I discovered that the 4 main lights on the dash cluster were not working so I bought 4 new bulbs at the parts store and put them in. The new bulbs did not change the fact that the cluster is not lighting up and I then discovered that the running lights on my tail lights are out (brakes and blinkers still work fine) and some accessory lights on the dash like the A/C button and surrounding lights are also out.

Any ideas on what I could have fried? I checked all the fuses under the dash and the engine bay by visual inspection and also put a multi meter on the fuses to make sure they showed an ohm resistance of some sort and they all appear to be working.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scratch that...I decided to take another look at the fuses in the sun this time and found the tail fuse to be broken. Maybe it was grounded some how when I looked for an ohm reading on the meter. I think a test light is going on the list of things to buy.