General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dome light and door switch issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dome light and door switch issues

Hi everyone!

I just bought a 92 Xtra cab v6 so I am new to this whole wrenching thing. I seem to have this problem with the dome light. The dome light turns on when its set to ON and DOOR. But it won't turn off when door is selected and the doors are closed. It seems that the door switch might be constantly grounding itself so it's always on?

I also dont hear a buzzer when the lights are left on or the keys are left in. I am trying to wrap my head around what it could be but I don't know enough about the truck yet... If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great!

Also the lights up by the mirror don't work at all. But I think that's a different issue all together.

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2009, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well it looks like the two are related. If I make sure the mirror lights are in the "off" position then the dome light and buzzer work fine.

If I turn the mirror lights to the "on" position a faint amount of power trickles (not enough to turn on the light but its measurable) through the mirror lights. It also makes the dome light dim and it stays on (buzzer also stops working) regardless of the doors position. This is all with the dome light switched to "door," when switched to "on" the mirror lights don't have any power and the dome light works fine. This might be too complex to explain over the internet. I know the P.O did some lighting work with the dash and must have goobered things up. Anyway if anyone sort of understands this and has some ideas let me know!

Thanks again!