General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Combine window lock switch 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 07:40 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Combine Window Lock 1stGen 4Runner

Has anyone combined the window lock switches?
I see no reason to have the rear and front windows on separate switches. I am rewiring the doors and would like to have one switch that locks all the windows. Not sure if it matters but this is for an 88 1stGen 4runner.

Thanks

Last edited by RBX; 10-19-2010 at 03:13 AM. Reason: title edit
Old 08-27-2010, 02:43 AM
RBX

no one?
not even a "did you try searching", or "why would you even want to lock the rear window"...nothing? No suggestions?
i am going to look over the FSM, to see if i can combine the wires. I know i can just tie the blue together on the rear window lock, and tuck in under the console, but i am defeating the cab switch that prevents the window from going up without the cab on. Applying the window lock would hopefully prevent an accident.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck! I hate wiring and had quite a time figuring out how to merely bypass the rear window lock switch! It seems nobody really wants to mess around with that stuff.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
mines a 95 and is factory that way the lock switch on the door rest locks all 5. maybe compare wiring diagrams
Old 08-27-2010, 08:56 AM
RBX

toyotasaurus, i thought you just tie the two blues together on the switch?

blake,
thanks, i have the FSM, and a few 2ndGens at the pick'n pull iI'll check in it.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup, I think that's how it goes. I have skipped that area for now until I get the new console built
Old 10-06-2010, 11:17 AM
RBX

I am almost there with this, and have figured out how to tie them ALL together. The big trick here is to make sure the rear window doesn't activate while the tailgate is down.....that was the first try, no broken glass.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:12 AM
RBX

Finished!
this mod is really for the 1stGen 4Runner with power windows.
As we know toyota though it would be a great idea to be able to lock the back window, but not the front. this was corrected in the 2nd Generation runner. To me, it isn't a big deal to have a window lock at all, but since i have the truck gutted, i might as well fix this issue.
Fiirst i wanted to activate the courtesy light when you open the tailgate, this can be achieved by splicing the green/red wire on the lock detection switch(door latch left side of the tailgate). I ran that wire all the way to the driver courtesy light and spliced into the re/white wire in the kick panel.
Open the tailgate and the courtesy/dome light kicks on....i like this so much i put a second light in the rear. Link to tailgate courtesy mod.
now that we have the tailgate open, snip the white/black wire(ground) from the three prong plug for the lock detection switch. This is now defeating the ground for the sensor. I spliced a new wire in to the white/black ground and ran it up to the driver side kick panel where the power window ground can be found(white/black also...snip this a few inches from the blue connector).
I then took a window lock switch and tied the power window ground(on the side leading to the window switch) and the blue/red wire from the tailgate window switch and tie them to the blue/red wire coming off of the window lock switch (i like keeping the connectors on my switches, so i always snip or splice before the connector).
Now tie the other leg of the window lock switch to the power window ground (white/black) that you snipped earlier.
Done! Now the window lock locks all the windows....But....i realized after i did this that if i put the tailgate down the front windows will move up and down with or without the window lock switch activated. To me this isn't a big deal, as i first had a ground issue where the window in the tailgate would work whether the gate was up or down....not good.
I will try to get a wire schematic up, and a few pictures.