General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Distribution Box - Electral for mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Distribution Box - Electral for mods

Well I am planning on adding some lights in the near future. I really don't like the idea of adding a bunch of wires directly to my battery though. So I was thinking maybe getting a little plastic semi-waterproof box that I can run a wires to for ground a power. Inside of that I could connect whatever I am adding to the electrical system, and keep my battery clean of all but a single extra wire.

How does this sound?

I think it would help me keep everything clean looking and free from multiple wires. I know I would need to use a pretty thick wire if I was planning on running a lot of different things from that box. I am also not sure what the best way to set up a ground for it would be.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's what I used, very professional looking when installed with the addition of some plastic wire conduit.

Painless Wiring Cirkit Boss Auxillary Fuse Box, 4 ignition-on and 3 constant-on circuits
Old 12-11-2006, 08:26 PM

well I don't need anything that special. I was thinking a box with a bolt for power and another bolt for ground. Just to keep it under $20.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I used a 6-way fuse box from Radio Shack (I think that is where I bought it):
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...werPoint.shtml

Just a small plastic box with 6 fuses that I screwed to the side of the engine fuse box:
Old 12-11-2006, 08:39 PM

I am in the process of doing a underhood aux fuse panel too. I got one of those like 6 circuit fuse boxes from Advance and I'm going to try to find a receptacle box of some kind to mount it in (preferably one with a quick release cover). As for power I'm going to mount a couple of these (or something like it) and run one large-ish cable from each battery terminal to each block and there you have your good power and ground. Then just run a positive lead to the fuse box and wire up your stuff.

I want to get new battery cables with proper leads coming off of them when I do mine. I may try to rig up something with that fuse box in the meantime but I will post up if it turns out well.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member

What about something like these or these?

They also make really nice batter terminals.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:00 PM

Check w/ Darren @ www.12voltguy.com.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by chadbobb
well I don't need anything that special. I was thinking a box with a bolt for power and another bolt for ground. Just to keep it under $20.
You need to fuse the wire a few inches from the battery. You can then run to a fuse block. Then each lead from the fuse box will have its own fuse.

You could use a fuse block like one of these:
http://www.wiringproducts.com/?target=dept_96.html
Old 12-16-2006, 06:34 AM

ok
One question then, won't most addons i buy with an installation kit have a fuse? (doesn't the hella 500 installation kit have some kind of its own fuse that allows me to connect it directly the the battery?)
Thats what i was thinking for the fuse. do i need to fuse them again like you said? or should i maybe do what you said and not use the fuse that comes with my kits? (just match of the right one?)
Old 12-16-2006, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Here is what I did:

I have a line from the battery to this fuse block. Each addon has it's own fuse. When an addon you buy comes with it's own fuse, just insert one in the block with the same AMPs and run the wire to the addon. I ground the addon with a short wire where ever the addon is mounted.

Not saying this is right or best... but it works for me and is relatively simple (cheap)

Edit: I have relays between fuse block and addons where needed. Ex: lights

Last edited by Elvota; 12-16-2006 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
That is pretty much like what I run, simple but effective. With the Hella lights I have, they came with fused relays and I used those fuses plus the fuse in the distr. box. For example, I have one fused wire feeding power to my various light relays. Each relay then has it's own fuse. The main fuse protects the wiring between the fuse box and the relays. The separate fuses protect the wiring between the relay/fuse and the lights.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:24 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There should be 30amp relays in likne with your stuff, even if you use another fuse box.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member

One of the first things I did to my truck when I bought it was add fuse and relay boxes. It wasn't "cheap" but it really protects the truck, and keeps everything neat and organized. I even printed labels out to specify what the fuses go to Right now the only thing I have hooked up to it is an upgraded headlight harness, hopefully soon to be HID projectors retrofitted into the headlight housings

Just a note, in the pictures I will post, you will only see one power wire going to the fuse box. The fuse box is actually made to have separate power wires for each circuit. I modified the box to accept a single power wire with a total rating of 30 amps. I placed a circuit breaker as close to the batter as possible. I also soldered ALL my connections.

Fuse box Link (item number HL62936)

Relay box Link (item number HL62943)
Old 12-16-2006, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

Here are some pictures. I have not finished mounting the relay box because it's cold out. I plan on using either rivnuts or screw grommets. Probably screw grommets, the rivnuts are a pita to install. If anyone wants a circuit breaker and cover let me know, I have a couple left over, rated for 30 amps.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:01 PM

if i have a fused relay do i need to have a fusebox?

What my plan is so far
I bought a little black "project" box from radio shack. I am going to run a wire from the battery into it and connect my stuff to it for now (because all of my stuff im doing has its own fuse)
Later i will mount inside of that little box a fuse box, and some relays... etc anything i need.

Does a fused relay still need a fuse? or does the word "fused relay" allow me to not use a fuse because the relay has one?
Old 12-19-2006, 08:13 PM

You should consider putting a fuse w/in six inches of the battery for the wire that is runing to your battery box. The reason is if there is any short, it will probably not occur with in a few inches of the battery but further along where wires are rubbing, etc. So if there is a short, it will pop that fuse, and not cause a fire under your hood. That is the standard and safe way of tapping power from the battery.
You don't really need the project box, but it is something you caould use for convenience. FWIW, Napa sells 6 position 30A fuse blocks for ~$13.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:05 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvota
Here is what I did:

I have a line from the battery to this fuse block. Each addon has it's own fuse. When an addon you buy comes with it's own fuse, just insert one in the block with the same AMPs and run the wire to the addon. I ground the addon with a short wire where ever the addon is mounted.

Not saying this is right or best... but it works for me and is relatively simple (cheap)

i have the same set up... love it. i need to get another block tho, i am running out of spots.

this was taken a while ago... its now full. but you can see the Blue Wire running to the battery and then the rest of the accessories plugged into the block.

Last edited by Tofer; 12-19-2006 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:04 PM

I have a similar setup as Elvota and Tofer with a self resetting circuit breaker between the battery and the distribution box. also I am not a huge audio guy but I have discovered that those guys know their stuff about heavy duty electrical stuff (go figure) great source for heavy gauge wire, master fuses, and distribution boxes
Old 01-04-2007, 08:02 AM

I used an aux fuse box from West Marine - comes with a nice plastic transparent cover. I mounted mine temporarily underhood and fastened it directly on top of the underhood fuse box. Plenty of clearance, nice and high, and has easy access. I'll post pics...

Here is the link to the West Marine fuse accessories. I went with the 12 fuse option - overkill, but why not. Cost me $40 in a local store.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...key=SiteSearch
Old 01-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Elvota
Here is what I did:

I'm running the same setup and love it. The fuse block was $10 at Kragen.