General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Kill Switch? Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Headlight Kill Switch? Help

So some info i just picked up a 96 runner and it has a kill switch wired in somewhere? will only starts when the following is done:

1. depress clutch and keep in
2. turn key to ON
3. Flash head lights
4. turn key over and it starts

or

1. depress clutch and keep in
2. turn key to on
3. flash headlights
4. press clutch cancel
5. turn key over and it starts

either method will not work if the headlights are not flashed, i have no problem starting it but the wifey has trouble every time so i need some help where to look to get it to a normal starting procedure help!

also sometimes when i just turn on the headlights i get this buzzing err err err sound from the relay box
Old 11-06-2010, 12:05 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

That is really strange.

I take it there is some sort of after market alarm that has something messed up .I think some of the vehicles came with a option to turn the headlights off if you shut off the vehicle with the lights on.

Now both those things would tie the headlights into the starting circuit a good place to look for something wired wrong

I would get the Toyota electrical manual for your year and start looking at things If this is something after market the wire color most likely will not match .

Did you buy this off a dealer or private can you go back and ask about this issue??

Good luck in any case
Old 11-06-2010, 12:57 AM

agreed. there most be an after market alarm/remote start that was installed at one point before you picked this thing up. usually these things are stuffed under the dashboard somewhere. or under the hood. my best guess is it would be in the cab. i would get a wiring diagram for the lighting system (since this is whats effected unusually) and trace back the wiring. most places that install these things do a quickie job and just splice in to the factory wires with a splicing clip (usually blue square shaped blocks) that pierces both wires with a metal blade. these are vary easy to spot and know there out of place. also a possible relay hanging in the middle of nowhere might not be out of the question, and may also contribute to your problem as an added feature to the alarm/remote start. i've removes many of these as they were a pain for the people who owned the cars i pulled them from.
good luck, hope this is helpful
Old 11-06-2010, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both our 1999s will leave the lights on after you turn off the engine, then turn off the lights automatically when you open a door.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:46 PM

i believe the 97' and up had a different body control. meaning the lights are on a time delay for perimeter lighting to aid in locating the vehicle in parking lots or just provide light in the dark.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:03 PM

thanks for the advice ive looked under the dash didnt notice anything out of the ordinary but it was a cold day so ill get it into the garage and see if i cant trace something else.

i didnt notice no "brain" after market unit anywhere then again being frustrated looking for something i might have overlooked it. on top of this the wifey is like you should have just gotten me a automatic lol and i thought i picked up a winner:

96 sr5
saw 2.0 front coil overs
rear ome coils
33' duratracs
oh and a kenwood cd player

oh well cant win them all right lol
Old 11-07-2010, 07:58 PM

i almost have to imagine their is some sort of aftermarket controller hiding somewhere that is the cause of your problem. a lot of people just hack these things in but there are some that take their time and make it look the part and blend in. hopefully you will be able to figure this out and let us all know what you find. kind of curious myself as ive never heard of that in any vehicle. i still think tracing back the headlight circuit should get you to a reason for this mystery problem good luck.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:42 AM

Red face

I was going about this the other way.

Just curious what happens if you go through the routine flash the headlights then exit the vehicle to check something for a few minutes .

Will it then start just by pushing in the clutch and turning the key???

I could build something that uses the headlight circuit to pull in a relay that starts a timer holding a set of contacts closed in the starter solenoid circuit.

It would be a royal pain.

Curious to see what happened If the original poster discovered anything
Old 11-10-2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
I was going about this the other way.

Just curious what happens if you go through the routine flash the headlights then exit the vehicle to check something for a few minutes .

Will it then start just by pushing in the clutch and turning the key???

I could build something that uses the headlight circuit to pull in a relay that starts a timer holding a set of contacts closed in the starter solenoid circuit.

It would be a royal pain.

Curious to see what happened If the original poster discovered anything
i will try that method, i havent had a chance to take a look at it but i am off the next two days so im sure i will get it figured out
Old 11-11-2010, 01:28 PM

Red face

Lets back up a second.

Are you telling us without flashing the headlights it will not crank??

Or it cranks but doesn`t start??

I have a 2000 Tacoma that I have to turn the key then wait till the radio powers up before I crank it .If I crank to soon it will not start. I am sure if I waited the same amount of time it would start.

I think it is fuel related but have been to busy to look into it.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:35 PM

problem solved!

i took your guys advice and traced a wire from the drivers side headlight that was tied into the ignition that was tied into this black box. i didnt even notice the box prior to tracing the wire come to find out it had a switch on in that was covered by a rubber boot. and it all looked like stock installation till i ripped that whore out and was labeled advanced theft something crap on it! thanks for your input it got me started in the right direction! thanks again now i can start by clutch cancel or just pressing in the clutch and cranking it over!

they even heat shrinked wrapped the wires it was a pretty good install
Old 12-05-2010, 09:41 AM

it was good. up till it gave you a heck of a headache. glade you got it figured out and always a pleasure to help out. thats what this is all about. the significant other must also be pleased to be able to start it normally.